Official Squared Circle Thread

• Replies 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah terrible news for my favorite wrestler, they're really going to miss him.

My guess is with Hardy likely to go, they may actually re-think turning CM Punk heel, and have him feud with Jericho for a while.

Or they could keep CM Punk heel and have him feud with the Undertake at SS.

Or they could push Kane again.

QUOTE (Brian @ Jul 3, 2009 -> 02:32 PM)
I loved the early 90's. It was lower budgeted to WWF at the time but the product was just as good IMO.

I was never into the NWO stuff. I would watch to see what happened, but after about 6 months it was old to me.

When EVERYONE became NWO Wolfpac or just NWO, it was just dumb. At the beginning, when it was just a few guys it was pretty fun. But it just got to the point that NWO would walk out in the middle of any match, and one guy in that match would just turn NWO mid match, the entire group of NWO would jump in the ring and stomp the other guy.

When it was truly over, when Russo came aboard, the shows were just horrendous. I cannot emphasize how much I hated Jeff Jarrett and his balsa wood guitar

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Jul 5, 2009 -> 02:14 PM)
When EVERYONE became NWO Wolfpac or just NWO, it was just dumb. At the beginning, when it was just a few guys it was pretty fun. But it just got to the point that NWO would walk out in the middle of any match, and one guy in that match would just turn NWO mid match, the entire group of NWO would jump in the ring and stomp the other guy.

When it was truly over, when Russo came aboard, the shows were just horrendous. I cannot emphasize how much I hated Jeff Jarrett and his balsa wood guitar

Haha yes, nWo was awesome when it started

However, when it seemed like it was everyone it was crap

QUOTE (T R U @ Jul 5, 2009 -> 03:20 PM)
Haha yes, nWo was awesome when it started

However, when it seemed like it was everyone it was crap

It officially jumped the shark when Wolfpac started and Sting joined. Thats when you know the show booking was officially not in the hands of the writers anymore. I saw some of those Scott Hall interviews where he was talking about how Bischoff would ask them to do something and they would look at him and say "no, we are going to do it this way" even if it completely ruined the ongoing storyline.

Thats what happens when you let the inmates run the asylum though

One of my favorites to watch back in old WCW was Rey Mysterio vs Billy Kidman. Those two used to put on a show, a non-stop spotfest with little to no errors between them, and they sold everything very strong. Before the both of them bulked up and lost all of their mobility and spring in their steps

Edited by KyYlE23

QUOTE (dbaho @ Jul 5, 2009 -> 06:40 AM)
Yeah terrible news for my favorite wrestler, they're really going to miss him.

My guess is with Hardy likely to go, they may actually re-think turning CM Punk heel, and have him feud with Jericho for a while.

Or they could keep CM Punk heel and have him feud with the Undertake at SS.

Or they could push Kane again.

Well, the team of Edge & Jericho is no more. At least we got to see it for a bit.

QUOTE (MHizzle85 @ Jul 6, 2009 -> 03:05 PM)
Well, the team of Edge & Jericho is no more. At least we got to see it for a bit.

I actually think they should align the Hart Foundation with Jericho now.

They're not getting over as a heel as it is, and having someone like Y2J there would give them more of a focal point.

QUOTE (dbaho @ Jul 6, 2009 -> 08:27 AM)
I actually think they should align the Hart Foundation with Jericho now.

They're not getting over as a heel as it is, and having someone like Y2J there would give them more of a focal point.

I don't know, I think it would come across as another Legacy-type of stable if a non-Hart was leading them.

I think the new Foundation is failing because they're just not that good. When Natalya is your best worker you're in trouble.

QUOTE (The Critic @ Jul 6, 2009 -> 08:33 AM)
I don't know, I think it would come across as another Legacy-type of stable if a non-Hart was leading them.

I think the new Foundation is failing because they're just not that good. When Natalya is your best worker you're in trouble.

They shoulda kept Tedy Hart around even if he was a f*** up.. I have zero interest in this Hart Dynasty crap even though when you hear the idea you wonder how it wouldn't be awesome..

QUOTE (The Critic @ Jul 7, 2009 -> 12:33 AM)

I agree on them not being good, which is why I think they need to add something otherwise they'll be gone in a couple of months.

Maybe they can hav Jericho or Christian come out and say they were connected to the Hart Family somehow.

Going forward, it'll be interesting to see what they do with Y2J though.

QUOTE (nitetrain8601 @ Jul 7, 2009 -> 01:11 PM)
My favorite WCW faction besides the original NWO is The Flock led by Raven. He at one point became my favorite wrestler along with Billy Kidman and the 7 year itch.

wasnt the Flock pulling the same stuff that DX was, almost show for show?

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Jul 7, 2009 -> 01:22 PM)

Eh, I didn't really pay attention like that. It's possible. I always remember the Flock being about misfits and weirdos. They were pretty awesome.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Jul 7, 2009 -> 12:22 PM)

Not really.

The nWo and/or Wolfpac were the ones kind of jousting with DX and Vince on-air.

The fighting in the Flock was usually internal - Raven demeaning the members of the Flock, turning members against each other, and members occasionally trying to assert themselves or leave the group.

It was a pretty interesting stable/angle, but I think Raven was a little unreliable in those days - he may have been "living the gimmick" or whatever, but he seemed pretty disgruntled and sometimes disinterested.

QUOTE (T R U @ Jul 7, 2009 -> 04:21 PM)
They need to start using factions more

Those were the good days, now it seems there is never a good strong one anymore

...but....but....what about the Main Event Mafia????

I agree, they should go back to stables. For me, they help in two ways:

1. Stables can utilize guys who either aren't good enough on the mic, or who haven't developed a strong enough character to get over on their own.

and

2. Stables often used to be led by a manager or advisor, who was almost always an entertaining character who was good at talking. Heenan, Cornette, Dangerously/Heyman....none of them were able to establish themselves as an in-ring performer (although Heenan was under-rated, but too small), yet those are three of the most memorable characters of their time.

QUOTE (The Critic @ Jul 7, 2009 -> 04:50 PM)

1. Stables can utilize guys who either aren't good enough on the mic, or who haven't developed a strong enough character to get over on their own.

and

2. Stables often used to be led by a manager or advisor, who was almost always an entertaining character who was good at talking. Heenan, Cornette, Dangerously/Heyman....none of them were able to establish themselves as an in-ring performer (although Heenan was under-rated, but too small), yet those are three of the most memorable characters of their time.

They are also a good way of boosting young talent into superstardom

ex: The Rock and HHH

The way things are going pretty soon there will be no more gimmicks, no more managers, no more valets, no more true stables..

Pretty much everyone new now is just a regular name, they don't go the creative route anymore it seems with characters.

QUOTE (The Critic @ Jul 7, 2009 -> 05:50 PM)

and

after watching last night, i think Million Dollar Man is the perfect manager for Legacy.

I too would like to see factions back in wrestling but with the WWE being all bout "entertainment" I doubt we see anything like that. ROH seems to do a pretty good job with creating stables & managers...Vinny Mac could always rip the blueprint off.