MMA Thread

QUOTE (SoxFan562004 @ Jul 17, 2009 -> 11:47 PM)
that tells me there is no money out there close to UFC money for him

Guess Tito is finally finding out he isnt a major player in MMA today. Wouldve liked to seen him outside of the UFC just to see different matchups. But inside the octagon he is nothing more than a gatekeeper at this point.

QUOTE (zenryan @ Jul 18, 2009 -> 12:43 AM)
Guess Tito is finally finding out he isnt a major player in MMA today. Wouldve liked to seen him outside of the UFC just to see different matchups. But inside the octagon he is nothing more than a gatekeeper at this point.

My guess is there were some pretty decent offers for Tito out there, but at this point nothing like the UFC can offer for a 3-4 fight deal. Strikeforce is staying with a good business model by not spending crazy money on 1 fighter and Affliction basically said at the beginning they'll do 3 high payroll shows and reevaluate, so they probably weren't offering Tito more than a 1 fight payday.

His best hope, and the mmaweekly.com article refers to it, is CBS was involved in some of the negotiations, probably them puting some money towards him so a big name could headline a CBS show.

Ideally I would imagine they would protect him for a fight or two and then he'd fight the loser of the Rashad/Rampage fight.

MMAweekly has removed Tito's twitter comments from their story because the account's authenticity is in question.

Edited by SoxFan562004

QUOTE (SoxFan562004 @ Jul 20, 2009 -> 10:57 PM)
Hendo/Franklin II at LHW main eventing 103

You can look at this in a couple of ways. 1. The UFC needed a main event for 103 & this is the best they could do. Or you could say that since the last fight could of gone either way that a definite win will do big things for the winner. Henderson/Silva II or Franklin being a major player at 205. You could also say that if Henderson were to lose, the winner of the Marquardt/Maia fight will be the #1 contender at 185.

This is utter crap having Henderson face Franklin. What more does Henderson need to do to get a rematch with Silva. For whatever reason Dana wants to shove Franklin down our throats and we all know how a Franklin/Silva 3 would turn out. Franklin loses to Hendo, goes the limit against a past his prime Wandy and gets a rematch against Hendo? Makes zero sense and I wont have any problem streaming this event online. If this is the main event then I might just watch football that night instead.

QUOTE (zenryan @ Jul 21, 2009 -> 01:35 AM)
This is utter crap having Henderson face Franklin. What more does Henderson need to do to get a rematch with Silva. For whatever reason Dana wants to shove Franklin down our throats and we all know how a Franklin/Silva 3 would turn out. Franklin loses to Hendo, goes the limit against a past his prime Wandy and gets a rematch against Hendo? Makes zero sense and I wont have any problem streaming this event online. If this is the main event then I might just watch football that night instead.

Yeah, that is pretty weak. Hendo definitely deserves a rematch. I guess we will have to see him go through Rich before that happens though.

If Franklin somehow wins what is next for him? A fight against another 205er or a rematch with Silva where he gets murdered again?

QUOTE (SoxFanForever @ Jul 21, 2009 -> 03:14 PM)
Yeah, that is pretty weak. Hendo definitely deserves a rematch. I guess we will have to see him go through Rich before that happens though.

If Franklin somehow wins what is next for him? A fight against another 205er or a rematch with Silva where he gets murdered again?

they could say Hendo gets a 185 shot no matter what happens at the 205 bout, and since Silva's fighting in Aug and Hendo in Sept, it really wouldn't delay it barring a major injury from one of the two.

QUOTE (SoxFanForever @ Jul 21, 2009 -> 03:14 PM)

I think Franklin is staying at 205 no matter what. There's no interest in a Silva/Franklin III. I guess they could do it at 205? Or if Forrest & Rich both win, then they fight each other at the end of the year I'd assume.

The Hendo-Franklin rematch should be fun if nothing else. I think the fight is going to go pretty much the same way, but this time I think Franklin gets the decision. None of this should have any bearing on the title picture anyway since Franklin is a 205'er now and Hendo losing to a tough 205'er shouldn't really hurt his standing.

The best matchup in the UFC for Anderson at 185 has to be Maia because he at least can beat Silva in one aspect of the game, but I think the UFC would be very hesitant to do that after the Leites affair, which really sucks BTW. But, if Maia can find a way to pull guard on Marquardt and submit him there's no possible way you can deny the guy. If Maia loses though, or if Maia wins and the UFC doesn't want to do Spider-Maia, then Hendo is probably the best style matchup. Too bad Anderson and Lyoto are training partners and friends because IMO that would be the best and most interesting fight that could be put on in all of MMA right now.

Edited by Kenny Hates Prospects

multiple websites are reporting Josh Barnett is out, or at least the match is in jeopardy, of the Aug. 1 Affliction fight against Fedor. (Edit: Attencio now confirming Barnett is out)

mmaweekly aludes to a "positive test" and he can't get licensed in CA.

Talk about Lashley taking the fight, but Lashley said he hasn't been training much since his last fight and isn't sure he would want it at this point.

Belfort is the other name being thrown around. I mean, I guess, but he is eleven days out from a planned 185 cut. Also, it would make sense for his camp to somehow get Zuffa's feeling on it. If Zuffa says they don't care if he loses at HW, and they still want him at 185 after this event, then he should take it, but if they indicate they wouldn't want a part of him if he loses to Fedor, then it would make good sense for Belfort to turn it down. I imagine they can't "officially" talk to Zuffa, but there's ways.

Tito is a name, but I'm not sure on the the status of his back, I think I remember hearing he wouldn't be available to the fall, and also from a business standpoint, 11 days notice to fight one of, if not the best P4P fighter on earth? Wouldn't make much sense and eleven days to promote it wouldn't bring a great return.

Werdum is a reasonable. Overeem pulled out of his Aug. 15th fight with him on Strikeforce due to an injury, so it's realistic for him to be ready and sanctioned in 11 days

Edited by SoxFan562004

QUOTE (SoxFan562004 @ Jul 22, 2009 -> 09:19 AM)
multiple websites are reporting Josh Barnett is out, or at least the match is in jeopardy, of the Aug. 1 Affliction fight against Fedor. (Edit: Attencio now confirming Barnett is out)

mmaweekly aludes to a "positive test" and he can't get licensed in CA.

Talk about Lashley taking the fight, but Lashley said he hasn't been training much since his last fight and isn't sure he would want it at this point.

Belfort is the other name being thrown around. I mean, I guess, but he is eleven days out from a planned 185 cut. Also, it would make sense for his camp to somehow get Zuffa's feeling on it. If Zuffa says they don't care if he gets loses at HW, and they still want him at 185 after this event, then he should take it, but if they indicate they wouldn't want a part of him if he loses to Fedor, then it would make good sense for Belfort to turn it down. I imagine they can't "officially" talk to Zuffa, but there's ways.

Tito is a name, but I'm not sure on the the status of his back, I think I remember hearing he wouldn't be available to the fall, and also from a business standpoint, 11 days notice to fight one of, if not the best P4P fighter on earth? Wouldn't make much sense and eleven days to promote it wouldn't bring a great return.

Werdum is a reasonable. Overeem pulled out of his Aug. 15th fight with him on Strikeforce due to an injury, so it's realistic for him to be ready and sanctioned in 11 days

For Affliction, this blows. My caring about this event just lowered about 70%.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Jul 22, 2009 -> 10:15 AM)
I dont know if anyone noticed or cared, but Kimo Leopoldo was dead yesterday according to news reports, but today he is very much alive

I saw & read, but knew something was fishy when no one could confirm it.

QUOTE (zenryan @ Jul 22, 2009 -> 12:52 PM)
RIP Affliction

Wonder if Dana got to CSAC...

Seriously? I highly doubt he would risk criminal charges and being banned from ever being allowed within 1000ft of another U.S. AC sanctioned event to try and take down a company that is most likely running their last high payroll event.

I hope it's:

1. Belfort

2. Lashley

3. Rogers

4. anyone else

If it's any of the first three then I am immediately much more excited about the fight than I'd be if it were Barnett as scheduled. At least Belfort has big speed and power, Lashley has very strong wrestling, and Rogers has sick power. Barnett has nothing that can even come close to challenging Fedor anywhere IMO, he's just well-rounded. Would still take Fedor via KO over all of them, but I think those guys are more dangerous for him, especially on short notice.

QUOTE (Kenny Hates Prospects @ Jul 22, 2009 -> 05:45 PM)
I hope it's:

1. Belfort

2. Lashley

3. Rogers

4. anyone else

If it's any of the first three then I am immediately much more excited about the fight than I'd be if it were Barnett as scheduled. At least Belfort has big speed and power, Lashley has very strong wrestling, and Rogers has sick power. Barnett has nothing that can even come close to challenging Fedor anywhere IMO, he's just well-rounded. Would still take Fedor via KO over all of them, but I think those guys are more dangerous for him, especially on short notice.

I think Barnett is more of a threat than any of those guys. He is a big guy who if he got Fedor down he could avoid getting submitted.

Vitor would probably be giving 15-20 pounds to Fedor. Vitor has never won a big fight. Not counting the fluke cut vs Couture.

Lashley would get the take down but would be submitted within minutes.

Rogers has some steam right now but I dont see him as a threat to Fedor. He has only beaten 1 fight worth noting and Fedor could end the fight in 2 minutes if he decided to go to the ground.

Sucks that Overeem is healing his injury. Shoot, I think I'd be pretty excited for a Fedor/Roger Gracie fight if he wasnt dealing with the health problem of his kid.

Only fight that really makes any sense is Vitor or me. I'd be willing to take a 30 second beating for 30k.

QUOTE (Kenny Hates Prospects @ Jul 22, 2009 -> 04:45 PM)
I hope it's:

1. Belfort

2. Lashley

3. Rogers

4. anyone else

Meltzer is saying that Tompkins, one of Belfort's trainers, said Belfort has signed a contract, so it sounds like it will be him.

I have a ton of respect for Belfort, but this fight doesn't really excite me because it's a guy who was cutting and training for a 185 fight in eleven days jumping up to take it. I have a ton of respect for him, but as a MMA fan, it doesn't really excite me too much. Belfort has big power I agree, but Fedor's fought HWs with big power for HWs. Fedor will swarm him and put on a sambo clinic and get it to the ground.

This really hurts Affliction, not that one PPV was going to turn them around, but Barnett was ranked in basically all top 5 HWs, and don't underestimate well rounded, those are the guys that can sneak up on you.

Worth noting that Meltzer said they haven't tested the B sample, so there's a small chance, but never in CSAC history has the B sample been different than the A sample.

QUOTE (zenryan @ Jul 22, 2009 -> 05:17 PM)
I think Barnett is more of a threat than any of those guys. He is a big guy who if he got Fedor down he could avoid getting submitted.

Vitor would probably be giving 15-20 pounds to Fedor. Vitor has never won a big fight. Not counting the fluke cut vs Couture.

Lashley would get the take down but would be submitted within minutes.

Rogers has some steam right now but I dont see him as a threat to Fedor. He has only beaten 1 fight worth noting and Fedor could end the fight in 2 minutes if he decided to go to the ground.

Sucks that Overeem is healing his injury. Shoot, I think I'd be pretty excited for a Fedor/Roger Gracie fight if he wasnt dealing with the health problem of his kid.

Only fight that really makes any sense is Vitor or me. I'd be willing to take a 30 second beating for 30k.

Well Arona makes a ton of sense to me, but I imagine getting him sanctioned in time and the fact he has zero name value in the US past hardcores made that a non-issue.

I would imagine that Vitor's people talked to Zuffa and they said they would still be interested in him at 185 no matter what happens, and if he pulls out a victory, which hey, it's MMA, you never know, he can tell Zuffa to back the truck up to his house.

Sounds like there's a ton of red tape with Rogers and if that's not the matchup that's why.

I'm out of town that weekend and was going to TiVo it, but two of the big fights I wanted to see were Fedor/Barnett and Vitor/Santiago, I'm a huge MMA fan so I'll likely just still get it.

that 15-20 pounds is even bigger considering he was cutting to 185. He had to have a camp focused on that weight, I would have been more interested in the fight if he had a camp where he was prepping to come in at, 210-215

Edited by SoxFan562004

QUOTE (zenryan @ Jul 22, 2009 -> 05:26 PM)
Ken Shamrock has thrown his name out there now! hahaha

f*** it, this main event is screwed anyways so lets see Shammy get destroyed.

OMG, i would say the NSAC would never sanction that fight at this point in Shammy's career, but they sanctioned that last Cyborg fight, so you never know.

This screwed Affliction horribly and they're doing the best they can.

He might also get cut warming up too.

Edited by SoxFan562004