Jimmy Carter, ex-president, current badass.

Rex Kickass

QUOTE(Texsox @ Oct 4, 2007 -> 12:39 PM)
I met him at Cominsky. He was in town to build a house and came to a game. His Secret Service detail was small and you couldn't guess who they were. Very cool.

Pratt, I was going to respond but instead I'll just :lolhitting

You're just the type of guy who WOULD buy that, especially if you've got John McCain in your signature. Yeesh.

Besides, we've been over this and I don't care to talk politics with you, especially since that time I said, "Carter's peace prize is a fraud meant to say, 'f*** Bush'" and you said, "NO WAI!!" and I said, "Look, even the director in charge of awarding it said so," and you said, "Oh so what? What does he know? He's only the guy who makes the decision..."

:fight :whip :huh :o

Edited by Gregory Pratt

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Rex Kicka** @ Oct 4, 2007 -> 12:45 PM)
Although I think Carter misspoke on Venezuela, I think he kept us from an unnecessary war in North Korea in 1994. As much as he pisses off conservatives about how he speaks of the Bush administration, does anyone remember what he said about Clinton? I believe he called the man a disgrace because of the Marc Rich pardon.

I think presidential administrations dislike the man because he's honest about his motives - at least post 1981, and honest about his thoughts - despite whether you agree with them or not.

We really do not like integrity and honesty.

QUOTE(Gregory Pratt @ Oct 4, 2007 -> 01:48 PM)
Yeah? He said that? I don't doubt it. He's also the guy who pardoned the men who tried to kill Truman and the men who shot up the House because they were "political prisoners."

Presidential administrations dislike him for many reasons. I dislike him for many reasons, including his adoration of every dictator under the sun.

Actually he only pardoned one man who tried to kill Truman. The other was killed at the scene IIRC.

Oh and Pratt, read your Zinn - America loves dictators. Always has, always will.

QUOTE(Rex Kicka** @ Oct 4, 2007 -> 12:51 PM)
Actually he only pardoned one man who tried to kill Truman. The other was killed at the scene IIRC.

Oh and Pratt, read your Zinn - America loves dictators. Always has, always will.

Oh, that makes it so much better, Rex.

And I just told you -- Carter's love of dictators is even worse than the average President's because he genuinely loves them. He is no longer President. No longer has to deal with them for political reasons. His success no longer hinges on them. He is free from the people, free from the economic agreements, free from the burdens of the world and yet he loves every single dictator he meets. No man in American history has gotten by with more smoke and mirrors than James Earl Carter.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Oct 5, 2007 -> 07:30 AM)
It would have been interesting to see how differently his Presidency would be viewed if he operated with this kind of moxie back then...

He had a lot of Cubbie swagger, that's for sure. "Let's invade Iran with four Mark DeRosas!"

QUOTE(kapkomet @ Oct 5, 2007 -> 11:06 AM)
GP, Alpha and numerous others have answered the question. Stop baiting. ;)

read the thread, didn't see Alpha mention any examples which showed a "lack of balls". Pratt suggested that Carter put together the plan to invade Iran, how do you respond to that? We weren't invading Iran, and Carter gave the OK to a plan the military developed. All the hostages lived. Seemed liked a nice outcome. Blaming Carter for mechanical breakdowns and perhaps a poor military plan?

I think Carter, like every President, made some mistakes, but a lack of balls? I don't see where. I do see where jumbo size balls have gotten us with this President and frankly don't think it's all that great.

It is nice to learn what they're teaching the kids today in history class. I'm realizing that many high school teachers were not born when Carter was in office. Wow, I feel very old.

QUOTE(Gregory Pratt @ Oct 5, 2007 -> 11:25 AM)
Carter invaded Iran with four helicopters.

It's funny and it's true and it's terrible all the same.

Recheck that history textbook they gave you in High School. We were not invading Iran.

QUOTE(Texsox @ Oct 5, 2007 -> 11:32 AM)
Recheck that history textbook they gave you in High School. We were not invading Iran.

I don't give a s*** what he or his defenders called it. You send your troops, your planes, your spies into someone's sovereign land against their wishes, that is an invasion.

QUOTE(Gregory Pratt @ Oct 5, 2007 -> 11:32 AM)
I don't give a s*** what he or his defenders called it. You send your troops, your planes, your spies into someone's sovereign land against their wishes, that is an invasion.

Just for the record, by that definition, the United States is probably invading somewhere between 10 and 20 countries right now.

QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ Oct 5, 2007 -> 11:34 AM)
Just for the record, by that definition, the United States is probably invading somewhere between 10 and 20 countries right now.

Sure, by that definition. And by that definition, we've been invaded. But if we're going to say, "OH, HE DIDN'T INVADE IRAN!!!" bulls*** he didn't. He sent four helicopters into Iran -- silly on its face -- and then changed his mind and he thought that was a good idea? Ha

QUOTE(Gregory Pratt @ Oct 5, 2007 -> 11:32 AM)

Rescue attempts

Rejecting Iranian demands, Carter approved an ill-fated secret rescue mission, Operation Eagle Claw. On the night of April 24, 1980, several C-130 transport airplanes met up with eight RH-53 helicopters at an airstrip in the Great Salt Desert of Eastern Iran, near Tabas. Two helicopters broke down in a sandstorm, and a third one was damaged on landing. The mission was aborted, but as the aircraft took off again one helicopter clipped a C-130 and crashed, killing eight U.S. servicemen and injuring several more. In Iran, Khomeini's prestige skyrocketed as he credited divine intervention on behalf of Islam for the mission's failure.[28]

A second rescue attempt used highly modified YMC-130H Hercules aircraft. Outfitted with rocket thrusters fore and aft to allow an extremely short landing and takeoff in a soccer stadium, three aircraft were modified under a rushed super-secret program known as Operation Credible Sport. One aircraft crashed during a demonstration at Duke Field at Eglin Air Force Base Auxiliary Field 3 on October 29, 1980, when its landing braking rockets were fired too soon. The misfire caused a hard touchdown that tore off the starboard wing and started a fire; all on board survived. The impending change in the White House following the November election led to an abandonment of this project. The two surviving airframes were returned to regular duty with the rocket packages removed. One is on display at the Museum of Aviation located next to Robins Air Force Base in Georgia.

From this you get we were invading Iran with 4 helicopters? Sure.

QUOTE(Gregory Pratt @ Oct 5, 2007 -> 11:35 AM)
Sure, by that definition. And by that definition, we've been invaded. But if we're going to say, "OH, HE DIDN'T INVADE IRAN!!!" bulls*** he didn't. He sent four helicopters into Iran -- silly on its face -- and then changed his mind and he thought that was a good idea? Ha

Would you feel better if he sent eight along with planes?

And at the time, the 1972 Munich Olympics, and watching 11 Israeli athletes getting murdered after a failed military action weighed heavily on the country. Caution, and a different approach seemed like a good idea.

Now tell us it doesn't matter how many helicopters and planes the military sent

QUOTE(Texsox @ Oct 5, 2007 -> 11:23 AM)
read the thread, didn't see Alpha mention any examples which showed a "lack of balls". Pratt suggested that Carter put together the plan to invade Iran, how do you respond to that? We weren't invading Iran, and Carter gave the OK to a plan the military developed. All the hostages lived. Seemed liked a nice outcome. Blaming Carter for mechanical breakdowns and perhaps a poor military plan?

I think Carter, like every President, made some mistakes, but a lack of balls? I don't see where. I do see where jumbo size balls have gotten us with this President and frankly don't think it's all that great.

It is nice to learn what they're teaching the kids today in history class. I'm realizing that many high school teachers were not born when Carter was in office. Wow, I feel very old.

You want to feel really old? 40% of American's don't remember a Presidency without a Bush or Clinton in the White House.