Crede close to going to Brewers

DBAHO

QUOTE(IowaSoxFan @ Dec 5, 2007 -> 09:23 AM)
I still think you hold on to Crede and Fields and move whichever of Thome or Konerko that you can and shift Fields to 1B. Then you can deal Crede in the summer after he has an opportunity to establish himself.

Absolutely agree. They should try and move Konerko to the Angels for the best position player prospect they could get. Would LAA do Kendrick/Santana/Sean Rodriguez for Konerko?

Shift Fields to 1b, play Crede at 3b, Quentin/Owens at LF/RF, Dye at LF/RF. Sign Fukudome. Deal Uribe for anything just to get rid of his salary. Play Kendrick at 2b, Cabrera at ss. Hope Rodriguez can step into ss in 09'.

To me, this is by far the best thing uou can do to try and compete asap. Probably not in 08'. But in 09', 10', possibly.

• Replies 233
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Dec 5, 2007 -> 02:58 AM)
Didn't see this anywhere else;

Prospects I'm guessing?

If we want their prospects for a gold glove 3B with a great bat then we must be rebuilding. I am not real pleased with what has transpired this off season with the Sox. We hear a lot about all these so called plans that management has and they keep changing every time we lose out on impact players. Now we stand to lose Crede for prospects (the return obviously being just a guess)?

QUOTE(iamshack @ Dec 5, 2007 -> 04:02 PM)
Absolutely agree. They should try and move Konerko to the Angels for the best position player prospect they could get. Would LAA do Kendrick/Santana/Sean Rodriguez for Konerko?

Shift Fields to 1b, play Crede at 3b, Quentin/Owens at LF/RF, Dye at LF/RF. Sign Fukudome. Deal Uribe for anything just to get rid of his salary. Play Kendrick at 2b, Cabrera at ss. Hope Rodriguez can step into ss in 09'.

To me, this is by far the best thing uou can do to try and compete asap. Probably not in 08'. But in 09', 10', possibly.

I think this move of Konerko and putting Fields at 1B make more sense then some of the stuff we have been hearing. I like PK a lot, but I think losing Crede and putting Fields at 3B is areal downgrade defensively.

QUOTE(elrockinMT @ Dec 5, 2007 -> 10:58 AM)
I think this move of Konerko and putting Fields at 1B make more sense then some of the stuff we have been hearing. I like PK a lot, but I think losing Crede and putting Fields at 3B is areal downgrade defensively.

Fields is way too good of an athlete to put at 1B.

QUOTE(elrockinMT @ Dec 5, 2007 -> 10:56 AM)
If we want their prospects for a gold glove 3B with a great bat then we must be rebuilding. I am not real pleased with what has transpired this off season with the Sox. We hear a lot about all these so called plans that management has and they keep changing every time we lose out on impact players. Now we stand to lose Crede for prospects (the return obviously being just a guess)?

it sux. other teams have just been more agressive than us. we were ever so close to getting hunter and miggy. its a whoooole different story if we had miggy,hunter,quentin, cabrera and linebrink. supposobly so close to having that but oh well i guess.

QUOTE(rockren @ Dec 5, 2007 -> 11:59 AM)
Fields is way too good of an athlete to put at 1B.

Except that Crede is far better than Fields defensively at 3B. Best move for the team, if you keep both players AND Crede shows up at ST healthy, is to have your best defensive 3B at 3B, and move Fields to 1B.

QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ Dec 5, 2007 -> 11:00 AM)
Except that Crede is far better than Fields defensively at 3B. Best move for the team, if you keep both players AND Crede shows up at ST healthy, is to have your best defensive 3B at 3B, and move Fields to 1B.

Keep one or the other....not both.

QUOTE(rockren @ Dec 5, 2007 -> 11:09 AM)
Keep one or the other....not both.

Why?

Crede very little value on the trade market. Konerko has substantial value. Fields as well, but Fields is playing for the league minimum the next two years. This way, you move Fields to first, let crede play third and build up his value, and deal Konerko for a much needed piece (Kendrick, anyone?)

As for Fields being an "athlete," he isn't athletic enough to play left field, and Joe is far superior defensively at third. I really don't care if Fields is on the field at all, as long as his bat is in the lineup.

QUOTE(iamshack @ Dec 5, 2007 -> 11:15 AM)
Why?

Crede very little value on the trade market. Konerko has substantial value. Fields as well, but Fields is playing for the league minimum the next two years. This way, you move Fields to first, let crede play third and build up his value, and deal Konerko for a much needed piece (Kendrick, anyone?)

As for Fields being an "athlete," he isn't athletic enough to play left field, and Joe is far superior defensively at third. I really don't care if Fields is on the field at all, as long as his bat is in the lineup.

I agree with everything you said. Trading Crede right now would be selling low.

QUOTE(nitetrain8601 @ Dec 5, 2007 -> 09:23 AM)
I agree with everything you said. Trading Crede right now would be selling low.

The other side of the token is...how much higher would his value be 3 months into the season when he is 2 months away from becoming a FA? He might have his value go up from performance, but his value would simultaneously go down every day because he'd get closer and closer to FA.

So let's say Crede "builds up his value" by playing 3B. How much more do you think you are going to get for a 2 month rental? Remember he's a boras client and if he does come back strong, then Boras is DEFINITELY going to want to put him on the open market. While I understand what people are saying, I don't think keeping him around is going to get the Sox any more than they would get right now. Unless everyone is intent on getting the draft picks when he leaves, which would be ok, if that's what you want.

I think his value would still be higher than it is right now. He's almost rock bottom in terms of value(coming off back surgery). Some team at the deadline would love to have his glove at 3b, and as long as he hits around .270 with 25 homers and 85Rbi's, I think you could actually get a prospect at the deadline that is worth something. Right now, an A prospect that has a chance at being a bench player for Crede is prolly all you'll get.

QUOTE(CanOfCorn @ Dec 5, 2007 -> 11:27 AM)
So let's say Crede "builds up his value" by playing 3B. How much more do you think you are going to get for a 2 month rental? Remember he's a boras client and if he does come back strong, then Boras is DEFINITELY going to want to put him on the open market. While I understand what people are saying, I don't think keeping him around is going to get the Sox any more than they would get right now. Unless everyone is intent on getting the draft picks when he leaves, which would be ok, if that's what you want.

I rather receive the draft picks.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Dec 5, 2007 -> 11:25 AM)
The other side of the token is...how much higher would his value be 3 months into the season when he is 2 months away from becoming a FA? He might have his value go up from performance, but his value would simultaneously go down every day because he'd get closer and closer to FA.

I'm honestly not concerned about Joe's value. What I am concerned about is making the team the best it can be. If you keep Joe at 3rd base this season, you have a GG-caliber defender at third, another decent bat in the lineup, and you can move Fields to first and trade Konerko for something of value. Sort out trading Joe for a replacement 3b at the deadline or address it next offseason as Joe walks.

But if you deal Joe for nothing now, you've got to keep Fields at 3rd, and any trade of Konerko has to net you a 1b replacement, which really limits what else you're going to get back. I'd rather be able to plug Fields in at first and get something the organization really needs in return, such as an mlb-ready position player with a high ceiling that can play somewhere in the middle of the field.

The Angels come to mind. Konerko for Kendrick/Mathis? Kendrick/Santana/Sean Rodriguez? Something along those lines.

Crede is gone at year's end. He's a Boras client and he's coming off of back surgery.

Fields showed great potential at the plate last season and could be our mainstay at 3rd for the next decade.

If you all want to hold onto Crede- I'm fine with that as well, but then deal Fields. We don't have the room to play them both. I hate the idea of giving Crede away, but it'll probably have to be done.

QUOTE(rockren @ Dec 5, 2007 -> 11:49 AM)
Crede is gone at year's end. He's a Boras client and he's coming off of back surgery.

Fields showed great potential at the plate last season and could be our mainstay at 3rd for the next decade.

If you all want to hold onto Crede- I'm fine with that as well, but then deal Fields. We don't have the room to play them both. I hate the idea of giving Crede away, but it'll probably have to be done.

I'm not arguing we keep Crede longterm. I'm saying we play him this year at third base, shift Fields to first permanently, and move one of the few valuable trade pieces we have (Konerko). Then address the third base position either at the deadline or next offseason, whenever it is that Crede is dealt or walks.

QUOTE(iamshack @ Dec 5, 2007 -> 11:52 AM)
I'm not arguing we keep Crede longterm. I'm saying we play him this year at third base, shift Fields to first permanently, and move one of the few valuable trade pieces we have (Konerko). Then address the third base position either at the deadline or next offseason, whenever it is that Crede is dealt or walks.

Keeping Crede would've been like keeping Garland. It isn't worth it. As much as it pains me to say Crede should be dealt, it's just too obvious of a move.

Edited by rockren

QUOTE(rockren @ Dec 5, 2007 -> 11:53 AM)
Keeping Crede would've been like keeping Garland. It isn't worth it. As much as it pains me to say Crede should be dealt, it's just too obvious of a move.

It isn't worth what? You aren't going to get anything for him now, so what are you losing?

QUOTE(iamshack @ Dec 5, 2007 -> 11:54 AM)
It isn't worth what? You aren't going to get anything for him now, so what are you losing?

We could clear around 7 million and let Fields know the job is his. We may actually get something ok considering a number of teams want Crede.

I would MUCH rather deal Fields in a package for Bedard but we all know that won't happen.

QUOTE(Hatchetman @ Dec 5, 2007 -> 09:46 AM)
do you know how elias calculates this?

No one knows how Elias calculates that stat. I don't even think Elias does. But the reality is, Joe Crede hit .216 last year and put up an OPS of .575 in nearly 200 plate appearances. For his 2 year average numbers (which is supposedly what they look at for that stat, your performance the 2 years before you hit FA) he would have to put up an OPS over .900 to drag his 2 year combined numbers up into the .750-.800 range where he might be considered type B.