Iguchi released

Linnwood

Good-bye Iguchi: Tadahito Iguchi is also not a likely third-base option, either.

The Phillies officially released Iguchi on Thursday, as per a contract stipulation that gave him the right to demand his release if not re-signed.

Iguchi was approached about playing third base, but he told the Phillies he'd prefer to stay at second.

"He thinks he can get an everyday job playing second, and he and his agent are probably correct in that assumption," Gillick said. "His first priority is to seek out a job at second. If not, he'll think about third."

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20...7&fext=.jsp

Edited by Linnwood

I like Iguchi, but Mark Loretta should be the guy we are looking at for 2B. Perfect platoon option/situational player.

Exactly. Perfect guy for the Sox right now. Richar can learn a lot from him. He can bat 1st or 2nd. He's OBP is pretty good. He can fill in adequately defensively at SS, 3b, 2b and the OF. He could also put some pressure on Uribe for playing time and maybe force him to do some things differently. He's a real pro and has playoff experience and he could probably be had at a reasonable price.

He's a great utility guy or fallback option in case Richar or Uribe suck this year. I would like to see the Sox pull the trigger before some other team does.

QUOTE(WHITESOXRANDY @ Nov 16, 2007 -> 09:28 AM)
Exactly. Perfect guy for the Sox right now. Richar can learn a lot from him. He can bat 1st or 2nd. He's OBP is pretty good. He can fill in adequately defensively at SS, 3b, 2b and the OF. He could also put some pressure on Uribe for playing time and maybe force him to do some things differently. He's a real pro and has playoff experience and he could probably be had at a reasonable price.

He's a great utility guy or fallback option in case Richar or Uribe suck this year. I would like to see the Sox pull the trigger before some other team does.

The more I consider this idea, the more I like it.

QUOTE(dwalteroo @ Nov 16, 2007 -> 03:04 PM)
I'd take either Loretta or Gooch, but if we stick with Richar I think we're making a mistake.

I would platoon a Loretta with Richar.

However the "if we stick with Richar" we are making a mistake. What mistake. You realize to be a decent franchise you need to mix in some young cheap talent with your older expensive guys. This team is old, and we need to get some youth on this team. If we can rotate a guy in, see if he can work out then its good. If we keep on the old man track, in a few years this team is going to be the San Francisco Giants.

He can fill in adequately defensively at SS, 3b, 2b and the OF.

He can?

2B I agree with. SS, 2B, OF? I don't think Iguchi has ever played OF. Very little if any 3B, and he hasn't played SS since Japan, when they moved him over to 2B due to his arm.

I don't know, that doesn't scream utility player to me. They are probably better off with a cheap utility player (Bourgeois?) who can play IF and OF, in addition to Ozuna who may be in the plans for 2B.

In an ideal world, Loretta, because he can play a few IF positions and can hit, but I've seen no indication the White Sox are interested in him, nor vice versa.

QUOTE(29andPoplar @ Nov 16, 2007 -> 03:46 PM)
He can?

2B I agree with. SS, 2B, OF? I don't think Iguchi has ever played OF. Very little if any 3B, and he hasn't played SS since Japan, when they moved him over to 2B due to his arm.

I don't know, that doesn't scream utility player to me. They are probably better off with a cheap utility player (Bourgeois?) who can play IF and OF, in addition to Ozuna who may be in the plans for 2B.

In an ideal world, Loretta, because he can play a few IF positions and can hit, but I've seen no indication the White Sox are interested in him, nor vice versa.

He was talking about Loretta, not Iguchi.

QUOTE(southsideirish71 @ Nov 16, 2007 -> 03:15 PM)
I would platoon a Loretta with Richar.

However the "if we stick with Richar" we are making a mistake. What mistake. You realize to be a decent franchise you need to mix in some young cheap talent with your older expensive guys. This team is old, and we need to get some youth on this team. If we can rotate a guy in, see if he can work out then its good. If we keep on the old man track, in a few years this team is going to be the San Francisco Giants.

We're on the exact same page. I just don't want the Sox to stick with Richar as our only starting 2B. I agree we have to mix in the young guys; I'm excited about Jerry Owens and Danny Richar getting better because of it.

This is from the Astros website.

Iguchi's agent, Rocky Hall, confirmed to MLB.com that the Astros are one of several teams who have inquired about his client. The Brewers, Padres, Angels and Rockies have also expressed an interest in talking with Iguchi.

I guess the Brewers and Angels want him to play 3B or do they plan on moving Weeks/Kendrick out or to another slot?

QUOTE(bschmaranz @ Nov 17, 2007 -> 01:50 PM)
This is from the Astros website.

I guess the Brewers and Angels want him to play 3B or do they plan on moving Weeks/Kendrick out or to another slot?

The Angels would need a 2B if they trade Kendrick in a deal for Cabrera.