Small Market team in a Large Market

SoxFanInDallas

I am getting tired of this 'Small Market Team' mentality while being in a 'Large Market'. Our outfield has bigger gaps in it than David Letterman's front teeth. And why? Because the White Sox act as if they are Kansas City, Tampa Bay, and Florida.

Thank God I don't have the chance to listen to Chicago Sports Talk. I could not bear to have to hear the constant bad news with the White Sox not signing anyone on top of the Bears pitiful season.

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

HHHHHHHHH

QUOTE(greasywheels121 @ Dec 12, 2007 -> 03:34 PM)
That's not the problem, being we have a top 5 league salary IIRC.

Yeah? But how do you explain the approach to FA this year? Miss out on TH because outbid. Miss out on Rowand because don't want to pay that kind of money. Trade Garland to free up cash to sign TH, but still don't get him.

The payroll is because of past spending, but I guarantee you they are thinking 'We spent a lot of money in the past. We need to reign things in this year.'

Obviously the Sox have been mis-managed. How else to exlain such futility given such a high payroll? It's amazing that Kenny still has a job. But it's not really, just like in the city of chicago cronyism runs rampid within the Sox organization. they see the White Sox more as a family than a progressive business and that is the problem. Reinsdorf appears to be more of a big soft teddy bear than a shrewd business man.

QUOTE(SoxFanInDallas @ Dec 12, 2007 -> 04:37 PM)
Yeah? But how do you explain the approach to FA this year? Miss out on TH because outbid. Miss out on Rowand because don't want to pay that kind of money. Trade Garland to free up cash to sign TH, but still don't get him.

The payroll is because of past spending, but I guarantee you they are thinking 'We spent a lot of money in the past. We need to reign things in this year.'

Guarantee it, huh? And a top 5 payroll is small market, huh? Have you actually been watching the team?

I would have liked Hunter or Rowand too, but at their contracts (particularly Hunter), if they signed one of them, the team would have been saddled with an albatross of a contract that could have made future years that much worse.

QUOTE(SoxFanInDallas @ Dec 12, 2007 -> 03:37 PM)

So is it better to overpay and get stuck behind the 8-ball down the road. I think the Sox have been competitive but beaten. And honestly, that's ok.

in the long run, i'd rather not have Hunter or Rowand at that price. Both the Angels and Giants will be regretting those contracts 3 years from now and they'll still have plenty of more years left of those two. The real problem is, we have such a vacancy in CF that we can't seem to fill.

QUOTE(CanOfCorn @ Dec 12, 2007 -> 03:40 PM)
So is it better to overpay and get stuck behind the 8-ball down the road. I think the Sox have been competitive but beaten. And honestly, that's ok.

Well, when you make a comment that it sickens you the way the previous year went and are going to do something about it THIS YEAR, then yeah, maybe you need to sell your soul in years 4 and 5 to get something for the next three years.

And what was the Garland trade? It was to free up money. That is the crux of it. Now it looks like they did not need to free up that money.

It seems like KW will spend quite a bit when it comes to retaining what he has already acquired, wisely or unwisely. However, when it comes to getting new players, its like going to garage sales in the rich folks' neighborhood. We seem to specialize in reclamation projects hoping to catch lightning in a bottle at low risk given the reduced cost. Quentin is this year's poster boy. *Sigh* - oh well, at least 2005's reclamation poster boy (Jenks) became an all star for us.

SFF

Edited by SpringfieldFan