Prior signs with Padres

RME JICO

QUOTE(BearSox @ Dec 26, 2007 -> 10:40 PM)
wouldn't it be nice if Prior returns to form and just dominates?

Sure, it would be a nice kick in the crotch to the Cubs. However, I hate Prior, as he's just an asshole. This deal proves to me that teams don't think he'll be able to contribute this season.

QUOTE(The Critic @ Dec 26, 2007 -> 08:33 PM)
It's a decent gamble for the Padres.

If he comes back and shows anything meriting another deal, I'd think the Padres would have the upper hand at keeping him, due to them taking a chance on him this season (plus being the "hometown team").

I dont agree at all, they paid him money to try out for other teams, he wont play enough this year to make a decent contribution and most likely wont remain with the team next season. On top of that 4 other teams took a look at his medical records and stopped pursuing him. The only good gamble would have been a minor league contract.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Dec 27, 2007 -> 09:15 AM)
I dont agree at all, they paid him money to try out for other teams, he wont play enough this year to make a decent contribution and most likely wont remain with the team next season. On top of that 4 other teams took a look at his medical records and stopped pursuing him. The only good gamble would have been a minor league contract.

I know we've heard this song before, but the last thing I read on Prior said he could be ready by June-ish. If he comes back in June and gets into decent game shape by say July, that's plenty of time to make contributions enough for the Padres to justify the move. Don't get me wrong, I'm glad the Sox didn't pursue him because he never seems to be ready when they say he should, and can't stay healthy for very long, but as gambles go, I still think it's not a bad risk for the Padres to take on a guy with an 18-6 season on his resume.