Albert Belle interested in owning White Sox

QUOTE(DrunkBomber @ Jul 13, 2007 -> 08:57 PM)
That would sure be interesting. Im fairly confident neither Reinsdorf or Selig would let this happen. I also severely doubt he would even have 10% of the cost.

I'm sure Albert's got bank as long as he hasn't spent it all on lawyers with all his stalking and what not. His wife is on fire. She's almost as good looking as my wife. I don't know if he'll ever own a team, but he is not a stupid guy. He's done a few stupid things, as have all of us.

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Jul 13, 2007 -> 09:08 PM)
I'm sure Albert's got bank as long as he hasn't spent it all on lawyers with all his stalking and what not. His wife is on fire. She's almost as good looking as my wife. I don't know if he'll ever own a team, but he is not a stupid guy. He's done a few stupid things, as have all of us.

Im sure he still has plenty of money, but were talking about severe amount of money that very few people actually have.

I believe that statement was said as a joke. He said he wished he would have stayed here longer, and then said he's been "trying to get jerry to sell him the white sox."

I don't really think it was true.

However, all Albert did for the Sox was produce, can't say I didn't like him!

30/116

49/152

f***ing monster... too bad we had zero pitching for that club. He had a 9-year tear in there that was as good as anyone... damn knees.

I'll never forget the ad campaign the White Sox ran with him breaknig a bat and it said something like 100% amber or whatever type of wood they stated. They have stupendous marketing.

Edited by Steve9347

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Jul 13, 2007 -> 09:08 PM)

His wife is good looking. Saw her today. On the news, of course. So I guess what I'm trying to say is, Lemme see your wife. Pics plz. :P

I'd love a new, different owner. We'll have Reinsdorf for awhile, though.

QUOTE(Steve9347 @ Jul 13, 2007 -> 09:31 PM)
I believe that statement was said as a joke. He said he wished he would have stayed here longer, and then said he's been "trying to get jerry to sell him the white sox."

30/116

49/152

f***ing monster... too bad we had zero pitching for that club. He had a 9-year tear in there that was as good as anyone... damn knees.

I'll never forget the ad campaign the White Sox ran with him breaknig a bat and it said something like 100% amber or whatever type of wood they stated. They have stupendous marketing.

I had a Belle jersey when he was with the Sox. Saw him a few times in person. He was a helluva player.

QUOTE(BearSox @ Jul 13, 2007 -> 09:40 PM)
I loved Belle. I was a big fan of his. He did play 163 games for us in one year! Seriously, how many players can say they played in 163 games in one season?

More than you'd think. Happens all the time when players are traded mid-season.

QUOTE(SoxFan1 @ Jul 13, 2007 -> 09:43 PM)
I had a Belle jersey when he was with the Sox. Saw him a few times in person. He was a helluva player.

yeah, but Belle spent that whole season with the White Sox...

QUOTE(BearSox @ Jul 13, 2007 -> 09:40 PM)
how many players can say they played in 163 games in one season?

28 including Greg Walker and Billy Williams did it 3 times (he also had a 164 GP season.)

QUOTE(SoxFan1 @ Jul 13, 2007 -> 09:43 PM)

Actually you're wrong.

A player has played in 163+ games in a single season with more than one team a grand total of 3 times in the history of the game. Todd Zeile ('96), Willie Montanez ('76) and Frank Taveras ('79) but he actually played in 164 games.

QUOTE(greg775 @ Jul 13, 2007 -> 09:59 PM)
With all the Cuban to Cubs talk, I was thinking today about what will happen when Jerry dies.

Who will buy the Sox?

I think Cuban's a better fit with the Sox than the Flubs.

ill buy them.

and theyll rock.

unless im not as rich as i hope to be by then. :crying

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Jul 13, 2007 -> 09:54 PM)
28 including Greg Walker and Billy Williams did it 3 times (he also had a 164 GP season.)

Actually you're wrong.

A player has played in 163+ games in a single season with more than one team a grand total of 3 times in the history of the game. Todd Zeile ('96), Willie Montanez ('76) and Frank Taveras ('79) but he actually played in 164 games.

:o

So how does a player manage to play 163, with the same team, in a 162 game season, unless 1 game playoffs for the wild card count towards the regular season.

Edited by SoxFan1

Belle is highly intelligent to say the least. National Honors Society member, president of the local FBLA, graduated 6th in his high school class, and was offered an athletic contract to go play at Notre Dame. He's no slouch. I also seem to recall he graduated with a degree in economics.

If he was smart with his money - and I imagine he was - he's probably friggin loooooooaded.

Albert Belle had a .823 OPS for us in 1997. Didn't he cause some problems that year at the ASG?

Check out these splits in 1998:

1st Half: .278/.354/.517 18 HR, 66 RBI's in 87 games

2nd Half: .387/.451/.816 31 HR, 86 RBI's in 76 games during total garabge time.

That "Keep Buehrle, trade Kenny Williams" sign by the little girl is wild.

As much as KW flusters me sometimes, he gets a free pass for a while because of the World title.

KW seems like the type of guy who'd calmly walk down and chat with that girl and her dad during

the game. I wonder what they'd do if he did that.

QUOTE(greg775 @ Jul 13, 2007 -> 11:54 PM)
That "Keep Buehrle, trade Kenny Williams" sign by the little girl is wild.

As much as KW flusters me sometimes, he gets a free pass for a while because of the World title.

KW seems like the type of guy who'd calmly walk down and chat with that girl and her dad during

the game. I wonder what they'd do if he did that.

you foolish human.

QUOTE(Steve9347 @ Jul 13, 2007 -> 09:31 PM)

30/116

49/152

IIRC it was a degenerative hip. Which is what Konerko supposedly has as well

QUOTE(SoxFan1 @ Jul 14, 2007 -> 12:39 AM)
:o

So how does a player manage to play 163, with the same team, in a 162 game season, unless 1 game playoffs for the wild card count towards the regular season.

Tie Game. Game is rained out after 5 or more innings while tied, UNLESS the game is rained out during an inning in which the visiting team has tied the score. Then it becomes a suspended game.

The stats of the game count and go into the record books. The game is then played IN FULL over again.

FWIW, Baseball changed the rules prior to the 2007 season, and there are no more tie games. Instead, they will become suspended games that are picked up at the point they are stopped.

QUOTE(kageman129 @ Jul 14, 2007 -> 07:43 AM)
Screw having him own the club. Get rid of Walker's ass and hire Belle as hitting coach.

Right, because Joey's a real people person who would do a fantastic job of mentoring and encouraging our young hitters.

QUOTE(kageman129 @ Jul 14, 2007 -> 09:43 AM)
Screw having him own the club. Get rid of Walker's ass and hire Belle as hitting coach. Well, anybody except Walker, please.

Interesting. My vote still goes to Pudge Fisk...and groom him to replace Ozzie down the road.

QUOTE(kageman129 @ Jul 14, 2007 -> 09:43 AM)
Screw having him own the club. Get rid of Walker's ass and hire Belle as hitting coach. Well, anybody except Walker, please.

I don't remember seeing many hitting coaches in wheelchairs... might have a hard time getting around those batting cages. :bang