Is this the worst year in your Soxfandom?

Hideaway Lights

Is this the worst year in your Soxfandom?  

78 members have voted

1. 1. Is this the worst year in your Soxfandom?

• Yes
    • No

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(JohnCangelosi @ Aug 27, 2007 -> 03:34 PM)
I will say this- this is the most disappointing team I can remember- with the 84 squad coming in at a close second.

It doesn't rank quite that high on my list. 1994 is the worst in my lifetime for obvious reasons. '84 and '95 were both worse than this year because you could see the cracks forming in this squad last August/September. And, of course, '97 was awful on multiple levels.

Edited by WCSox

QUOTE(premo @ Aug 27, 2007 -> 10:02 PM)
I started following the White Sox in the early 90's while I was in elementary school. I'd have to say that 2003 was easily the worst year for me. This year sucks, but 2003 sucked alot worse. That team should have won it all, IMO

I cried at the end of the 03 season. When we got swept by the twins in minny and the camera showed mags with his head down in the dugout, i lost it. That's the best sox team i've ever seen.

I think the reason this season really hurts me, as a fan, is the huge gap between how high the expectations were for this team and how grandly the team has failed to live up to them. This is not the worst White Sox team ever, not by a long shot. But I went into this season expecting another year of playoff contention. To be this far under .500 really stings.

QUOTE(Balance @ Aug 28, 2007 -> 01:46 PM)
I think the reason this season really hurts me, as a fan, is the huge gap between how high the expectations were for this team and how grandly the team has failed to live up to them. This is not the worst White Sox team ever, not by a long shot. But I went into this season expecting another year of playoff contention. To be this far under .500 really stings.

Did you really? Did your thoughts change once spring training started?

QUOTE(SnB @ Aug 28, 2007 -> 02:37 PM)
I cried at the end of the 03 season. When we got swept by the twins in minny and the camera showed mags with his head down in the dugout, i lost it. That's the best sox team i've ever seen.

05 was the best Sox team you've ever seen and ever will see. That 03 season absolutely killed me as well, that team was the most talented team in baseball but just like many years with that group of offensive players, everything just kind of failed down the stretch. I didn't get over 03 until 05.

QUOTE(Tony82087 @ Aug 28, 2007 -> 02:37 PM)
I could be way off, but I believe A lot of us figured playoff contention was in the cards for 2007, even after ST....

You guys were all on the sauce apparently..

QUOTE(Tony82087 @ Aug 28, 2007 -> 03:37 PM)
I could be way off, but I believe A lot of us figured playoff contention was in the cards for 2007, even after ST....

I'll admit it. I was thinking low 90's in wins prior to ST. ST scared me, but I still thought they'd be in the thick of it. The outfield scared me too. But I still held out hope for the post-season until probably June-ish.

QUOTE(Colorado Sox Fan @ Aug 28, 2007 -> 09:39 AM)
I agree. I don't subscribe to the radio broadcasts anymore and the TV team is horrible. It's bad enough that the team is awful, but those guys, especially DJ, make watching the games even worse. His inane banter is taking years off my life--running his fingers down a blackboard would be preferable. Earlier this year, it seemed that he improved and at least provided some new information. Now, it's the same drivel game after game. It's incredible that the organization allows him to broadcast their games.

The TV broadcast was much better with Stone in the booth while DJ was gone.

They've had a lot of crappy teams.

I remember 1968. Traded for Aparicio and Tommie Davis, a big RBI guy from the Dodgers.

had nearly won in 1967.

lost first 10 games in 1968 and then sucked for three straight years.

bad teams when Fregosi managed (and Hawk was GM for a bit).

But this is the worst year because this team has a huge payroll, they underachieved, they quit, the bullpen demoralized everybody and the outfield is incredibly inept.

plus, they got swept at home by the Cubs.

They got crushed in that doubleheader by the Twins with the football score in the first game.

And last weekend against the Red Sox was an absolute WHITE FLAG, No guts, no heart surrender.

Pitiful.

Has to be 1970. The horrible record (56-106). Boring Don Gutteridge as manager. So few people in the stands I seriously used to try and count people and guess the attendance. When there's less than 1,000 in the park it's pretty damn depressing. I went to a double header where the crowd was something like 693. There was plenty of wondering if the Sox were going to move. Plus, 1970 was on the heels of two previous nearly as crappy years. Ya had to wonder if things would ever improve.

QUOTE(Steff @ Aug 28, 2007 -> 03:36 PM)

Good point, Steff. Sure, we usually suck in ST but this year if I'm not mistaken was goadawful--to the point where people noticed how bad it was, right?

And where usually you say "Aw, ST doesn't mean anything" apparently this year it was a sad precursor to what would be our season.

Maybe we ought to pay more attention to ST, huh?

QUOTE(Steff @ Aug 28, 2007 -> 03:36 PM)

I really did, even in spite of ST. I don't put a lot of stock in the preseason in pretty much any sport.

And this year, alas, the team's ST performance was a true harbinger of things to come....

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Aug 27, 2007 -> 01:09 PM)
Oh, and someone needs to bring up 1994 as well.

QUOTE(CanOfCorn @ Aug 27, 2007 -> 01:23 PM)
I'm going with 1997. Granted, the Sox were probably not going to catch the Injuns that year, but the White Flag trade KILLED me...absolutely KILLED me. The entire org. gave up that year, and THAT is inexcusable.

QUOTE(The Ginger Kid @ Aug 28, 2007 -> 12:45 PM)

These three years are all worse than this year for me. Maybe in time perspective will change that, but 1994 was by far the worst not only for the strike, but for losing Robin Ventura, my all time favorite player. I didn't go to a game until 1997.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Aug 29, 2007 -> 07:48 PM)
These three years are all worse than this year for me. Maybe in time perspective will change that, but 1994 was by far the worst not only for the strike, but for losing Robin Ventura, my all time favorite player. I didn't go to a game until 1997.

Robin was with the Sox until '97.

This is clearly the most disappointing-I've been thru the awful 60's and late 70's teams. We were almost accustomed to chronic mediocrity then, always picked up name players on their downside that made it interesting, but we were going to games for a few dollars and it was an enjoyable experience. This bad team costs a lot to see, you have to wade thru countless ads at the park and hear bad canned music. I'd have to say yes its the most painful year, thank the Lord for the no hitter.