Gavin Floyd?

BearSox

Gavin Floyd is a human bobblehead with deplorable neck fuzz. The ball just jumps off of the bats of opposing major league hitters. I don't know what he can do to change that at this point. His fastball is mince meat and while his curve is pretty at times, he can't spot it like he has to.

When the Sox were getting their asses handed to them in that doubleheader at home against Minnesota, I couldn't help but laugh at the fan reaction to Gavin in the Cell. Everything he threw up there drew an "ooooooh" or an"aaahhhhh" from the crowd because he was making these guys all look like Pujols. I don't just think Gavin is incapable of pitching in the Cell; I think he's incapable of pitching in the Major Leagues. He is the prototypical AAAA player because there is no way in frosty hell he could even survive in the bullpen. He makes Suckvich look like Mariano Rivera. I still the Freddy trade though because Gio should at least be a nice setup man.

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Yossarian @ Aug 1, 2007 -> 08:43 AM)
Please tell me that you've changed your mind about that.

I'm with you. I think there is about a 95% chance that Egbert, Gio, McCulloch, and Broadway out-pitch him in ST, about an 85% chance Phillips and De Los Santos out-pitch him in ST, and about a 60% chance Sisco, Massett, and a knuckle-less Charlie Haeger out-pitch him in ST. I say that because I saw everyone above except McCulloch, Egbert, and DLS pitch in ST and they all out-performed "Mental Pudding" Gavin Floyd.

Gavin Floyd is one of the worst pitchers I've ever seen that has better than average 'stuff'. It's one thing just to have a crappy arm with an 85 mph fastball, no movement, and poor support pitches, but it's another to be such a horrid pitcher with a good curve and a better than average fastball. Floyd and Jose are two players I'd like to see in other uniforms next year.

Cripes...he'll flash some great stuff yet he has such a difficult time repeating his delivery that he makes so many mistakes that get hit 400+ feet.

I still want him up...we need to see if he can figure it out this year and if he doesn't, I write him off completely.

Scott Ruffcorn had at least as good of minor league career as Gavin Floyd. He got 5 starts in a White Sox uniform and 31 total innings. There's not one person who would say he didn't get a fair opportunity or would say anything other than he sucked. Floyd has had his chances and he's been awful. Almost every out last night was a rocket. If he was pitching in any other park in baseball he would have given up another bomb. Why does he deserve a shot at the rotation? If he were a minor league free agent and had the exact same numbers and same stuff and was the same age, he would be DFA'd by now. Send him back to Charlotte, and see him in the spring. If he doesn't improve so what. He's out of options next year, so what. I doubt any team would give him a spot on their major league roster. This "we have to see what he can do" is crap. The Phillies saw what he can do. We have seen what he can do. Nothing good.

QUOTE(klaus kinski @ Aug 1, 2007 -> 09:15 AM)
Nice acquisition, wasnt it, Williams?

actually yes, because although gavin has been terrible, him and Gio have pitched more innings this year than Freddy, and he was a rental player. So really, it was a GREAT deal for KW and for the Sox.

I agree with Chisoxfn. It looks like Floyd has some good stuff, but the kid has been getting ripped all over the yard since he's been called up. At this point we're not playing for much more than a draft pick, so I say we let Floyd make a couple of starts in place of what hopefully is an ailing Contreras to see if he can figure some things out. The worst case scenario is that he continues to get shelled and we move that much closer to a top ten draft pick.

Floyd's stuff sucks. The only pitch which is close to being above average is his curve. His fastball is average with little movement. I put this in the game thread last night, but he almost throws a hanging fastball. He has no chance to get lefties out right now with the tilt of his pitches.

Edited by fathom

QUOTE(fathom @ Aug 1, 2007 -> 01:34 PM)
Floyd's stuff sucks. The only pitch which is close to being above average is his curve. His fastball is average with little movement. I put this in the game thread last night, but he almost throws a hanging fastball. He has no chance to get lefties out right now with the tilt of his pitches.

OK, let me rephrase that. It looks like Floyd CAN have good stuff. A guy who has an ERA over 10.00 obviously hasn't located his pitches to lefties, righties, you name it. At this point in the season, there is no harm in having him pitch the rest of the way.

Gavin Floyd gives up 5 runs every time he pitchers and never gets past the 5th inning. He needs to go back to AAA and let some other hot pitching prospect a chance at failure. Haeger can go down also and both stay the rest of the season. We already know they can't get people out consistently if ever.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Aug 1, 2007 -> 01:30 PM)
actually yes, because although gavin has been terrible, him and Gio have pitched more innings this year than Freddy, and he was a rental player. So really, it was a GREAT deal for KW and for the Sox.

Getting nothing would have been a great deal. I mentioned yesterday if KW could have gotten the same package for Conteras and kept Freddy, even if Freddy didn't throw 1 pitch in 2007 he would have been better off. They still would have Gio and not be on the hook for Contreras or Garcia after this year.

QUOTE(Tony82087 @ Aug 1, 2007 -> 01:30 PM)
It would be crap if we were 5 games out. The Sox are 10 games below .500 in the toughest divison in baseball. You say you want to see him in the spring. This is Spring training. You take the rest of the season to give extended looks to players that could play a role next season. Right now, it looks like Floyd is playing himself out of a job. But there is only one way to find out, and thats with playing time.

He has 125 innings of big league experience. You probably would be hard pressed to find anyone with that much "experience" with a 7.32 career ERA. If you aren't convinced he sucks yet, you probably never will be.

Come on people. Floyd's had his chances and more. He's awful. He has no stuff, it's almost cruel to send him out there anymore. You know Danks hasn't been all that great this year, but if you want to extend some chances, then he's the guy. Danks doesn't back down when things get rough. I say work with young pitchers like Danks, who have some moxie. Floyd melts like a campfire marshmellow. I've seen enough of him. He's a bust. Most prospects don't pan out, and baseball is a very hard game. I wish Gavin Floyd all the success in the world in the game of life.

QUOTE(Gregory Pratt @ Aug 1, 2007 -> 02:04 PM)
He was only talking about the Acquisition. Not the Removal.

And Gio was a great aquisition for a couple of starts from Freddy. Gavin hasnt panned out yet, but who knows if he will be Jason Grilli 2 out of the pen some day.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Aug 1, 2007 -> 02:10 PM)
And Gio was a great aquisition for a couple of starts from Freddy. Gavin hasnt panned out yet, but who knows if he will be Jason Grilli 2 out of the pen some day.

I was just clarifying. I like Gio, though I have doubts that only he can answer in time.

QUOTE(Gregory Pratt @ Aug 1, 2007 -> 02:04 PM)
He was only talking about the Acquisition. Not the Removal.

if you get a couple of pitchers with any sort of potential, hell a couple of young pitchers with minor league contracts, for a guy who was declining, making a decent salary, going to walk, and wound up injured, it is a great acquisition.

To the poster who said that the Sox should have traded Count for the same package...

What the hell?

Freddy was clearly in decline, maybe injured, and on his walk year.

Count was one of the Sox best starters and most would have said that at worst count was going go tbe an above average pitcher this year.

The deal for Garcia will always be a good one because of the fact we didnt have to pay his salary and it atleast gave us 2 pitchers, and if 1 of them becomes even decent its a fleecing.

QUOTE(Soxbadger @ Aug 1, 2007 -> 02:19 PM)
To the poster who said that the Sox should have traded Count for the same package...

What the hell?

Count was one of the Sox best starters and most would have said that at worst count was going go tbe an above average pitcher this year.

The deal for Garcia will always be a good one because of the fact we didnt have to pay his salary and it atleast gave us 2 pitchers, and if 1 of them becomes even decent its a fleecing.

badger, don't try to figure these idiots out. apparently they are all better GMs than Kenny and all saw the decline of Contreras coming and all said this before the season started (they didn't).

QUOTE(Soxbadger @ Aug 1, 2007 -> 02:19 PM)

What the hell?

If you re read what I wrote, you will see that I never wrote he should have traded Contreras. If you do a search, I was one of the very few who liked this trade when it was made, because I thought Garcia would be awful. I just wrote that KW would have been better off trading Contreras for the same package and keeping Garcia even with Freddy's injury. He wouldn't have to worry about trying to dump a large contract right now.

Okay I can understand that in retrospect dumping Count when we could have would have been nice, but at that time the Sox felt that they were going to be contenders for the AL Central, and that Count was going to be a big part of that equation.

If Count would have been on the market, they could ahve gotten a much better package than what they got for Garcia.

This was just a bad year all around, perhaps penance for 2005.

Edited by Soxbadger