Crede close to going to Brewers

DBAHO

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Dec 5, 2007 -> 03:05 PM)
My point exactly. If this team gave up Cunningham, a valuable, A ball player in the OF, which happens to be a place where we're still trying to find players I believe...to bring in Richar to fill a hole, and then turns Richar into a super-sub...then basically they've traded Cunningham for the equivalent of Mark Loretta or something like that. Which would mean, to my eyes, yes, this team would be a mess, because it'd just be making moves left and right with no plan to even try to figure out what its needs are.

Why would all of this shock you? They signed uribe for 4.5mill only to make a deal a few days later for his replacement.

• Replies 233
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Who is down on Kotchman? He would be a fantastic pickup.

Color me unimpressed with a first baseman who hits 11 home runs.

Splits!

Home: .320/.396/.519

Away: .274/.352/.422

Keep in mind, that's a "good" year for him.

Career away from the big A: .253/.323/.371 That's just pitiful Perhaps he and Ervin Santana should get a room together.

QUOTE(iamshack @ Dec 5, 2007 -> 12:10 PM)
Well, the plan was to bring in two very expensive players in Hunter and MCabrera, this necessitating the need for a league-minimum second baseman. Those two very expensive ballplayers never got here. Which means you suddenly have to do one of two things: 1) Replace the two of them with other expensive ballplayers; or 2) start getting young, talented players at key positions by trading the remaining valuable veterans you have.

My choice would obviously be 2. And if that's the case, you have to adjust your plan, rather than trying to stick with parameters of a plan that is no longer feasible.

Isn't Richar the exact definition of a young talented player at a key position? Yes, he's not Kendrick. But he's also not chopped liver either.

Hell, if the plan was to bring in MCabrera, then why the Heck didn't we hold onto Cunningham to use as a bargaining chip there? The Marlins probably weren't going to bite on a deal that didn't bring them along a solid OF prospect.

If you want to deal Konerko, that I understand more than insisting on Kendrick as the payment.

In an effort to save database space I would like to mention that there is a below zero percent chance that the angels would include kendrick in a deal for konerko. I understand we all have emotional attachment to the face of this team in paulie, but he's just not worth that much. Kotchman plus one other player would be quite a good deal, but not much more than that.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Dec 5, 2007 -> 02:12 PM)
Isn't Richar the exact definition of a young talented player at a key position? Yes, he's not Kendrick. But he's also not chopped liver either.

Hell, if the plan was to bring in MCabrera, then why the Heck didn't we hold onto Cunningham to use as a bargaining chip there? The Marlins probably weren't going to bite on a deal that didn't bring them along a solid OF prospect.

If you want to deal Konerko, that I understand more than insisting on Kendrick as the payment.

A .230 AVG with a .289 OBP and 1 steal and not exactly stellar with the glove doesn't make him a sure bet. He has shown flashes of brilliance, but a lot of guys do. He will need to improve a lot to be a contirbuting regular on a good major league team.

For comparisons sake, Brian Anderson hit .225 with a .290 OBP in 2006 and most people thing he should be stocking oranges at Jewel.

Edited by Dick Allen

In an effort to save database space I would like to mention that there is a below zero percent chance that the angels would include kendrick in a deal for konerko. I understand we all have emotional attachment to the face of this team in paulie, but he's just not worth that much. Kotchman plus one other player would be quite a good deal, but not much more than that.

Kotchman sucks. We should just trade for Travis Lee if we're worried about defense at first base so much.

Konerko is signed for $36 million over the next three years. Jose Guillen just signed a 3 year $36 million deal with the Royals making Konerko a realtive bargain.

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Dec 5, 2007 -> 08:21 PM)
A .230 AVG with a .289 OBP and 1 steal and not exactly stellar with the glove doesn't make him a sure bet. He has shown flashes of brilliance, but a lot of guys do. He will need to improve a lot to be a contirbuting regular on a good major league team.

For comparisons sake, Brian Anderson hit .225 with a .290 OBP in 2006 and most people thing he should be stocking oranges at Jewel.

Don't forget that Richar will be useless against a lot of pitchers in our division (tough lefties).

QUOTE(Vance Law @ Dec 4, 2007 -> 10:38 PM)
Yes and we've had Fields, Crede, Buehrle, McCarthy, Rowand, Gio, Jeremy Reed, Miguel Olivo (they got us Freddy), Chris Young, Carter, Cunningham, DLS, etc to help us now, and in trades in the past and in the future.

Cano, Melky, and Chamberlain aren't getting the Yankees into the playoffs on their own. Having the gabillions of dollars to buy and pay for A-Rod, Abreu, Matsui, Damon, Clemmons, Petite, Jeter. They haven't needed to trade away prospects when they can just go out and buy an All-Star team. Pay $51 million for negotiating rights etc

Ditto, spending $$s on FAs preserves the farm...that is why the Red Sox and Yankees have such good farm systems. They also can pay the top prospects in the draft after the small market clubs pass on "unsignable" players.

QUOTE(chiguy79 @ Dec 5, 2007 -> 12:38 PM)
Sox aren't going to offer Crede arbitration if they can't trade him so keeping him to see his value rise is not going to happen, that is a $5mm gamble the sox won't take.

Well, the arbitration deadline is in about 2 days, so, as Dr. Nick once said...at least we'll know.

Don't forget that Richar will be useless against a lot of pitchers in our division (tough lefties).

I really like Richar and think he'll turn out to be a really good hitter but for this year I would like to see him platooned a bit with a Loretta type against lefties. Also, just in case, does anyone know how he does at stocking oranges ?

QUOTE(Tony82087 @ Dec 5, 2007 -> 03:30 PM)
Konerko OPS in 2007=.841

Kotchman OPS in 2007=.839

Konerko in 2008=12 million

Kotchman in 2008=400K

Kotchman sucks.

and kotchman's ops is driven more by his obp, where as konerkos is driven more by his slugging, which makes kotchmans .840 ops slightly more valuable...not saying id trade konerko staright up for kotchman, but its funny to me how people write kotchman off because he doenst hit 30 HR a year

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Dec 5, 2007 -> 02:57 PM)
I don't understand why everyone is down on kotchman, at this point konerko for kotchman plus a spect and either willits or figgins is a huge win for us. Kotchman would be a positive organizational move.

people just dont understand how valuable it is to have guys that are 85-90% as productive as "superstars", while making 5% of what those superstars make

Look out, Sox might get Gooched over on this one.

from Rotoworld

"Agent Rocky Hall said he's expecting the Brewers to extend a two-year offer to Tadahito Iguchi.

Iguchi would likely take over as the Brewers' third baseman, with Ryan Braun getting shifted to left. That's not the kind of upgrade the Brewers first seemed to be shooting for when they entertained the idea of moving Braun, but it might work out OK."

QUOTE(Vance Law @ Dec 5, 2007 -> 10:17 PM)
Look out, Sox might get Gooched over on this one.

from Rotoworld

"Agent Rocky Hall said he's expecting the Brewers to extend a two-year offer to Tadahito Iguchi.

Iguchi would likely take over as the Brewers' third baseman, with Ryan Braun getting shifted to left. That's not the kind of upgrade the Brewers first seemed to be shooting for when they entertained the idea of moving Braun, but it might work out OK."

Terrible idea by the Brewers....Iguchi might need a cut-off man to reach 1b.

QUOTE(EvilJester99 @ Dec 5, 2007 -> 04:20 PM)
IIRC Gooch said he doesn't want to play 3rd and thats one of the reasons he opted for FA.

He changed his mind a day or two ago.

They were possibly going to look into getting a waiver to allow him to negotiate with the Phillies again, because the rules stated that they could not talk again until May.