Official Recruiting Thread II

It is a different mentality now then it used to be. After Knight, everyone wanted to win now. Then after Sampson came through and pretty well tried to ruin the IU name, it seems to me like people are willing to let Crean take the time to do it right. You really aren't going to turn around a program from top to bottom in a year, two years, or even three. It takes a full generation of basketball time to totally rebuild a program. Remember Indiana had like three scholarship players left after Hurricane Sampson left Bloomington. Unless you are paying under the table, you aren't going to convince an entire roster of star players to go to a program that was decimated. It takes a while to start to rebuild kids faith in that being a destination. That process is slowly happening.

• Replies 4.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Actually IU had no returning scholarship players. They brought back 2 walk ons. Thats never happened before in NCAA basketball history, and it happens to one of the bluebloods. Looking back, its kind of a miracle to see what Crean is doing. If I was Painter, I'd bolt for Mizzou. Purdues best run ever = IU locking down the state more than it ever has? What a slap in the face.

QUOTE (He_Gawn @ Mar 26, 2011 -> 12:37 AM)
Actually IU had no returning scholarship players. They brought back 2 walk ons. Thats never happened before in NCAA basketball history, and it happens to one of the bluebloods. Looking back, its kind of a miracle to see what Crean is doing. If I was Painter, I'd bolt for Mizzou. Purdues best run ever = IU locking down the state more than it ever has? What a slap in the face.

Purdue is going to be in serious trouble if Painter doesnt start competing for some players. You already have IU locking up most of your state's top talent, and you have OSU, MSU, ILL, Wisconsin, and Mich looking to be better than you next season.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Mar 26, 2011 -> 02:00 PM)
Purdue is going to be in serious trouble if Painter doesnt start competing for some players. You already have IU locking up most of your state's top talent, and you have OSU, MSU, ILL, Wisconsin, and Mich looking to be better than you next season.

Purdue has a decent class coming in 2013 and they think it's their next JJ, Robbie, Moore class. They didn't really learn their lesson, as they can't keep trying to put all their eggs in one basket and hope one recruiting class can carry them. All they got with the 2007 class was 2 S16's. Regardless, the chance that class even ends up half as good as the "big 3" is extremely slim as 2013 is a down year in Indiana and IU already locked up the states best prospect. Painter has started to try and recruit ohio and Illinois of late and pulled some players, but not anywhere close to the "elite" caliber he needs to compete for the big prize in April. People praise Painter for being a great coach, and I think he is pretty good, but the jury will be out this year when he is without JJ and Moore. He pulled in that class with the help of Cuonzo Martin who is now gone and mostly due to the fact that IU was a s***show under Sampson.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Mar 30, 2011 -> 05:13 PM)
Ryan Boatright & Chasson Randle tied for first place in Mr. Basketball voting

3rd - Wayne Blackshear

4th - Anthony Davis

5th - David Sobolweski

None of the four Illini recruits in the top 5.

The funny thing about this is that I have a vote and was going to cast it for Boatright but never sent it in. Oops

QUOTE (Brian @ Mar 30, 2011 -> 06:42 PM)
The funny thing about this is that I have a vote and was going to cast it for Boatright but never sent it in. Oops

Since you watch alot of these guys, whats your take on them and any other player that should have been up for it.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Mar 30, 2011 -> 06:48 PM)
Since you watch alot of these guys, whats your take on them and any other player that should have been up for it.

I didn't get to see a lot of them like I usually do. But what I have seen...

Blackshear is obviously very good. Been the most celebrated high school prep player since Rose. I fear he will be hurt a lot. His bite hasn't been larger than his bite the past few years though.

Sobolewski is one of the best 3 point shooter I have ever seen in high school. Such a quick release. I hear things about his attitude but I don't know him to know anything about that.

Kaminsky, good thing he is 7 feet tall because he is pretty soft. Nice touch but a typical Wisconsin white boy recruit.

I have no clue how Randle got so many Mr. Basketball votes. I was not impressed with him. I hear he is a good kid so I don't want to rip him but I just don't get it.

Same with George Marshall, he would play well in spurts but was inconsistent when I saw him. That Brooks squad just had good chemistry and success and he got most of the recognition. I liked Mike Powell better on that team.

Boatright is the best player in the state this year, easily. 3's, mid range, around the hoop, ball handling, the kid is deadly. If he played in the city, media would be drooling over him all year.

Jabari Parker could of been Mr. Basketball but the voters like voting for seniors.

• 9 months later...
QUOTE (He_Gawn @ Mar 25, 2011 -> 11:37 PM)

Actually, I know of one other time it happened.

• 2 weeks later...

Can't believe no one has posted in here... Happy NSD everyone!

Unfortunately, Tennessee lost out on 2 top LBs late in the last 2 days, but we did sign the #1 JUCO WR.

Edited by dasox24

Weber has been out a few times to watch Jalen Brunson, Frosh PG at Douchebag High...I mean Stevenson. He is a very smooth PG already. Great touch and handles. Gonna dominate by the time he is a senior. He will be tons better than what Tracy Abrams has been predicted to be.

• 3 weeks later...

BTW I wanted to pass on my tour of the DAC updates. I got to see Matt Holba last week finally. Kid is an athletic 6'6". He had a breakaway dunk where he got clobbered by the defender and still managed to throw it down after the run out. Also one to keep an eye on is Chris Palombizio, who is the son of a Mr Basketball from the 80's. He has a great shot, he is just a bit sloppy. Both are playing varsity for Chesterton as true freshmen. Holba needs to put on some size, but he has a nice post game to go with some great athleticism.

Also want to throw out on Lake Central Soph Tyler Wideman, that he reminds me a lot of a Zach Randolph of the same age. He has an NBA body already, and the downside is he seems to have Randolphs attitude. He pouts, he takes plays off, and he dominates when he has the ball. He can't be played 1 on 1. He is 6'8" and probably in the 250/260 area and just brutalizes HS kids in the post. He got deep post position anytime he wanted, and has pretty nice hops for his size.

Not much action in this thread so not sure if it is read or ignored anymore....

Michigan is off to a hot start for 2013 football recruiting. Eleven months from signing day they have 13 verball commitments, 11 of which are in the top 199 of Rivals Top 250. Only Texas A & M has gotten off to as hot of a start. Brady Hoke's staff is doing a great job of identifying kids from Michigan, Ohio and Illinois, getting them on campus early (often multiple times) and building enough excitement to make them want to commit. The future continues to look bright.

Number one basketball center in the nation from the class of 2011 is visiting Iowa State this weekend. Get him Fred!

Late last night I traded text messages with Brian Beard, the AAU coach and mentor of Norvel Pelle, a 6-foot-9 forward (2012) out of Stoneridge Prep in California.

According to Beard, Pelle, a former St. John's commitment and Rivals.com top 25 prospect, will officially visit Iowa State this weekend. Beard told me that Pelle would arrive in Ames on Friday afternoon and leave Sunday afternoon.

Pelle was ruled academically ineligible at St. John's before this season. Pelle would be eligible to play next year for whichever school he chooses to attend.

Beard said that Pelle is still considering offers from San Diego State, UNLV, UTEP, LSU and UConn along with Iowa State. Assistant coach Matt Abdelmassih appears to be leading up this recruitment for the Cyclones.

• 8 months later...

Picking up this thread for this season... I got to see Hyron Edwards the other night from East Chicago Central. Edwards is already getting looks from places like IU and MSU, amongst others in D1. Edwards is currently a sophomore PG who started as a true freshman at a 4A high school (biggest division in IN) who already has two guys playing in the NBA in E'Twan Moore and JuJuan Johnson. Edwards has a ton of first step quickness, handles the ball really well. and plays electric defense. He isn't a big guy (6'1"), but he has a very nice vertical and explosive footwork. Also for a sophomore he has a refined shot from 3 point range. The biggest weakness in his game was that he tended to get out of control at points of the game where he tried to take over. I can really see why he is getting looks from D1.