Official Recruiting Thread II

• Replies 4.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (fathom @ Feb 15, 2011 -> 09:38 AM)
And it guarantees that Griffey and/or Richmond are gone. Much more likely it's Griffey transferring, possibly to Missouri.

Weber recently talked about how Mike Shaw as a freshman can play major minutes next season with Mike Davis graduating. Griffey would be a returning junior playing the same position...and Weber has already written him out of next season. It seems pretty likely he's gone. Which is a shame, because he is talented -- if Griffey had gone to Wisconsin he'd be a solid Big Ten player. I take that as commentary on the respective abilities of the two coaching staffs.

QUOTE (hitlesswonder @ Feb 22, 2011 -> 02:02 PM)
Weber recently talked about how Mike Shaw as a freshman can play major minutes next season with Mike Davis graduating. Griffey would be a returning junior playing the same position...and Weber has already written him out of next season. It seems pretty likely he's gone. Which is a shame, because he is talented -- if Griffey had gone to Wisconsin he'd be a solid Big Ten player. I take that as commentary on the respective abilities of the two coaching staffs.

Ugh, again with the hard-on for being anti-Weber/Illinois.

Also, Griffey just came in at a s***ty time. He's behind 2 seniors and a blue chip freshman, along with the team often running 3 guards. Wisconsin probably would have been better simply because he would have played limited minutes for 2-3 years and then maybe played a more important role in his last two years. He doesn't have room on this team, regardless of his "talent" (which i think is overrated in comparison to the conference).

Edit: Also, you should read more into Weber being high on one of his big recruits. Cuz that NEVER happens in d1 basketball. Ask all those kids at IU who were kicked off the team for the incoming freshman.

Edited by Jenksismybitch

Last week was very productive for my Tarheels, not only did they soundly whip archrival Duke, but they got what was expected from JP Tokoto with his commitment to UNC for 2013. Only real question was if Wisconsin had a shot to pry him away from the Heels. With Paige and Tokoto inked for 2013 I like the class so far, now they just have to get their big.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Mar 1, 2011 -> 05:34 PM)
Ugh, again with the hard-on for being anti-Weber/Illinois.

Also, Griffey just came in at a s***ty time. He's behind 2 seniors and a blue chip freshman, along with the team often running 3 guards. Wisconsin probably would have been better simply because he would have played limited minutes for 2-3 years and then maybe played a more important role in his last two years. He doesn't have room on this team, regardless of his "talent" (which i think is overrated in comparison to the conference).

Edit: Also, you should read more into Weber being high on one of his big recruits. Cuz that NEVER happens in d1 basketball. Ask all those kids at IU who were kicked off the team for the incoming freshman.

Who was kicked off the team exactly? The only one you could even remotely make an arguement for is Bawa Muniru, and even thats debateable because he didn't play at all. Enlighten me.

QUOTE (He_Gawn @ Mar 8, 2011 -> 10:55 AM)
Who was kicked off the team exactly? The only one you could even remotely make an arguement for is Bawa Muniru, and even thats debateable because he didn't play at all. Enlighten me.

This was the event I was thinking about. I felt his entire transition was pretty shady.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=3385998

So Crean kicked all those guys off to make room for Verdell Jones and Tom Pritchard? Ummm no. They all left on their own account, or they failed off the team. That team had serious drug issues and had 19 F's between those players that left, so they wouldn't have been eligible to play that next year anyways.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Mar 8, 2011 -> 01:01 PM)
This was the event I was thinking about. I felt his entire transition was pretty shady.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=3385998

Like He Gawn said, I really have no idea what you are referring to. There wasn't even a whisper at the time these events transpired that Crean was doing this to "bring in his own guys." Correct me if I'm wrong, weren't Roth and Pritchard (and Elston for the 09 class) Sampson recruits anyway? The only one you could remotely make an argument for was Nick Williams because he committed to IU after being committed to Marquette, but he transferred after one season anyway.

So there are rumors that Sam Maniscalco is going to transfer to Illinois from Bradley next year to finish out his college career. He has one year of eligibility left (medical redshirt for this year) and IIRC he can be immediately eligible if Illinois has a grad program that Bradley doesn't that Mansicalco enrolls in. I think this would actually be a really big get for next year because it would take a ton of pressure of Abrams and give Illinois another ball handler and shooter. When he was healthy he was a very good player for Bradley his sophomore and junior years.

• 2 weeks later...

As predicted consensus top 40 player Jeremy Hollowell (4 star on rivals, 5 star on scout) picks Indiana.

Crean had 12 visitors at the IU/UM football game back in November. He tried to sell them on being a family, playing together, and bringing Indiana basketball back to where it once was... Right now, 11 of those kids have committed, and we are waiting on one more in Gary Harris. Unreal.

QUOTE (He_Gawn @ Mar 24, 2011 -> 02:41 PM)
As predicted consensus top 40 player Jeremy Hollowell (4 star on rivals, 5 star on scout) picks Indiana.

Crean had 12 visitors at the IU/UM football game back in November. He tried to sell them on being a family, playing together, and bringing Indiana basketball back to where it once was... Right now, 11 of those kids have committed, and we are waiting on one more in Gary Harris. Unreal.

Good group of talent assembling down there, Purdue has to be extremely nervous about their future.

QUOTE (He_Gawn @ Mar 24, 2011 -> 02:41 PM)

Is he class of 2012 or 13?

2012.. He'll be there, he's assembling something amazing... Actually if I were the rest of the bigten, I'd hope to god he's there because if hes not.... I don't think you'd wanna see what Brad Stevens could do with 4 and 5 star players...

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Mar 24, 2011 -> 03:26 PM)
I believe its 2012, and will Crean still be there by the time these guys develop?

Crean isn't going anywhere now that his guys are getting there. Unless he flops with the next few years, he is there for a long time.

QUOTE (He_Gawn @ Mar 24, 2011 -> 08:24 PM)
2012.. He'll be there, he's assembling something amazing... Actually if I were the rest of the bigten, I'd hope to god he's there because if hes not.... I don't think you'd wanna see what Brad Stevens could do with 4 and 5 star players...

Exactly my point. IU fans clearly will expect conference titles and tournament runs. How quickly will names like the one you just dropped come into the picture.

QUOTE (He_Gawn @ Mar 25, 2011 -> 07:11 AM)
Not until after 2012, but after seeing the dribble drive destroy bigten teams in the tournament, I know Crean can succeed with adequate talent. He hasn't had much at IU.

And just from what I have seen at IU fans so far, after Sampson, they are willing to give Crean the time to do it right. I really haven't see the kind of complaining that accompanied Mike Davis.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Mar 25, 2011 -> 07:20 AM)
And just from what I have seen at IU fans so far, after Sampson, they are willing to give Crean the time to do it right. I really haven't see the kind of complaining that accompanied Mike Davis.

I think if they're a bottom dweller next year you might start seeing some boo birds come out. My Indiana friends were pretty upset that they weren't very competitive this year and didn't make much of a jump.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Mar 25, 2011 -> 08:47 AM)
I think if they're a bottom dweller next year you might start seeing some boo birds come out. My Indiana friends were pretty upset that they weren't very competitive this year and didn't make much of a jump.

Especially since alot of the conference is rebuilding next year, they shoudl be able to make a large improvement.

He will definitely get another 2 years to prove his worth. Next year they must be a middle pack team for him to not face any heat whatsoever. This year was a letdown, but looking back, we projected GMM and Maurice Creek to play major minutes. If Creek comes back strong, he will be one of the top players in the conference. Hulls, Creek, Jones, Watford, and Zeller is a pretty good start. Sheehey and Oladipo will provide some great athleticism coming off the bench until the highly touted guys arrive.