The environment thread

BigSqwert

QUOTE (Athomeboy_2000 @ Jun 16, 2010 -> 08:06 PM)
Here's the problem and where the logic of many conservatives breaks down:

Bailing out banks a banks mess to protect the economy from diving into a deep depression is bad because government should get involved.

Bailing out an oil companies mess because it is polluting water and ruining an ecosystem is a a great idea and a role of the government.

Your theory is full of s***.

Bailing out banks should have NEVER happened. Conservatives didn't want that.

This is an issue of national/federal security and national interest. You're not "bailing them out", you are providing resources (NOT necessarily money - actual resources) to get s*** done.

• Replies 5.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Jun 16, 2010 -> 08:40 PM)
Money is just another resource, dood.

To me it's simple: If you detested government involvement in fixing the bank collapses, you should detest any government involvement in helping the private sector.

QUOTE (Athomeboy_2000 @ Jun 16, 2010 -> 08:03 PM)
I have been out of town and cut off from civilization for 2 days. can someone give me a synopsis of what Obama said last night?

I'm on top of things, BP's going to pay people put out of work by this spill, Americans have to change their energy use, and screw that Kap teabagger that's always hatin'

-Obama

:lol:

QUOTE (KipWellsFan @ Jun 16, 2010 -> 09:08 PM)
I'm on top of things, BP's going to pay people put out of work by this spill, Americans have to change their energy use, and screw that Kap teabagger that's always hatin'

-Obama

Wow, he called out Kap by name? you're famous dude! ;)

(Any mention of a hard push towards renewables like wind and solar?)

Edited by Athomeboy_2000

QUOTE (Athomeboy_2000 @ Jun 16, 2010 -> 08:44 PM)
To me it's simple: If you detested government involvement in fixing the bank collapses, you should detest any government involvement in helping the private sector.

Really? Better stop all manufacturing of aerospace components, military equipment, and anything/everything that's provided for the government through the private sector.

There is a difference. Why is it so hard to figure out? Oh... because everyone wants a chance to mock racist, stupid ass, bigoted, capitalist conservatives. Got it.

QUOTE (KipWellsFan @ Jun 16, 2010 -> 09:08 PM)

-Obama

:lolhitting

That's awesome.

QUOTE (kapkomet @ Jun 16, 2010 -> 06:32 PM)
No, because he actually responded. It took your hero 50+ days to get even semi serious... and that took "negotiations" to take over BP.

Yeah, see, there is no reasonable discussion to be had with you on this topic, if this is your line of thinking. You think Obama did NOTHING for 50 days? You think Bush doesn't have the same level of responsibility that Obama does in these semi-analagous situations?

Keep up the good fight, Kap - defend those poor victim conservatives to your last posting breath!

I think we all owe BP an apology

During a hearing of the House Energy and Commerce Committee this morning, Rep. Joe Barton (R-TX) “apologize[d]” to BP CEO Tony Hayward, accusing the White House of an illegal “shakedown” of the foreign oil giant to secure a $20 billion escrow fund for Gulf Coast damages.

Joe Barton

QUOTE (GoSox05 @ Jun 17, 2010 -> 10:11 AM)
I think we all owe BP an apology

Joe Barton

I agree with him. It'd be one thing if BP hadn't already set up a claims system (and hadn't paid nearly 50% of the claims already submitted). Obama just wants to make this political - every claim that gets paid out is all thanks to Obama, not BP.

Edited by Jenksismybitch

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Jun 17, 2010 -> 10:14 AM)
I agree with him. It'd be one thing if BP hadn't already set up a claims system (and hadn't paid nearly 50% of the claims already submitted). Obama just wants to make this political - every claim that gets paid out is all thanks to Obama, not BP.

So you don't think BP should pay for this?

QUOTE (GoSox05 @ Jun 17, 2010 -> 10:24 AM)
So you don't think BP should pay for this?

Did I say that? I'm saying the Obama doesn't need to thrust himself into a situation that's already ongoing and that already has a mediation body (the courts). I'm fine with him saying "i'm going to make sure BP pays," but it's completely unnecessary to set up some third party (that he appoints) to administer the claims.

Sure it's necessary, because BP is a demonstrably unethical company. Why should we trust them to judge the fairness of the claims? Why should they still be in control?

in this thread, we have one conservative arguing that Obama is criminally negligent and another saying he's doing way too much.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Jun 17, 2010 -> 10:37 AM)
Sure it's necessary, because BP is a demonstrably unethical company. Why should we trust them to judge the fairness of the claims? Why should they still be in control?

in this thread, we have one conservative arguing that Obama is criminally negligent and another saying he's doing way too much.

ZOMG! People questioning Jesus II! Oh the humanity!

I know you think Obama is the greatest thing ever, but he doesn't (and shouldn't) be putting himself in that kind of a position. It's ridiculous. We have this thing called a court system that already plays a role in what he's proposing and has for quite some time.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Jun 17, 2010 -> 04:41 PM)
ZOMG! People questioning Jesus II! Oh the humanity!

I know you think Obama is the greatest thing ever, but he doesn't (and shouldn't) be putting himself in that kind of a position. It's ridiculous. We have this thing called a court system that already plays a role in what he's proposing and has for quite some time.

ahh, yes, we should wait for the courts to play this out, it only took the people affected by exxon mobile 20 years to get their pay. We should all make sure everyone get's f***ed over except BP. They are an amazing company because they are awesome and big and everyone is wrong except them, they should not be forced to do anything, they are competent, except to clean up the spill, the gov't should do that, the gov't should pay for it, WHY IS THE GOV'T MAKING BP PAY FOR IT..... WHY IS BP STILL CLEANING UP THEIR OWN MESS

WHY WHY WHY WHY WHY WHY

I don't particularly like Obama. It isn't about you questioning "jesus" but about the ridiculous question of "why does BP need oversight!?!"!"

The court system took 20 years to get payments for Exxon-Valdez and then drastically cut the award value. Why should the victims have to wait that long for compensation? What about environmental cleanup costs that need to be funded in the meantime? Why, exactly, is this so out of line for the executive branch of the government to get involved in the largest environmental disaster in our country?

This is another case where, no matter what happens, conservatives will cry about Obama. Kap is shouting about criminal negligence and Obama not doing anything and jenks is saying that Obama should have nothing to do with this at all.

QUOTE (bmags @ Jun 17, 2010 -> 10:48 AM)
ahh, yes, we should wait for the courts to play this out, it only took the people affected by exxon mobile 20 years to get their pay. We should all make sure everyone get's f***ed over except BP. They are an amazing company because they are awesome and big and everyone is wrong except them, they should not be forced to do anything, they are competent, except to clean up the spill, the gov't should do that, the gov't should pay for it, WHY IS THE GOV'T MAKING BP PAY FOR IT..... WHY IS BP STILL CLEANING UP THEIR OWN MESS

WHY WHY WHY WHY WHY WHY

Pssh, GMAFB. It's like talking to a wall with you people.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Jun 17, 2010 -> 10:57 AM)
Well, go ahead and defend it. You've flailed miserably so far.

I have. I've said there's an adequate body to do exactly what he wants, it's called the courts. You know, the basis of our justice system. When s*** goes down, we don't need the president to stroll in, appoint some executive body and skirt the whole system. I said I was fine with him putting pressure on BP and threaten them so that they'd pay every cent due. WTF more do you want? I got in an auto accident the other day. f*** going through the courts for my claim, i'll just call up Obama and he'll FORCE THE COMPANY TO ACT AS HE WISHES!!

Now you respond by putting words in my mouth and turning my argument into "Obama just hates people with money. BP didn't do anything wrong. s*** happens in life, they don't have to pay anything!"