Roberts admits steroid use

RME JICO

Orioles second baseman Brian Roberts acknowledges single use of steroids in 2003 - December 18, 2007

BALTIMORE (AP) -- Breaking his silence on the inclusion of his name in the Mitchell Report, Baltimore Orioles second baseman Brian Roberts admitted that he used steroids once in 2003. In an interview in Tuesday's editions of The (Baltimore) Sun, Roberts acknowledged that he used steroids "once" in 2003. However, he said he hadn't used steroids or other performance-enhancing drugs since.

In a statement he issued to The (Baltimore) Sun, Roberts said that after the single injection he immediately realized that it was not what he "stood for" or anything he wanted to continue doing. He said he's sorry he did it and said he regrets making what he says was a "terrible decision." Roberts was named in the Mitchell Report because former Orioles teammate Larry Bigbie told investigators Roberts had told him he used steroids "once or twice" in 2003.

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news;_ylt=AjjJ...p&type=lgns

Edited by RME JICO

Man this s*** is getting so lame..

First of all, if Roberts injected steroids ONCE and then said "This is wrong" and never did it again he would get zero benefit from it. You cant just squirt one needle into yourself and turn into a stud you have to take cycles of it.

So if he really did only do it once and never again he doesnt even need to be on this list, he didnt do anything to enhance his performance via steroids.

QUOTE(Shadows @ Dec 18, 2007 -> 10:59 AM)

First of all, if Roberts injected steroids ONCE and then said "This is wrong" and never did it again he would get zero benefit from it. You cant just squirt one needle into yourself and turn into a stud you have to take cycles of it.

So if he really did only do it once and never again he doesnt even need to be on this list, he didnt do anything to enhance his performance via steroids.

Exactly. This thing is going to go on like this. We all know that the steroid era was out-of-control, yet all these guys use it just once, for two days, or just to get over an injury. My ass. No one uses steroids for one injection. Perhaps by once, Roberts meant one cycle. That's the only thing that makes sense.

QUOTE(sircaffey @ Dec 18, 2007 -> 09:12 AM)
Exactly. This thing is going to go on like this. We all know that the steroid era was out-of-control, yet all these guys use it just once, for two days, or just to get over an injury. My ass. No one uses steroids for one injection. Perhaps by once, Roberts meant one cycle. That's the only thing that makes sense.

If I was named in that report but I wanted people to still believe in me, perhaps the best possible thing I could do would be to claim I just used it once or twice, like all of them are doing now. That way, I could still claim that the numbers were my own, I could still claim to be a decent human being, and I could take advantage of the fact that people will forgive you if you admit a mistake. Even if I'd used as much as Bonds, I might still say "Yes, I just used it one time" if they didn't have the laundry list of checks on me, and I might be able to get away without a suspension or without too many boos.

Yeah, if someone says that they did something only once after being caught then it is usually much more than that. I am pretty confident that he did it a lot more than one time. I am not saying that it helped his performance in anyway, but I wouldn't say he is honest or coming clean about this. Who knows what he has used since then to help his performance in anyway possible. I guess it was more than the red contacts after all.

QUOTE(Shadows @ Dec 18, 2007 -> 09:59 AM)

With the competitive nature of the sport, it is very hard to believe anyone did anything once. Of course he is going to say that. Just like he didn't inhale. Maybe Roberts just stuck the needle in, and didn't inject the fluid.

If I was named in that report but I wanted people to still believe in me, perhaps the best possible thing I could do would be to claim I just used it once or twice, like all of them are doing now. That way, I could still claim that the numbers were my own, I could still claim to be a decent human being, and I could take advantage of the fact that people will forgive you if you admit a mistake. Even if I'd used as much as Bonds, I might still say "Yes, I just used it one time" if they didn't have the laundry list of checks on me, and I might be able to get away without a suspension or without too many boos.

But who believes them when they say this? You would have to be pretty naive. I think it is the wrong way to get people to believe in you.

QUOTE(southsideirish @ Dec 18, 2007 -> 09:20 AM)
But who believes them when they say this? You would have to be pretty naive. I think it is the wrong way to get people to believe in you.

There are still people who believe in Mr. Bonds.

Half of Americans in 2006 believed that Iraq possessed weapons of mass destruction when we invaded in 2003.

Dennis Kucinich believes he saw a UFO. And his pockets are the doors to another dimension.

If something is remotely believable, you can get half this country to buy into your story without really trying hard.

And for Brian Roberts, who's gradually approaching Free Agency or being traded to a money team...getting people to believe you aren't one of the bad guys, that you only tried it once...is probably worth tens of millions of dollars.

Edited by Balta1701

There are still people who believe in Mr. Bonds.

Half of Americans in 2006 believed that Iraq possessed weapons of mass destruction when we invaded in 2003.

Dennis Kucinich believes he saw a UFO. And his pockets are the doors to another dimension.

If something is remotely believable, you can get half this country to buy into your story without really trying hard.

And for Brian Roberts, who's gradually approaching Free Agency or being traded to a money team...getting people to believe you aren't one of the bad guys, that you only tried it once...is probably worth tens of millions of dollars.

In all cases - naive people.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Dec 18, 2007 -> 11:14 AM)

Exactly. It's smart, but when all these players are going to start saying the same thing, no ones going to believe it.

QUOTE(sircaffey @ Dec 18, 2007 -> 09:49 AM)
Exactly. It's smart, but when all these players are going to start saying the same thing, no ones going to believe it.

Enough people will. People will still want their teams to win baseball games, so enough people will turn a blind eye and accept those explanations. If the Cubs traded for Roberts tomorrow, do you think that there'd be an outcry from their fans who think he's lying?

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Dec 18, 2007 -> 11:51 AM)
Enough people will. People will still want their teams to win baseball games, so enough people will turn a blind eye and accept those explanations.

Thank you. This belongs on a "Get Barry Bonds, KW" bumper sitcker.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Dec 18, 2007 -> 11:51 AM)
Enough people will. People will still want their teams to win baseball games, so enough people will turn a blind eye and accept those explanations. If the Cubs traded for Roberts tomorrow, do you think that there'd be an outcry from their fans who think he's lying?

They will now, but when 40 of the 80 names in the Mitchell report say they used it once, for a couple days, or to get over an injury, the people still believing the players need a stiff slap upside the head.

QUOTE(Kid Gleason @ Dec 18, 2007 -> 12:43 PM)
So...do you think anybody will come out with a "yeah, I shot steroids like a f***in' smack addict"? That person will instantly become my new baseball hero.

Hahaha I was thinking the same thing today when I heard this, that'd be great. At least it'd be honest.

Edited by whitesoxfan101