Josh Fields and team's lack of clutch hits

greg775

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Jun 24, 2007 -> 09:56 PM)
Anderson has been injured (shoulder) of late and suffered a slight concussion yesterday. He's been DH'ing for the majority of the time since being demoted due to his shoulder injury. So it would have made no sense to promote Anderson when he's incapable of playing the field, I doubt it has anything to do with them "hating him."

I think they still hate him but good point anyway.

He's never going to be Crede defensively but that's ok. He'll be adequate.

The guy is going to hit and drive in a lot of runs. Even more importantly, he will have a high OBP. This guy will walk more in his first full season than Crede did in 2 seasons.

I'm fine to keep him at third and leave him alone.

How about finding 3 outfielders that can hit ? That shouldn't be so hard especially since we have 4 quality veteran starting pitchers to dangle .

QUOTE(fathom @ Jun 24, 2007 -> 09:43 PM)
His D has been just fine so far....why do people make it sound like it's been a major issue?

because they havent watched him actually play, and instead are going off of their previous notions about Josh. He is as close to a prime time prospect than we have had in years. He is going to be fine, and right now is better than Joe Crede was.

QUOTE(BearSox @ Jun 24, 2007 -> 07:42 PM)
We must not be watching the same games then. Cause to me, he looks like a rookie.

+1

QUOTE(fathom @ Jun 24, 2007 -> 07:43 PM)
His D has been just fine so far....why do people make it sound like it's been a major issue?

His D has been unspectacular, but adequate. He's living in the defensive shadow of Crede and Ventura, which doesn't help.

I think he'll be fine in the long run.

QUOTE(WCSox @ Jun 25, 2007 -> 12:21 PM)
+1

His D has been unspectacular, but adequate. He's living in the defensive shadow of Crede and Ventura, which doesn't help.

I think he'll be fine in the long run.

Yep, the D has been fine, but we are all used to watching Crede over there. What rookie is not going to look bad compared to Crede on D?

QUOTE(WHITESOXRANDY @ Jun 25, 2007 -> 10:22 AM)
He's never going to be Crede defensively but that's ok. He'll be adequate.

The guy is going to hit and drive in a lot of runs. Even more importantly, he will have a high OBP. This guy will walk more in his first full season than Crede did in 2 seasons.

I'm fine to keep him at third and leave him alone.

How about finding 3 outfielders that can hit ? That shouldn't be so hard especially since we have 4 quality veteran starting pitchers to dangle .

He's a strikeout machine that will have to make a lot of adjustments to be successful regularly in the major leagues. I don't know how anyone can come to the conclusion that he will have a high OBP at this point. I think people are forgetting Crede hit 30 homers and was hitting over .300 until his back gave way last season. If he's healthy, he's damn good. Better than Fields. If he's hurt, Fields is better, but its not like he's lighting it up right now.

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Jun 25, 2007 -> 02:07 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
He's a strikeout machine that will have to make a lot of adjustments to be successful regularly in the major leagues. I don't know how anyone can come to the conclusion that he will have a high OBP at this point. I think people are forgetting Crede hit 30 homers and was hitting over .300 until his back gave way last season. If he's healthy, he's damn good. Better than Fields. If he's hurt, Fields is better, but its not like he's lighting it up right now.

Just yesterday he did something VERY WELL that Crede wouldn't have done - bases loaded walk.

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Jun 25, 2007 -> 02:07 PM)

You realize that Crede up until last year was a poor poor hitter.

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Jun 25, 2007 -> 02:07 PM)

Because, he takes pitches. I think he's a better hitter than Crede. Not as much power, but a better hitter. Better approach at the plate. And Crede IS hurt and will stay hurt. Back problems, even with surgery, usually do not go away. Those are scary. I'm not saying it can't happen, but I'll take my chances with Fields at this point. Yeah, he strikes out a lot, but so does Hunter Pence and he's batting .350.

QUOTE(southsideirish71 @ Jun 26, 2007 -> 10:32 AM)
You realize that Crede up until last year was a poor poor hitter.

In 2002 he put up great numbers in a role similar to what Fields has this year. If Fields equals Crede's 2002 output, there will be talk on where to put his statue. Crede hit .285 with 12 homers in about 200 at bats in 2002. 2003 he hit .261 with 19 homers. 2004 was poor, 2005 was poor until September, and 2006 was excellent until September. Its not like Fields is hitting .350. Or .250 now. His OBP is lower than Uribe's, and he's already fanned more than Crede this season. He has a long way to go.

Edited by Dick Allen

I'm not saying that I think Fields will be an All-Star but I think his defense will be fine, he can run a little bit so one less plodder on the bases and he'll hit in the .250-.280 range with an OBP of .330-.360 25-35 homeruns and knock in 90-110.

That's my prediction. If he can do the low end of that, it'll be one less position for the Sox to worry about. Fill the other 5-6 holes.

QUOTE(WHITESOXRANDY @ Jun 26, 2007 -> 11:55 AM)
I'm not saying that I think Fields will be an All-Star but I think his defense will be fine, he can run a little bit so one less plodder on the bases and he'll hit in the .250-.280 range with an OBP of .330-.360 25-35 homeruns and knock in 90-110.

That's my prediction. If he can do the low end of that, it'll be one less position for the Sox to worry about. Fill the other 5-6 holes.

Yeah, I'm thinking he'll probably be a .700-.950 OPS player.