sox can still trade jose

beleiveinbrian44

Chicago White Sox: The asking price proved too high for outfielder Jermaine Dye, leaving the White Sox empty-handed. Though they still could move Jose Contreras, who likely will pass through waivers, Chicago had a chance to reap good value from either Jon Garland (for Edgar Renteria) or Javier Vazquez and chose not to.

i think they should trade jose while there are still some teams who believe he could help them in their playoff run. think kw will do something productive after doing nothing to improve the team at the deadline?

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(bkmoney @ Jul 31, 2007 -> 04:55 PM)
thing is the people that usually pass through waivers are the people NO ONE wants.

and NO ONE wants him because of his huge contract (relative to his performance)

and we NEVER (ever?) give money to other teams.

The idea would be that someone claims him (which they won't), the Sox either let him go or pull him back and work out a trade.

Unless Jose puts together 2 VERY strong outings, I can't see him going anywhere until the off-season...and then he'll be gone.

QUOTE(AWhiteSoxinNJ @ Jul 31, 2007 -> 03:31 PM)
I now think there is a good chance that Dye gets re-signed.

Yep, but I'd rather they let him go and take the picks, rather than give a 34-year-old a three-year deal.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Jul 31, 2007 -> 07:52 PM)
The only way we deal Contreras is if we take on another bad contract in exchange, or we trade him for nothing and pick up a hunck of his contract.

I'd rather see them pick up another bad deal as long as it isn't a pitcher.

QUOTE(AirScott @ Jul 31, 2007 -> 08:33 PM)
And it wouldn't surprise me at all if the Sox were to place Jose on waivers, just to see if anybody bites. In fact, they'd better. I forget the rules, but I believe there is a window afterwards to work out a trade if he passes through.

Just about every player on every team gets put through some sort of waivers. Revocable or Irrevocable...and I'm not sure either...I think you are right about the window.

QUOTE(beleiveinbrian44 @ Jul 31, 2007 -> 04:52 PM)
i think they should trade jose while there are still some teams who believe he could help them in their playoff run. think kw will do something productive after doing nothing to improve the team at the deadline?

0 of the 30 Major League Baseball teams have confidence that Jose Contreras can get anyone out.