Carter Traded to AZ for Carlos Quentin

Calderon

QUOTE(Calderon @ Dec 3, 2007 -> 02:48 PM)
The Sox have reportedly traded Chris Carter to the Diamondbacks for Carlos Quentin.

Discuss.

All I can say is...wow. I'm convinced that Kenny Williams is laying the groundwork for a future job with the D-Backs. Does anybody know if he has a house in Phoenix? He better hope Carter and Cunningham don't turn out like Chris Young. I watched Chris Young play for a whole season in AA in 2005, so I knew that was a huge mistake no matter what they got for him. What's next? Egbert, Gio & Josh Fields for Tony Clark & Augie Ojeda?

QUOTE(JPN366 @ Dec 3, 2007 -> 03:05 PM)
All I can say is...wow. I'm convinced that Kenny Williams is laying the groundwork for a future job with the D-Backs. Does anybody know if he has a house in Phoenix? He better hope Carter and Cunningham don't turn out like Chris Young. I watched Chris Young play for a whole season in AA in 2005, so I knew that was a huge mistake no matter what they got for him. What's next? Egbert, Gio & Josh Fields for Tony Clark & Augie Ojeda?

One, Carter is 3+ years away, alot can happen with him. Two, Quentin is ready now and is probably going to be a superior ball player if you look beyond power numbers, because that is the only thing that Carter is better at. Three, Chris Young was a top 20 prospect, Carter not top 100. Fourth, Cunningham is not an amazing ball player, solid, but not spectacular. This was a very good trade for the Sox.

QUOTE(maggsmaggs @ Dec 3, 2007 -> 03:22 PM)
One, Carter is 3+ years away, alot can happen with him. Two, Quentin is ready now and is probably going to be a superior ball player if you look beyond power numbers, because that is the only thing that Carter is better at. Three, Chris Young was a top 20 prospect, Carter not top 100. Fourth, Cunningham is not an amazing ball player, solid, but not spectacular. This was a very good trade for the Sox.

I just feel that teams should try harder to develop homegrown players. You can take pride in that and it has worked and is working for a lot of teams. Carter may be three years away, but is there any rush on him in the first place? As a B'ham Barons season ticket holder, I'm mad that I'll never see Carter play for my hometown team. Have you seen Cunningham play in person? You'd change your mind about him if you did. His only glaring weakness is his throwing arm. I wouldn't be surprised if Arizona moves him back to second base. Williams will live to regret that trade. I've seen Richar and Cunningham play in person. Richar was unimpressive and Cunningham tore it up in a hitters park. I'm not saying Quentin is a bad player, I just think he could have been had for less. You have to admit, it is strange to see all of the White Sox best prospects traded to one organization. Plus, considering that Arizona is a good at developing players from their system, I'd be concerned about picking up the guys they didn't want. I hope Quentin and Richar pan out for Chicago, but I'd take Carter and Cunningham over them any day.