Rowand offered 4 yrs/55 million from Sox

fathom

• Replies 311
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Rowand at this point would be a strong move. He would bring back casual fans for one. Also, the concerns about his defense lasting can be dealt with by moving him to a corner when Dye leaves, which he should because he's on the decline. Stl, Tex, and probably KC are interested in Rowand. Sure it doesn't fix the leadoff problem, but that is not as important as having a real CF. Especially if it keeps Pierre off this team.

QUOTE(Melissa1334 @ Dec 6, 2007 -> 10:21 AM)
i guess those are great moves than meche, guillen, silva for 10+mil a year.

They may turn out to be great moves. They already had one solid season out of Meche, so who knows? Plus, to attract FAs in KC, you have to spend crazy money. You don't hear any FAs saying they'll take less to play in KC because they have a great chance to win a World Series. I applaud them...for once. They're finally going about it the right way. You spend money...you win games...you generate excitement...you draw fans.

Okay, wait a second here. Let's sort out the facts from someone's rather b****y response when I say sign Rowand (even after initially saying sign Fukudome over A-Row.) The facts I'm looking for are simple:

Where was this information from, this 4 years/55 million dollar contract rumor? If it was from Bruuuuce Levine, then he can kiss my ass, he made that up, he's about as reliable as a drunkard telling some "hot chick" he loves her.

Second, what other teams are in persuit of him and/or are needing OF help? (So far I am hearing the Phillies and the Sox are after him.)

Also, who the hell says Fukudome is going to come here and is there any confirmed reports that he has met with the White Sox to discuss a contract? (Or were we purely speculating here again?)

QUOTE(Controlled Chaos @ Dec 6, 2007 -> 01:11 PM)
Can anyone with more statistical savy than myself, compare Rowand to Hunter over the past 5 years. I thought I saw something like this on Chicago Tribune Live...and the stats were pretty comparable??

Orbital fractures incurred while chasing fly balls:

Rowand: 2

Hunter: 0

What other statistics do you need?

QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ Dec 6, 2007 -> 12:30 PM)
Orbital fractures incurred while chasing fly balls:

Rowand: 2

Hunter: 0

What other statistics do you need?

Point.

Broken ankles while doing same:

Rowand: 0

Hunter: 1

Counter-point.

Rowand is great, for a grinder, but I can't see the Sox spending too much money on him. Or if they give him more money, not adding more years.

BTW, anyone know when Fukudome is going to decide? Has he mentioned a day?

QUOTE(CanOfCorn @ Dec 6, 2007 -> 12:35 PM)
BTW, anyone know when Fukudome is going to decide? Has he mentioned a day?

Whoa, I still didn't have my question answered. Where does it say that we were interested in Fukudome, what was the dollar amount and number of years, and who was pursuing him?

QUOTE(Controlled Chaos @ Dec 6, 2007 -> 10:11 AM)
Can anyone with more statistical savy than myself, compare Rowand to Hunter over the past 5 years. I thought I saw something like this on Chicago Tribune Live...and the stats were pretty comparable??

I went back to 2002 with that, avoiding Rowand's true rookie year. During that time, Jones had 3448 at bats, Rowand had 2541, so for a fair projection Rowand has had only 75% of the AB's that Jones has had.

Jones's Numbers followed by Rowands:

HR 89/218

RBI: 652/327

BB: 423/146

K's: 477/784

These numbers are yearly averages, not weighted by # of at bats because frankly I'm too lazy?:

Average: .258/.282

OBP: .345/.335

OPS: .851/.791

Rowand gets more hits than Jones. However, Rowand walks much less, even accounting for the fewer AB's. Jones does K more, but for the same number of AB's Rowand would come up with probably 20 fewer k's per season on average. Jones takes more walks, and in terms of OBP, Jones takes more than enough walks for his OBP to be higher than Rowand's despite the 30+ points of batting average. And slugging is no contest: Jones homers at 2x the rate of Rowand, drives in 50% more runs/year, and puts up similar numbers of doubles.

QUOTE(The Beast @ Dec 6, 2007 -> 12:37 PM)
Whoa, I still didn't have my question answered. Where does it say that we were interested in Fukudome, what was the dollar amount and number of years, and who was pursuing him?

What do any of these questions have to do with whether or not we actually will sign him?

QUOTE(The Beast @ Dec 6, 2007 -> 12:37 PM)

It was mentioned in the Trib, I think by Cowley and ESPN. No years or dollar amounts from the White Sox, but I think I heard the Padres offered 3/$30 mil.

Clubs interested: Cubs, Padres, Royals, White Sox.

It's been in the newspapers and the site mlbtraderumors.com has encapsulated all of those newspaper reports into a big thread about Fukudome. You can do a search at that site and it has all the info of all the recent media reports. The White Sox were connected, i.e. interested in Fukudome as far back as early last year. They have a well respected scout names Ray Poitevent (whose actual title is Special Asst. to the GM) and that's all he does, he scouts the Far East for the White Sox.

Dollar amounts have just been speculation so far. It appears the market price is probably $12M per year. Newspaper accounts say Fukudome wants only a 3 yr. deal, no more and no less.

There you have it. As for your Bruce Levine comment, he does not make stuff up. He reports on what he hears. When he goes out on a limb and makes assurances of what will happen, that's when he gets in trouble. But he does not make stuff up, he would be out of a job if he did. Actually he is a well respected guy within the baseball industry, with agents and players and front office types. It's many of the fans on message boards who hate him because he'll report on what he's heard and if it doesn't come true in 24 hours, people call him a liar.

So now you are up to date.

QUOTE(iamshack @ Dec 6, 2007 -> 12:39 PM)
What do any of these questions have to do with whether or not we actually will sign him?

I was trying to draw a conclusion that most of what I'm reading on this board lately is pure speculation. CanofCorn has a semi-decent bit that I could trace back to ESPN about the Sox. I also wanted to make sure that the number of years and the dollar amounts that I've read for anyone really, was not speculation.

QUOTE(29andPoplar @ Dec 6, 2007 -> 12:43 PM)
It's been in the newspapers and the site mlbtraderumors.com has encapsulated all of those newspaper reports into a big thread about Fukudome. You can do a search at that site and it has all the info of all the recent media reports. The White Sox were connected, i.e. interested in Fukudome as far back as early last year. They have a well respected scout names Ray Poitevent (whose actual title is Special Asst. to the GM) and that's all he does, he scouts the Far East for the White Sox.

Dollar amounts have just been speculation so far. It appears the market price is probably $12M per year. Newspaper accounts say Fukudome wants only a 3 yr. deal, no more and no less.

There you have it. As for your Bruce Levine comment, he does not make stuff up. He reports on what he hears. When he goes out on a limb and makes assurances of what will happen, that's when he gets in trouble. But he does not make stuff up, he would be out of a job if he did. Actually he is a well respected guy within the baseball industry, with agents and players and front office types. It's many of the fans on message boards who hate him because he'll report on what he's heard and if it doesn't come true in 24 hours, people call him a liar.

So now you are up to date.

Thank you! That is all I wanted to read, rather than the speculation I usually see. Point proven, however, that the dollar amounts are speculation.

And I'm sorry for my misunderstanding about Bruuuucee Levine. I appreciate your post out of anyones.

QUOTE(GoSox05 @ Dec 6, 2007 -> 11:31 AM)
If the Sox were to sign Rowand. That would fill all the spots. Who would lead off? Has Cabrera ever been a lead off guy before?

According to Baseball-Reference, Cabrera has 391 career plate appearances as a leadoff hitter. His numbers:

.245 .283 .394 .677

In the last 4 years, he has hit leadoff only 25 times.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Dec 6, 2007 -> 01:41 PM)
According to Baseball-Reference, Cabrera has 391 career plate appearances as a leadoff hitter. His numbers:

.245 .283 .394 .677

Well, that's it then -- the Sox will have to go with Jerry Owens in CF so they can fill that leadoff position.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Dec 6, 2007 -> 12:38 PM)
I went back to 2002 with that, avoiding Rowand's true rookie year. During that time, Jones had 3448 at bats, Rowand had 2541, so for a fair projection Rowand has had only 75% of the AB's that Jones has had.

Jones's Numbers followed by Rowands:

HR 89/218

RBI: 652/327

BB: 423/146

K's: 477/784

These numbers are yearly averages, not weighted by # of at bats because frankly I'm too lazy?:

Average: .258/.282

OBP: .345/.335

OPS: .851/.791

Rowand gets more hits than Jones. However, Rowand walks much less, even accounting for the fewer AB's. Jones does K more, but for the same number of AB's Rowand would come up with probably 20 fewer k's per season on average. Jones takes more walks, and in terms of OBP, Jones takes more than enough walks for his OBP to be higher than Rowand's despite the 30+ points of batting average. And slugging is no contest: Jones homers at 2x the rate of Rowand, drives in 50% more runs/year, and puts up similar numbers of doubles.

Actually was looking for a comparison to Hunter.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Dec 6, 2007 -> 01:41 PM)

.245 .283 .394 .677

Well that sucks, But I guess someone has to lead off.