Question about pre-1994 divisional alignment

WhiteSoxfan1986

QUOTE(WhiteSoxfan1986 @ Oct 18, 2007 -> 11:43 PM)
Why were Cincinnati and Atlanta in the west while St. louis and the Cubs were in the east?

In all likelihood, it's the same concept as the NFL having Baltimore and Cincinnati in the AFC North, even though they are both further south than Indianapolis, which is in the AFC South. In other words, sports and geography don't always mix.

QUOTE(WhiteSoxfan1986 @ Oct 19, 2007 -> 12:43 AM)
Why were Cincinnati and Atlanta in the west while St. louis and the Cubs were in the east?

From what I can recall, StL and Cubs owners wanted to stay playing Pitt, Philly and the Mets.

Kind of why Dallas is in the NFC East still.

Rivalries.

• 3 weeks later...

I didn't understand until recently why the Brewers moved to the NL. It's because you need to have an even number of teams in each league (16 and 14) or else one team would have to not play each day (or would have to be playing an interleague game). Kansas City was offered the opportunity to switch to the NL and they declined, leaving it to the Brewers to move. Bad call, Royals (at least right now).

QUOTE(knightni @ Nov 5, 2007 -> 03:07 PM)
Houston was offered a chance to join the AL, but Colangelo pressured Selig to make Arizona an NL team.

didn't know that, I seem to think Selig wanted to bring his Brewers over to the National League too.

the worse division alignment was the NFC West.

San Francisco

St. Louis

New Orleans

Atlanta

Carolina

I know St. Louis used to be in Los Angeles and Carolina was a new team, but still it was a pretty strange division.