MMA Thread

QUOTE (Kenny Hates Prospects @ Jul 9, 2009 -> 12:47 PM)
That's exciting. I LOVE Cigano! It'll be great seeing him beat up on another name and get some more recognition. He's the best HW prospect in the UFC right now IMO, if you don't count Carwin as a prospect. That HW division just keeps getting more refreshing. Sucks they missed out on Roger Gracie (how awesome would it have been if he'd gotten a sub win at UFC 100?) but they still have a shot at Lashley, who needs to up his competition and fight someone who he can't just take down at will, or at least someone who is dangerous off his back if it does go to the ground.

I think you'll see Lashley in Strikeforce before the UFC. It just makes more sense for him.

I can't wait for this card. Sick.

I'm all heart for Mir but I think Brock's gonna win.

GSP all the way too.

Did you guys hear of Arena Sports Bar and Grill in Elhmurst, has anyone been there? I'm gonna try to watch the even over there tomorrow, just not sure what time I should get there.

QUOTE (tommy @ Jul 10, 2009 -> 01:58 PM)

GSP all the way too.

Did you guys hear of Arena Sports Bar and Grill in Elhmurst, has anyone been there? I'm gonna try to watch the even over there tomorrow, just not sure what time I should get there.

Never been to the restaurant and have no idea how early those places start filling up, but just so you know the UFC is doing a deal now where if you buy the PPV off UFC.com you get all the prelims streamed after the fights. That might be a cool thing to do if you trust your internet connection, but me personally, I'd probably be freaked out about losing the stream mid-fight or something. My internet kind of sucks sometimes.

QUOTE (MHizzle85 @ Jul 9, 2009 -> 03:08 PM)
I think you'll see Lashley in Strikeforce before the UFC. It just makes more sense for him.

I'm not all that sure about Lashley and what his plans are. He says he wants to build himself up and then make a big move, but with the wrestling and athletic ability that guy has he could beat some top contenders right now. I think whoever offers the most money is where he'll go. You might be right about Strikeforce being the better fit for him too because he's not going to have to face the Lesnar/Carwin/Velasquez/Randy 4-headed wrestling monster in Strikeforce. I do definitely think Strikeforce would be wise to overpay for him if it came to it because Lashley would be a great draw when they start running shows on network TV in the fall. He could be their Kimbo I guess, but Lashley is 100X the prospect Kimbo ever was.

QUOTE (tommy @ Jul 10, 2009 -> 01:58 PM)

GSP all the way too.

I usually head to The Foundry over in the Fox Valley area. It usually depends on who's fighting. Since this card has some pretty big names I wouldn't get there any later than 7:30...that's just my guess.

QUOTE (MHizzle85 @ Jul 10, 2009 -> 05:57 PM)
I usually head to The Foundry over in the Fox Valley area. It usually depends on who's fighting. Since this card has some pretty big names I wouldn't get there any later than 7:30...that's just my guess.

The Foundry is great. Champ's and BDubs usually have it too.

Picks for 100:

Lesnar, TKO-2nd. I really like Mir, but I just don't know. I hope I'm proven wrong.

GSP, TKO-4th.

Hendo, TKO-1st

Belcher, TKO-3rd

Bonnar, TKO-2nd

Miller, UD

O'Brien, UD

Grant, 1st Round Sub.

Dollaway, TKO-1st

Gugerty, 2nd Round Sub.

As soon as the bell rung, Bisping was running away from Henderson. He had all the bravado and machismo a guy could muster when he stepped in the ring, but when Henderson started stalking him he just ran and ducked. It was good to see bisping get his jaw popped for good measure.

Even though he lacked class from start to finish, Brock Lesnar had the best post-fight interview ever.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Jul 12, 2009 -> 08:58 AM)
Even though he lacked class from start to finish, Brock Lesnar had the best post-fight interview ever.

a vast majority of that is Lesnar's WWE experience showing. He knows how much money can be in a heel champ being chased by a fan favorite contender. He is playing this up perfectly. Zuffa has to be doing back flips over him right now, they are in the position to make a ton of money with him

QUOTE (SoxFan562004 @ Jul 12, 2009 -> 09:59 AM)
a vast majority of that is Lesnar's WWE experience showing. He knows how much money can be in a heel champ being chased by a fan favorite contender. He is playing this up perfectly. Zuffa has to be doing back flips over him right now, they are in the position to make a ton of money with him

No i loved it. The score had people calling and complaining about it, but I think brock is the heel champ everyone wanted to appear.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Jul 12, 2009 -> 10:26 AM)
No i loved it. The score had people calling and complaining about it, but I think brock is the heel champ everyone wanted to appear.

exactly, the MMA boards are going ape over him too, which is exactly what he wanted. Now the UFC can have him fight whoever they want and it will draw huge money, with the ultimate payoff being if they can land Fedor in the next year or so, that way if Fedor beats him he is instantly a huge star to the casual MMA fan.

I enjoy this.

Also, Henderson is God.

QUOTE (SoxFan562004 @ Jul 12, 2009 -> 10:38 AM)
exactly, the MMA boards are going ape over him too, which is exactly what he wanted. Now the UFC can have him fight whoever they want and it will draw huge money, with the ultimate payoff being if they can land Fedor in the next year or so, that way if Fedor beats him he is instantly a huge star to the casual MMA fan.

I enjoy this.

Also, Henderson is God.

he sure made Bisping's toes curl, didnt he?

Edited by KyYlE23

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Jul 12, 2009 -> 10:26 AM)

Completely agreed. I love hating him right now. I can't wait for someone to knock him out...if that is possible.

Thoughts on last night. I'll continue the hiding spoiler thread I suppose.

Belcher got robbed. I suppose because of Akiyama's takedowns & whatnot decided it. But damn, judging in MMA really needs to be looked at.

Dan Henderson now has my favorite KO of all time. I was watching at a bar, never have I jumped out of my seat like that.

GSP = best in the world. Last 2 rounds with a pulled groin. Beats a man who came in bigger than him. No one can touch him in this division. Joe Silva said during the fight that he'd get the winner of Kampmann/Swick....

When Mir was getting his face pounded in at the end, I couldn't even watch. As for the interview, it didn't upset me...it just seemed kinda tacky. It'll sell PPVs, but if you're not a fan already of Lesnar such as myself, it does nothing for me.

Fitch looked good. Damn shame it was after all the fights since there was no energy left.

The people complaining about Lesnar are completely out of touch on how this works. People are angry that he flipped off the crowd? He's fighting in Vegas where Mir lives and is very popular. Did anyone watch the countdown to UFC 100? Did they see the **** Mir talked? Did they see one of Mir' training partners imitating Lesnar as being a muscled up goof and claiming this isn't WWE? All of these hardcore MMA fans cannot stand that the "fake" wrestling guy is winning vs their heroes. These MMA Hardcore fans want it to go back to the late 90's and early 2000's where nobody was watching except them. They want the pure sport and competition.

That's funny to me because the IFL tried that, with the team aspect and that didn't draw anything. Nobody watched, and nobody cared. You need the silly antics and the **** talking to get people interested in the fight to get them to pay $50 to order the show. If you don't have this aspect why the hell would you want to pay $50 to watch 2 guys fight that you don't care about?

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Jul 12, 2009 -> 12:15 PM)
Completely agreed. I love hating him right now. I can't wait for someone to knock him out...if that is possible.

Anyone can be beaten or knocked out. Brock's chin really hasn't been tested yet by a legitimate heavy hitter. I'm not really sure who they will throw at him next in the HW division but I'm looking forward to someone dropping him.