Rowand offered 4 yrs/55 million from Sox

fathom

QUOTE(fathom @ Dec 5, 2007 -> 02:50 PM)
Thome doesn't hit into too many double plays (you have to make contact for that to happen).

The person hitting behind him would. Too many slow station to station guys equals many double plays.

• Replies 311
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

this is from will carrols chat....

BREAKING -- looks like Fukudome will decide today. Someone made a big offer. My guess? Cubs.

i really think ti could be the sox.....sox offer rowand 4 years 55...he declines...sox offer it to kosuke

fyi: he had reported earlier that both chicago teams appeared to be making the strongest offerings

Edited by daa84

QUOTE(southsideirish71 @ Dec 5, 2007 -> 09:52 AM)
Another type A free agent. So we get a first round draft pick, then we start off at the 4th round. Thats what smart teams do, they limit their draft picks to restock the talent pool in their minor leagues. The same type of talent, that teams have been using to acquire talent. Rowand on this team is nice, and by himself sure. We just signed a type A free agent setup guy. So once again, we wont be replenishing the worst minor league system in baseball this up coming year. We wont pay overslot. So we will get Jordan Danks the grindermaster in the overdraft because he is cheap.

55 million dollars for Rowand. Wait till he hits .270 and cant hit the slider again. I am glad we are just blowing our load because of perception. Just blow this thing up and start over. Rowand isnt a difference maker and we are not competing against the Tigers and Indians this year.

Unf***ingbelievable.

100% Agree with everything....love the blowing our load analagy thats exactly what this is. Just the outcome from KW decree that 2007 "didn't sit well with us". Well yea thats true but there is a different losing 90 games with a 100 Mil payroll and lots of solid proven vets and losing 90 games in florida marlins mode with all rookies and young players. I wouldn 't mind losing 90 games a year as much if I saw the future developing before my eyes. But I can do without a team of 82 wins because we spent $14 Mil on Rowand.

QUOTE(daa84 @ Dec 5, 2007 -> 03:28 PM)
this is from will carrols chat....

i really think ti could be the sox.....sox offer rowand 4 years 55...he declines...sox offer it to kosuke

fyi: he had reported earlier that both chicago teams appeared to be making the strongest offerings

He said the Sox did make a big push for him today. It would be hearbreaking if he wound up on the other side of town.

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Dec 5, 2007 -> 03:34 PM)
He said the Sox did make a big push for him today. It would be hearbreaking if he wound up on the other side of town.

Fukodome is the best option left. He wants a 3 year deal. He is a high OBP line drive type guy. And he doesnt cost you anything in the draft. So you can get talent for money only, and still work to rebuild the mess we call our minor leagues.

QUOTE(southsideirish71 @ Dec 5, 2007 -> 04:36 PM)
Fukodome is the best option left. He wants a 3 year deal. He is a high OBP line drive type guy. And he doesnt cost you anything in the draft. So you can get talent for money only, and still work to rebuild the mess we call our minor leagues.

Definitely. The Sox don't have to give up draft picks for Rowand, IIRC, since they were in the top 15 of the draft. But Fuku is the best bet since he is an OBP machine, unlike Rowand circa 2003, 2005, and 2006. If Fuku puts up .300/.400/.400, I'd be ecstatic if he plays a creditable center field. If he puts up .300/.400/.450, I'd be thrilled.

QUOTE(Tony82087 @ Dec 5, 2007 -> 09:44 PM)
I think your getting a little ahead of yourself. I think the highest projections for Fuk are around a .385 OBP.

It wouldn't bother me if the Sox don't get him. Hell, let the Cubs get him, and then not pusue Josh Hamilton, Teahan, etc.

QUOTE(fathom @ Dec 5, 2007 -> 09:35 AM)
According to Bruce Levine, this is the most recent update regarding the Sox and Rowand. Also, the Sox are still interested in DeJesus.

Man, everytime the Sox have an idea I feel more and more like they should have gone the rebuilding route.

Bob

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Dec 5, 2007 -> 11:24 AM)
Let me ask you folks this.

Everyone here seemed to throw up in despair yesterday and declare the season horribly, horribly lost.

Let's imagine this, we do a Fields and Gio for Bedard swap (just accept the principle for a second). We also sign Rowand, blowing $30 million a year on keeping those 2.

Does that make us an AL Central contender to your eyes? How much better does that make us that what we have right now, and is it worth that kind of money for those upgrades?

If people are so insistent on believing that KW fouled up and we're screwed no matter what this year because the Tigers and Indians are so good, then wasting money locking ourselves in to long term, piecemeal upgrades is not going to solve that problem.

I agree. I've been saying that since mid-2007.

I doubt the Sox get Bedard as they don't have the talent to give up.

I can totally see Rowand coming here becuase the sox are desperate and need to make a splash PR wise. Great PR move, bad basebal move.

Bob

QUOTE(Tony82087 @ Dec 5, 2007 -> 03:49 PM)
The Sox really need a OBP guy.

Sox needs>>>>Cubs missing out on other players.

Oh, and add a few hundred >>>

The best thing about signing a CF is that it would lessen the chances of the Sox trading Gio + more for Coco Crisp. So, from that perspective, I hope the sign somebody...

ozzie said on mlbtv that finding the right center fielder was going to be more about filling the "needs" for this specific ballclub...kenny said those are high obp, few Ks, longer at bats, etc....rowand isnt exactly a high obp guy (his obp is mostly drive by BA) and does K alot....so im hoping this really means we got fukudome who many people are saying is a mix between hideki and ichiro.....

QUOTE(Tony82087 @ Dec 5, 2007 -> 09:49 PM)
The Sox really need a OBP guy.

Sox needs>>>>Cubs missing out on other players.

Oh, and add a few hundred >>>

I also have never heard one source say that Fukudome will go anywhere but to the Cubs, so I'm not getting my hopes up.

QUOTE(Tony82087 @ Dec 5, 2007 -> 09:56 PM)
Have you ever heard that Fuk prefers the Cubs, or that the Cubs really want him? No one heard about the Halos and Hunter either....

Yes, I've heard from a ton of places, either in the media or from some people involved with the club, that the Cubs and Fukudome have been working on a deal for over a month now.

QUOTE(fathom @ Dec 5, 2007 -> 02:50 PM)
Thome doesn't hit into too many double plays (you have to make contact for that to happen).

While we're all certain it isn't actually going to happen (it would likely be the first time in the history of baseball that a prototypical "slugger" [i wouldn't call Soriano that, exactly] was a leadoff man), it wouldn't be that hard to determine or give a good estimate of an expected increase in solo home runs. How many of his 35 were solo last year while hitting third? What percentage of a lead off man's plate appearances are the first appearance of the game? What is the difference in expected OBP of our 8 and 9 hitter as compared to our 1 and 2? Again, I'm certain Thome isn't going to lead off, but what is a legitimate, mathematically worked estimate of the comparison between "runs lost by Thome hitting more solo homers" vs. "runs gained by having lead off hitter with .400 OBP"?

It wouldn't bother me if the Sox don't get him. Hell, let the Cubs get him, and then not pusue Josh Hamilton, Teahan, etc.

Why? Fukudome appears to be exactly what the White Sox need. You're bothered by everything else, but it wouldn't bother you if he turns down the Sox and goes to the Cubs, or any other team?

QUOTE(29andPoplar @ Dec 5, 2007 -> 09:59 PM)
Why? Fukudome appears to be exactly what the White Sox need. You're bothered by everything else, but it wouldn't bother you if he turns down the Sox and goes to the Cubs, or any other team?

I don't think he'd be a competent CF, and I really want our new CF to be a right handed hitter that can face tough lefties. Also, as DA pointed out last night, Hendry has let Fukudome's agent know they'll outbid anyone.

Edited by fathom

QUOTE(fathom @ Dec 5, 2007 -> 10:58 PM)
Yes, I've heard from a ton of places, either in the media or from some people involved with the club, that the Cubs and Fukudome have been working on a deal for over a month now.

I think that was his point, but more often you see signed deals like this rather than someone flying way under the radar. And we aren't flying under the radar either, KW has made it known we want Fuk.

QUOTE(29andPoplar @ Dec 5, 2007 -> 10:00 PM)
The Sox have been courting him too and it goes back to last summer before he got hurt.

How's this for irony after the stories we heard yesterday.....Piniella was telling Kaz Matsui during the recruiting process that he'd have another japanese player on the roster.

BTW, I promise after he decides that I'll reveal what I've been told. Until then, I will hold out hope that the Sox get him. Hearing that mlb.com interview with Ozzie does give me a little more optimism, but I'd still put Fukudome as 90 pct likely to be playing for the Cubs.

Edited by fathom

I don't think he'd be a competent CF, and I really want our new CF to be a right handed hitter that can face tough lefties. Also, as DA pointed out last night, Hendry has let Fukudome's agent know they'll outbid anyone.

I will take a high OBP guy who can get on base regardless. They need good hitters, not necessarily guys who hit from one side or the other. You've criticized Guillen for being too appendage aware, as long as the guy is a good hitter who can get on base, what's the difference?

As for what Hendry might or might not have told the agent, well, maybe that's true but there's all kinds of chatter at these meetings.

My guess is the Cubs do get him but I hope the White Sox seal the deal on this guy. Hoping against hope.