Guillen and Gibbons suspened for first 15 games.

BearSox

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Dec 9, 2007 -> 06:39 PM)
Yeah they have a lot of integrity, just ask the old injured players looking for help paying their medical bills while the McCaskey's and the rest in their fraternity count their money.

That's not a McCaskey issue it's a union issue. The NFLPA has done an adequate job in obtaining benfeits for recent players but has never adequately addressed what to do about the older players. Why because the current players really don't care about what happened to the players before there was the escalation of salaries. "They didn't pay the share that we do, so why should we pay for them."

It's tough issue because I can see both sides of it.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Dec 9, 2007 -> 03:46 PM)
Personally I have no problems trusting Forbes numbers. They exsist because they know how to decipher stuff much more involved than a baseball team.

The best indication would be how teams like the Royals are spending considerably more due to the much improved revenue sharing agreement in baseball (which allows for the lower end payroll teams to spend money if they chose to). Than again, I'm still puzzled as to how MLB is letting the Marlins get away with having such a ridiculously low salary (I would think this would prevent them from getting any piece of revenue sharing).

Link

The players' association filed a grievance Monday to overturn the 15-day suspension given to Kansas City Royals outfielder Jose Guillen for violating baseball's drug program.

Guillen and Baltimore's Jay Gibbons were suspended last Thursday by commissioner Bud Selig following media reports that they received human growth hormone after January 2005, when it was banned by baseball. Gibbons chose not to contest his penalty.

Arbitrator Shyam Das will decide whether Selig's suspension of Guillen was proper. The penalty is to be served at the start of next season.

"It's been agreed that the matter needs to be resolved prior to opening day," said Michael Weiner, the union's general counsel.

Guillen has not been charged by the government with a crime, and he is not known to have failed a drug test.

His could be the first of several grievances that will go before Das and could become a precedent for players disciplined for performance-enhancing drugs absent a positive test or a conviction for possession.