Official Soxtalk.com: Rumor Mill!

MurcieOne

You'd win more ballgames with 9 Rowand's than with 9 Caballo's is basically what I was saying...I wasn't trying to imply that you'd win it all with 9 Rowand's. That, in my mind atleast, makes me think that maybe Rowand is a better ballplayer than Lee....and he makes less(looking at it from JR's point of view). So we'd probably be better off with Rowand in LF and Borchard in CF, or Borchard in LF and Rowand in CF...either would work.

• Replies 337
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think Rowand's main problem is at the plate. Not so good of a batting eye. Some dont like his defense and say he gets a bad jump on everything. I dont agree. I do see him making up for bad jumps at times, but that can be taught. Speed and athletic ability cannot and he already has that so i'll take the defensive low side. I get concerned about his presence at the plate mostly.

I don't think you would win with 9 rowands, but you need guys like rowand to win, just look at the Angels.

Just not in the starting lineup.

Rowand's a fine 4th OF, and I would have no problems with it if the Sox kept him on in that reserve. He can play all three spots, has solid (not amazing) defense, and can use the bat. However, anyone who thinks that guy is a starting centerfielder on a championship team is fooling themselves.

I think that Rowand is a fine 4th outfielder.

I also do believe that he could be the starting CF on a championship team. It would depend on the rest of the line up, of course, he is not going to carry the team, but he can contribute well to a well functioning team.

And I just suspect that maybe perhaps this year the Sox will function well.

Yes, I am delusional. :unsure: But still optimistic. :blink:

I think Rowand's main problem is at the plate. Not so good of a batting eye.  Some dont like his defense and say he gets a bad jump on everything. I dont agree. I do see him making up for bad jumps at times, but that can be taught. Speed and athletic ability cannot and he already has that so i'll take the defensive low side.  I get concerned about his presence at the plate mostly.

Mike I wanna murder you. :blink:

bastard.

:angry:

I like Rowand a lot. Still, I don't know if he can be an everyday player. I like what he does defensively, and I really like how he moves runners over, can bunt, etc. The thing is, he's still got to work on his eye, and if he can do that, and continue to cut back on the strikeouts, I Think he'll become a solid player.

Guest hotsoxchick1

i also like rowand alot.. the only thing that scares me about him is the possibilities of injurys ..... if he slamms just right into that cf wall once it will be "parties over" for him.....

I think Rowand's main problem is at the plate. Not so good of a batting eye.  Some dont like his defense and say he gets a bad jump on everything. I dont agree. I do see him making up for bad jumps at times, but that can be taught. Speed and athletic ability cannot and he already has that so i'll take the defensive low side.  I get concerned about his presence at the plate mostly.

Mike I wanna murder you. :blink:

bastard.

:angry:

For what? Being Correct? :lol:

I think he needs a full season where he starts before anyone can judge him.  give him this season, about 140 games and 500 AB and then we can see what we got.  I think he brings a lot of energy and brains to the team.

I like Rowand, I like watching him play and I appreciate the energy and drive he brings out on the field every time. But I don't think he's that good. I think he'll put up Singleton-like numbers, with more power, but less defensive ability. If he gets 140 games at 500 ABs next season, I think he'll hit .245/15/60 with an OPS of about .725 or .750. I suppose I can live with that but only if the other hitters in the line-up live up to expectations. But I still would rather have Steve Finley, or a trade for Vernon Wells.

I agree that Rowand brings more than just numbers.

I also think his numbers, especially the BA, will be better than what was suggested, and that home run total is about 5-10 lower than I think it will be. The rbis will take care of themselves.

It isn't about numbers though. 

If a guy produces and contributes to wins, it doesn't make a difference what he does.  He's a team player and a guy that brings a lot of intangibles.

Yes and no. I mean, I wouldn't want guys putting up Rowand type numbers at 1B, 3B and RF. But like I said, assuming that the other guys in the order (maggs, pk, big hurt, crede, valentin, clee) live up to expectations, Rowand will be good enough in CF, particularly in light of the fact that he does, I believe, bring a lot of energy and intensity to the table that rubs off on others.

Somebody that has a lot of time ought to go through all the AL outfields and list the batting averages of

the three starting outfielders.

Don't you think most if not all outfields have guys in the .260 to .280 range, just like Rowand?

I mean if he hits .270 and drives in 75 runs, isn't that acceptable to us?

I think he needs a full season where he starts before anyone can judge him.  give him this season, about 140 games and 500 AB and then we can see what we got.  I think he brings a lot of energy and brains to the team.

I like Rowand, I like watching him play and I appreciate the energy and drive he brings out on the field every time. But I don't think he's that good. I think he'll put up Singleton-like numbers, with more power, but less defensive ability. If he gets 140 games at 500 ABs next season, I think he'll hit .245/15/60 with an OPS of about .725 or .750. I suppose I can live with that but only if the other hitters in the line-up live up to expectations. But I still would rather have Steve Finley, or a trade for Vernon Wells.

I'd like to see us pick up Jose Cruz Jr. or Orlando Palmerio.

To me Cruz Jr. would provide really good pop from the left hand side in the bcak of the order or he could hit in the 2 slot, providing speed, which would slide Manos and his mainly left handed stick to the back of the lineup.

On a sidenote, I think Palmerio is a perfect 2 hitter.

It isn't about numbers though.  

If a guy produces and contributes to wins, it doesn't make a difference what he does.  He's a team player and a guy that brings a lot of intangibles.

Yes and no. I mean, I wouldn't want guys putting up Rowand type numbers at 1B, 3B and RF. But like I said, assuming that the other guys in the order (maggs, pk, big hurt, crede, valentin, clee) live up to expectations, Rowand will be good enough in CF, particularly in light of the fact that he does, I believe, bring a lot of energy and intensity to the table that rubs off on others.

Plus, he's very willing to move runners over and to me thats why I liked him so much late last season when he was hitting in the 2 hole.

Jimenez was getting on and he'd always get over to 2nd thanks to Aaron, and when we got a guy on 2nd with our middle of the lineup, we'll score almost all of the time.

Jimenez was getting on and he'd always get over to 2nd thanks to Aaron, and when we got a guy on 2nd with our middle of the lineup, we'll score almost all of the time.

That is the offensive theory I want to use, especially in the early innings, get the lead. This offensive strategy should pay great dividends for us. And it will help the pitchers if they are working with a lead.