Gavin Floyd?

BearSox

QUOTE(Yossarian @ Aug 1, 2007 -> 02:04 PM)
Come on people. Floyd's had his chances and more. He's awful. He has no stuff, it's almost cruel to send him out there anymore. You know Danks hasn't been all that great this year, but if you want to extend some chances, then he's the guy. Danks doesn't back down when things get rough. I say work with young pitchers like Danks, who have some moxie. Floyd melts like a campfire marshmellow. I've seen enough of him. He's a bust. Most prospects don't pan out, and baseball is a very hard game. I wish Gavin Floyd all the success in the world in the game of life.

Floyd aims his pitches. And he's bad.

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Aug 1, 2007 -> 08:12 PM)
Nope. Kenny Williams has been trying all year to get Floyd into the rotation.
I don't understand. You won't change your mind because an obstinate, arrogant GM won't admit he was wrong about a stiff he picked up in a trade? I hope Gavin Floyd makes me look bad. Up to now he makes Jaime Navarro look like a Cy Young pitcher. In the meantime, any other pitcher with Floyd's track record would have been dumped a long time ago. What a train wreck of a season this has become.

QUOTE(Yossarian @ Aug 2, 2007 -> 08:38 AM)
I don't understand. You won't change your mind because an obstinate, arrogant GM won't admit he was wrong about a stiff he picked up in a trade? I hope Gavin Floyd makes me look bad. Up to now he makes Jaime Navarro look like a Cy Young pitcher. In the meantime, any other pitcher with Floyd's track record would have been dumped a long time ago. What a train wreck of a season this has become.

My mind doesn't matter. I am not the general manager of the Chicago White Sox. Kenny Williams mind is made up, and that is all that matters.

QUOTE(Yossarian @ Aug 1, 2007 -> 02:04 PM)
Come on people. Floyd's had his chances and more. He's awful. He has no stuff, it's almost cruel to send him out there anymore. You know Danks hasn't been all that great this year, but if you want to extend some chances, then he's the guy. Danks doesn't back down when things get rough. I say work with young pitchers like Danks, who have some moxie. Floyd melts like a campfire marshmellow. I've seen enough of him. He's a bust. Most prospects don't pan out, and baseball is a very hard game. I wish Gavin Floyd all the success in the world in the game of life.

Some here think Floyd needs a fair chance to prove himself. It's too bad he's so mentally weak. Just pitch and he'll be fine. But that won't happen.

Bob

Again, he needs to be in the rotation for more than one start. There is no way for a pitcher to get settled when you just spot start or are plugged in for mop-up duty. Give him 4-5 starts on normal rest, then determine if he has the skills/make-up to be a legitimate starter.

QUOTE(Yossarian @ Aug 2, 2007 -> 08:38 AM)

Whether you were in favor of the trade Kenny made to acquire Floyd or not, I don't know, but I am assuming that's where you believe the arrogance came in. Because if you believe it's arrogant to still throw the kid out there after a rough 14 innings with this ballclub, I absolutely think it would be arrogant not to throw him out there more. This ridiculous notion that Floyd should not be given more chances this season has picked up steam and started rolling downhill on this website, just as some of the other nonsense that gains popularity around here, such as Javy being a bum, or Brandon McCarthy being the second coming of Jesus. THERE IS NO BETTER OPTION. We acquired him because we thought there was still a possibility he could pitch in this league. Let's give him a real chance now while the games don't mean a thing.

I would agree, there's no better option right now. As rockraines said they have to find out for sure if this guy has it or not. Certainly I would agree with those who have posted Floyd hasn't shown much and has disappointed.

The Sox are giving this guy a legit shot and he needs to start progressing. I actually like this 6 man rotation idea, not sure if Buehrle and Vazquez and Garland will like it, but it gives Danks a breather which to me is huge.

They need to figure things out with Contreras too, I have felt all along he needs a physical and mental breather and since he's signed for two more years the Sox have to do everything they can to rebuild his value, either for the team or as trade bait this winter. The other thing is, if the Sox plan on competing in 2008, why not save a little wear and tear on the proven guy's arms - Buehrle, Vazquez, Garland.

QUOTE(Shamrock4Life @ Aug 5, 2007 -> 12:23 PM)
so if we do this 6 man rotation and all the starters have less innings pitched, do we finally make up for the world series run of '05. i mean if more innings = sucks then less innings should = good, if not great.

There is no 6-man rotation. Gavin Floyd has taken over for Contreras, and Jose is now in the bullpen.

Outside of Contreras, I think the rotation looks every bit as good as it did in '05. Garland has struggled lately, but Buehrle and Vazquez seem to be throwing the ball better now than in any point in their careers.

QUOTE(gosox41 @ Aug 3, 2007 -> 08:45 PM)
Some here think Floyd needs a fair chance to prove himself. It's too bad he's so mentally weak. Just pitch and he'll be fine. But that won't happen.

Bob

Sit Contreras down....let Floyd pitch and see what he can do and if things don't go well you call up Egbert and give him a shot.

Either way Contreras is not the future and Floyd could be the future. We are seeing today what he can do when he has a bit more faith in his nasty curve. Plus he's just pitching more confidently and aside from a couple squibbers could have an even better game going thus far today (although there is still plenty of baseball left).

Regardless you see the talent that he possesses. Let him get comfortable up here or at least give him that shot. That is all I ask.

QUOTE(BaseballNick @ Aug 5, 2007 -> 01:32 PM)
There is no 6-man rotation. Gavin Floyd has taken over for Contreras, and Jose is now in the bullpen.

Outside of Contreras, I think the rotation looks every bit as good as it did in '05. Garland has struggled lately, but Buehrle and Vazquez seem to be throwing the ball better now than in any point in their careers.

I think this six man rotation has everything to do with the Sox thinking they can maybe deal Jose in August if he can put 2-3 solid starts together. Otherwise, there would be no downside to putting him on the DL for a few weeks and bringing him back possibly in September.

Initially, I liked Floyd and thought that a change of scenery would do him wonders. After his first two starts at the major league level with the Sox, I was starting to be convinced otherwise. After the Yankees relief appearance, I was thinking that I looked like an idiot for ever thinking that this guy could do anything in the majors. I am glad to see Gavin do well today. I guess he just needed a little support from the front office/coaching staff. I think that Ozzie is going to treat him in a starting role like he did Garland. Gavin may suprise people.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Aug 5, 2007 -> 01:32 PM)
Too early for me to start saying "I told you so" in the Floyd bashing threads yet...but there's 1.
You can say it to me first. Nice outing for Floyd. Hope he can finally find his groove. I want the Sox to win more than I want to be right.

You can say it to me first. Nice outing for Floyd. Hope he can finally find his groove. I want the Sox to win more than I want to be right.

Classy of you to post this. Floyd showed a big glimpse of his talent this afternoon, let's hope he continues to progress as you stated.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Aug 5, 2007 -> 02:32 PM)
Too early for me to start saying "I told you so" in the Floyd bashing threads yet...but there's 1.

You can at least say that we saw that he does have potential, which some people were saying that he doesn't.

QUOTE(29andPoplar @ Aug 5, 2007 -> 03:14 PM)
Classy of you to post this. Floyd showed a big glimpse of his talent this afternoon, let's hope he continues to progress as you stated.

Pitched inside, used his change a bit more often and showed the poise to pitch over some bad calls/defense. I think all of those things show just how much more confident he was today. He needs to string several good starts together in a row now, but he was terrific today. Like I said in the game thread, hopefully this will be the confident boost needed to go along with the talent that he does have.

Edited by Rowand44

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Aug 5, 2007 -> 01:20 PM)
Pitched inside, used his change a bit more often and showed the poise to pitch over some bad calls/defense. I think all of those things show just how much more confident he was today. He needs to string several good starts together in a row now, but he was terrific today. Like I said in the game thread, hopefully this will be the confident boost needed to go along with the talent that he does have.

In AAA this year, he got over a little blister issue in May, and then had a good start like this and then just took off.