Which area is KW's biggest concern?

GreatScott82

QUOTE(BearSox @ Aug 6, 2007 -> 10:07 PM)
Chin-Lung Hu for short stop in 08.

It seems highly unlikely the sox will go with 2 rookies up the middle. If Richar is a keeper at 2b [which he should be, he seems perfect for breaking into the sox hitting 9th with his solid defense], SS has to go to a vet. Even if it's for one year.

Yet one young guy I'd like the sox to target is SS Jonathan Herrera from the Rockies [ http://www.thebaseballcube.com/players/H/J...n-Herrera.shtml ].

He's supposed to be their best defensive SS prospect [and #7 this yr according to BA] and hit over .300 in high A last yr and is hitting OK [.260/.330] in AA. With Troy T at SS for the Rockies, he could be expendable for some pitching. While it wouldn't be for 2008, the sox could at least get a young guy with some talent.

Edited by beck72

All three--SS, Cf and the bullpen-- are priorities. But each will have to be addressed in different ways. there are no bullpen guys like Justin Speier [a set up man who can go 2 innings each time out] last year who the sox could target. A bullpen guy will likely have to be traded for like Wheeler from TB.

CF the sox can get via free agency with Rowand. I don't know if Dye will take less money and less years that some other team will offer him.

SS I'd take a flyer on Jack Wilson. There's a reason why the Tigers wanted to pick him up. At worst, he'd be a good #8 hitter who could handle the bat and play above avg, solid defense. At best, he could hit #2. Otherwise, the Sox might be stuck w/ Uribe.

QUOTE(beck72 @ Aug 7, 2007 -> 08:37 AM)
SS I'd take a flyer on Jack Wilson. There's a reason why the Tigers wanted to pick him up. At worst, he'd be a good #8 hitter who could handle the bat and play above avg, solid defense. At best, he could hit #2. Otherwise, the Sox might be stuck w/ Uribe.

Defensively, Wilson may be a little bit better than Uribe.

Offensively, Wilson may be a little bit worse than Uribe.

And Wilson has both a longer contract and one more expensive.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Aug 7, 2007 -> 10:52 AM)

Jack Wilson is possibly the most inconsistent defender in the game. He spends about 35%-40% of the season being pretty mediocre in the field, another 35%-40% playing above average defense and the other 20%-30% being pretty average. He's possibly the worst player in the game when you take into account his fickle defense, terrible offense and the fact that he's guaranteed $14.3M over the next 2 years.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Aug 7, 2007 -> 03:58 PM)
Jack Wilson is possibly the most inconsistent defender in the game. He spends about 35%-40% of the season being pretty mediocre in the field, another 35%-40% and the other 20%-30% being pretty average. He's possibly the worst player in the game when you take into account his fickle defense, terrible offense and the fact that he's guaranteed $14.3M over the next 2 years.

You must get all the Pirate games then. By all accounts, he's one on the best defensive NL SS's, and scouts said that he was on par with Cesar Izturis defensively. That doesn't seem like a drop off from Uribe.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Aug 7, 2007 -> 03:52 PM)

Wilson's numbers are better for avg and OBP. And has hit from the #2 hole, which shows he can handle the bat better than Uribe.

If the sox add a decent prospect, they can get the Pirates to add salary. With the sox options at SS limited in both leagues, and their need for an above avg defender, they might need to do a deal like this.

By no means should the sox shouldn't overpay for Wilson. Uribe isn't a horrible option if they can improve elsewhere. But IMO, Wilson would be an upgrade over Uribe.

QUOTE(beck72 @ Aug 7, 2007 -> 11:03 AM)
You must get all the Pirate games then. By all accounts, he's one on the best defensive NL SS's, and scouts said that he was on par with Cesar Izturis defensively. That doesn't seem like a drop off from Uribe.

Go read any Pirates board or blog I guarantee you'll read the same thing from the people who watch him everyday. And Cesar Izturis is no longer an upper echelon defender, his arm has turned to mush post 2005 surgery and he's prone to insanely stupid mistakes like a couple of the games this and last year when he committed 2-3 errors in a matter of a few innings.

QUOTE(beck72 @ Aug 7, 2007 -> 11:10 AM)
Wilson's numbers are better for avg and OBP. And has hit from the #2 hole, which shows he can handle the bat better than Uribe.

If the sox add a decent prospect, they can get the Pirates to add salary. With the sox options at SS limited in both leagues, and their need for an above avg defender, they might need to do a deal like this.

By no means should the sox shouldn't overpay for Wilson. Uribe isn't a horrible option if they can improve elsewhere. But IMO, Wilson would be an upgrade over Uribe.

I'll take John McDonald at $750K-$1M over Jack Wilson at $8-$14M and a decent prospect.

MI- Who plays SS and 2b

OF- We need 3 positions..

RP- Other than Jenks..and...

There are way to many holes to fill this year. I listed them in the order I felt we needed. I am not sold on Richar and Uribe as our DP combo. But, seeing as how we need to rebuild I feel this is the best chance we have.

The bullpen is the key. Rip Uribe all you want. The only 2 SS in the AL with more RBI than him since the beginning of 2004 are Tejada and Jeter, and Uribe is solid defensively. I'm as frustrated as anyone by his lack of OBP, but its proven that the Sox can win with him at SS. Its also been proven that the Sox won when they had a great bullpen. The bullpen has to be strong, except if they play the Angels in the ALCS.

[/quote

Uribe=very good defensively except when he plays lackadaisical, which he does from time to time

Uribe= good power, but a very undisciplined hitter

Uribe is still better than many, but if we could get Tejada I would take him in a second.

QUOTE(elrockinMT @ Aug 7, 2007 -> 11:38 AM)
The bullpen is the key. Rip Uribe all you want. The only 2 SS in the AL with more RBI than him since the beginning of 2004 are Tejada and Jeter, and Uribe is solid defensively. I'm as frustrated as anyone by his lack of OBP, but its proven that the Sox can win with him at SS. Its also been proven that the Sox won when they had a great bullpen. The bullpen has to be strong, except if they play the Angels in the ALCS.

Uribe=very good defensively except when he plays lackadaisical, which he does from time to time

Uribe= good power, but a very undisciplined hitter

Uribe is still better than many, but if we could get Tejada I would take him in a second.

I could stand one more year of Uribe, despite his poor plate discipline. Pencil him in at the bottom of the lineup and let him do his thing on the field.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Aug 6, 2007 -> 10:15 PM)
I could 4 candidates to actually be an OF next year, 2 of which I acutally think are pretty good (Fields and Owens). Anderson and Sweeney are at least 2 other candidates, they're just not very good options right now. Dye would fill that in.

I hope you're right, especially about Owens. I love his speed. If he could just take a walk now and then.

Bob

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Aug 6, 2007 -> 05:25 PM)
The bullpen is the key. Rip Uribe all you want. The only 2 SS in the AL with more RBI than him since the beginning of 2004 are Tejada and Jeter

Did the Texas Rangers move to the NL from 2004 to present? If not, Michael Young has almost 100 more RBI than Uribe in that time period. Oh, and even though Carlos Guillen missed like half a season in 2005, he still has more RBI than Uribe since the start of 2004.

QUOTE(3E8 @ Aug 7, 2007 -> 11:49 PM)
Did the Texas Rangers move to the NL from 2004 to present? If not, Michael Young has almost 100 more RBI than Uribe in that time period. Oh, and even though Carlos Guillen missed like half a season in 2005, he still has more RBI than Uribe since the start of 2004.
AL Short Stops since 2004 sorted by RBI

I want Uribe gone. Typically, players peform best when facing a contract. This dude has hacked his way to a .214 batting average this year. He doesn't steal bases, can't bunt, can't make consistent contact. He'll hit you a few homers here and there and play better than average defense (range isn't that great, but he has the arm), but there are numerous players I'd rather have over him...including yes...Jack Wilson.

Just as I have favorite players...Mark Buehrle, Paul Konerko, and Aaron Rowand :lolhitting .. so too do I have those players I do not like, like Uribe. Let's make a deal to bring in a player that is ready to assume the SS role in Chicago.