Alex Cintron...personally insuring the #1 draft pick

chiguy79

Actually what this speaks to is the situation with the Sox bench.

I am convinced they will pursue more speed for the bench and guy(s) who are very good defensively. If you attempt to build your team around pitching you'd better have stellar defense.

Cintron doesn't offer much of anything, he has little speed, is not a selective nor particularly dangerous hitter, and we are seeing his defense. Not to trash him because he has had an awful year off the field, but it is what it is.

QUOTE(29andPoplar @ Sep 10, 2007 -> 03:37 PM)

I am convinced they will pursue more speed for the bench and guy(s) who are very good defensively. If you attempt to build your team around pitching you'd better have stellar defense.

Cintron doesn't offer much of anything, he has little speed, is not a selective nor particularly dangerous hitter, and we are seeing his defense. Not to trash him because he has had an awful year off the field, but it is what it is.

You could be right about pursuing more bench strength. However, I think Cintron is just fine playing the role he was supposed to play and that's back up 2b and SS. You won't get a .300 average/30 homer man on the bench. Guys like Alex and Gonalzez and Pablo were signed to fill in as needed and not play everyday. Of course that isn't to say we don't need better or wouldn't benefit from better.

Edited by elrockinMT

QUOTE(elrockinMT @ Sep 10, 2007 -> 02:18 PM)
You could be right about pursuing more bench strength. However, I think Cintron is just fine playing the role he was supposed to play and that's back up 2b and SS. You won't get a .300 average/30 homer man on the bench. Guys like Alex and Gonalzez and Pablo were signed to fill in as needed and not play everyday. Of course that isn't to say we don't need better or wouldn't benefit from better.

Bourgeois could fill the same role, probably provide both better offense and better defense (I admit I know little about his D, but he is athletic enough to play all over the field and Cintron is awful), and for a lot cheaper.

QUOTE(29andPoplar @ Sep 10, 2007 -> 10:37 AM)

And do not forget cost effective. That's reality.