Cotts pitching well

Cerbaho-WG

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Good to see Cotts keeping up the pace, but why the hell can't he seem to get past that 5 inning mark, he really must throw a lot of pitches in those 5 innings. I know he's still coming back from the DL, but he didn't go very deep in games before.

Good to see Cotts keeping up the pace, but why the hell can't he seem to get past that 5 inning mark, he really must throw a lot of pitches in those 5 innings. I know he's still coming back from the DL, but he didn't go very deep in games before.

I don't know why he's only getting into the 5th inning here. At ISU, he was able to pitch complete games, and went deep into games all the time. It was unheard of for him to go any less than seven innings. Maybe he's throwing too hard, and it's wearing on his arm.

He wouldn't have a pitch count, would he?

He was likely limited in some fashion tonight, since this was just his second start after coming off the DL (he went 4 the first start).

Earlier in the season, he was walking too many and going deep into counts with almost every hitter, hence him only going 5 or 6 innings per outing. That is exactly what he he needs to improve on to continue up the ladder. He has only walked one in each of his first two outings since coming off the DL, so perhaps improvement is being made.

I don't know why he's only getting into the 5th inning here.  At ISU, he was able to pitch complete games, and went deep into games all the time.  It was unheard of for him to go any less than seven innings.  Maybe he's throwing too hard, and it's wearing on his arm.

Heather that may be true, but college pitchers often pitch into the 130-140 pitch count range. My understanding is that he threw a lot of pitches at ISU as well.

He must be retarted! Geez, Cotts is one of, if not the, top pitching prospect. What are the chances of him being a September Call-Up?

Doubtful, here's why.

Cotts was drafted in the 2001 draft. He does not have to be put on the 40-man roster until after three full seasons which would be after the 2004 campaign. Unless the Sox really feel they need him, they will not likely call him up until they have to. A September 2004 callup is more likely (if he isn't already in the big leagues), but even then it might not be the smartest move.

As soon as a player is placed on the 40-man roster and called up to the Show, his service time clock starts ticking. Which means that arbitration and free agency get here sooner.

If the Sox feel he is ready to make a solid contribution, then they will call him up regardless of all of the above. But a courtesy September call up is not a very likely move.

If Cotts keeps putting up stellar numbers, and say Wright falters, I wouldn't be surprised to see Cotts get a callup. The Knights have real no starter to be called up, maybe Rauch but he's not fairing too well.

As I said, if they feel he can make a real contribution, then they could call him up. But both Rauch and Adkins are on the 40-man and may get shots first. Before you scream ADKINS?, look at his last 6 or 7 starts. He's on fire. Rauch has been solid as well, just not spectacular.

But it happened with Buehrle, it happened with Wells, so it could happen with Cotts as well.

I think Cotts, like myself, need to be protected on the 40 man after this season. It is only 2 full seasons for guys drafted out of college and it is 3 full seasons for high school draftees. ie Honel etc. Cottsy has almost solidified himself on the 40 man for next year and we have heard that a Sept. call up is not out of question for him this season.

In terms of his pitch count and 5 inning starts, those have come about because when you strike out 10 dudes in 5 innings youre gonna throw a lot of pitches plus he is only 2 starts deep since his stint on the DL.

Finally be sure to watch the Cardinals game tomorrow if anyone gets a chance because my best friend form high school Dan Haren is going to make his big league debut against the Giants!!!

He must be retarted! Geez, Cotts is one of, if not the, top pitching prospect. What are the chances of him being a September Call-Up?

A) Kris Honel.

B ) I don't know what team you've been watching but I'm fairly certain that we need a damn bat. Trade Cotts now before he implodes and get a solid lead-off hitter out of him.

Before you scream ADKINS?, look at his last 6 or 7 starts. He's on fire. Rauch has been solid as well, just not spectacular

For someone who supposedly throws in mid-90's and has a good secondary pitch, he sure as hell K's a lot of people...

Can you break his repertoir down for me, oh sexy-Rexy? Thanks.

Cotts is 88-92 with an above average curveball and solid changeup. He has mastered the art of throwing fastballs above the zone and getting hitters to swing. He also punches out a lot of guys with fastballs in. His fastball looks like it is 95 with the way that some hitters react to it. He has a little funky foot tap like Rob Nen and It think that throws off the hitters timing a bit thus making it look like he's pumping 100 mph by guys but it is usually around 89-90

I think Cotts, like myself, need to be protected on the 40 man after this season.  It is only 2 full seasons for guys drafted out of college and it is 3 full seasons for high school draftees. ie Honel etc.  Cottsy has almost solidified himself on the 40 man for next year and we have heard that a Sept. call up is not out of question for him this season. 

In terms of his pitch count and 5 inning starts, those have come about because when you strike out 10 dudes in 5 innings youre gonna throw a lot of pitches plus he is only 2 starts deep since his stint on the DL.

Finally be sure to watch the Cardinals game tomorrow if anyone gets a chance because my best friend form high school Dan Haren is going to make his big league debut against the Giants!!!

Hey Jim, is the 2/3 year requirements for the 40-man roster new? It used to be 3 for college guys and 4 for HS draftees.

If he indeed must be put on the 40-man this year, then a callup is much more likely. My understanding was that he wouldn't have to go on the 40-man until after 2004.

As far as pitch counts and going deep into games, I noted that he was limited because of coming off the DL. But do you not agree that 100 pitches in 5 innings (as he was near in earlier starts) is too many? Even if he is striking out 10 guys in 5 innings, when he gets to the Big Leagues he will have to go deeper into games than 5-6 innings. If he cuts down on his walks (which he seems to have lately) than this is a non-issue as it will take care of itself. But to be successful in the Majors, 5 inning stints won't keep you in the rotation long. I know they are being careful with him and that he probably could go 120 pitches occasionally, but the only weakness I can see in him is that very issue. Walks and the ability to go deeper into games. If he solves those issues, then the sky is the limit for him. There is no doubt he knows how to pitch and has the quality pitches to pitch in the Show.

ya i agree that 100 pitches in 5 innings is a lot. you want to be in the 75 -80 range if you can. we only are alotted 100 pitches as a starter anyway so we all try to minimize our counts as much as possible so we can get deep into games and put ourselves and the team in line for the win. But when you strike out 7-10 hitters in 5 inn. as Neal often does then right there you lose 21-30, assuming of course that every k is in 3 pitches, which is never the case. so actually you are losing around 40-50 pitches with those k totals. the funny thing too is that cotts wants early pitch contact but the hitters have some serious issues with putting his ball into play. thus he k's more guys than he actually wants to. yesterday he threw only 85 pitches i think so if he wasnt coming off the dl he would have gone 1-2 more inn.

ya i agree that 100 pitches in 5 innings is a lot.  you want to be in the 75 -80 range if you can.  we only are alotted 100 pitches as a starter anyway so we all try to minimize our counts as much as possible so we can get deep into games and put ourselves and the team in line for the win.  But when you strike out 7-10 hitters in 5 inn. as Neal often does then right there you lose 21-30, assuming of course that every k is in 3 pitches, which is never the case.  so actually you are losing around 40-50 pitches with those k totals.  the funny thing too is that cotts wants early pitch contact but the hitters have some serious issues with putting his ball into play. thus he k's more guys than he actually wants to.  yesterday he threw only 85 pitches i think so if he wasnt coming off the dl he would have gone 1-2 more inn.

I look forward to continuing to seeing him pitch. He is one of many excellent pitchers that have run through Birmingham in the last few years and has as much upside as any of them.

By the way, are you done with spot starts yet? Seems those are the only thing that is hurting your stats. And didn't I see that you went 6 innings in one game on the trip, only to come back and pitch out of the pen two days later? Let's see if we can't stop the rainouts so you can stay in the pen where you seem to have found your groove. :)

Another question from Josh Boyd's Live Chat on Friday (Baseball America Online)...

Q: Noffs from Albany, NY asks:

How's it going, prospect maven? Will Neal Cotts make Kenny Williams look good next to Billy Beane for once?

A: Josh Boyd: I think so, and don't forget the fact he grabbed Miguel Olivo for Chad Bradford.