Non-roster Invitees announced

The Ginger Kid

Leifer??

I am looking forward to watching Jason Bourgeois and Chris Getz, never seen them play.

CHICAGO -- If the White Sox are looking to find a diamond in the rough through their 2008 non-roster invites to Spring Training, announced Friday, the options will be few and far between on the pitching side.

Nine players agreed to Minor League contracts with the White Sox and, along with middle infielder Chris Getz, 10 players have been extended non-roster invites. D.J. Carrasco, a veteran right-hander who posted a 14-15 record, two saves and a 4.81 ERA over 101 Major League appearances with Kansas City from 2003 to 2005, stands as the only hurler among this group.

With the White Sox presently having 22 pitchers already in camp, they didn't need much more assistance. Carrasco, 30, should be familiar with the Tucson Electric Park environs, finishing with a 5-14 record and 6.68 ERA in 34 games (22 starts) for Triple-A Tucson last season.

Getz, the 24-year-old fourth-round pick of the White Sox in the 2005 First-Year Player Draft from the University of Michigan, hit .299 with a .382 on-base percentage for Double-A Birmingham in 2007. One of the organization's top infield prospects, he was named to the Southern League midseason All-Star Team, but only played 72 games due to a right shin injury. Getz also compiled a .360 on-base percentage in the 2007 Arizona Fall League.

Infielder/outfielder Jason Bourgeois, infielders Brad Eldred, Royce Huffman, Jeff Liefer and Michael Rouse, outfielder Miguel Negron and catchers Paul Phillips and Ryan Smith complete the non-roster list. Bourgeois earned attention as part of the White Sox system in 2007 by hitting a combined .306 with Triple-A Charlotte and Birmingham. Bourgeois led all farmhands with 38 stolen bases and has a .279 average with 20 stolen bases for Caneros de los Mochis in the Mexican Pacific winter league.

Pablo Ozuna's healthy return, coupled with the presence of Juan Uribe and the expected official addition of Alexei Ramirez, leaves Bourgeois, 26, with more than an uphill battle ahead of him in trying to earn a roster spot.

Liefer, 33, was the White Sox top pick (25th overall) in the 1995 free agent draft. He hit .244 with 25 home runs and 79 RBIs in 209 games for the White Sox from 1999-2002, while also playing for Montreal, Tampa Bay, Milwaukee and Cleveland. Liefer hit .261 with eight home runs and 28 RBIs last season for the Seibu Lions of the Japanese Pacific League.

Seventeen non-roster players were invited to Spring Training last year by the White Sox, with 19 getting invitations in 2006. Eight pitchers were invited in each instance.

White Sox pitchers and catchers report to Spring Training on Sat., Feb. 16, with physicals and a workout scheduled for the same day. Position players are to report and undergo physicals on Thurs., Feb. 21. The first full-squad workout will also take place at that time.

Rouse, Phillips and Eldred will all be decent players for Charlotte.

Rouse: If I remember correctly, he had a great Spring Training for the Tribe last year, and made their Big League Team.

Didn't stay up very long... but he was there for a bit.

Phillips: another former Royal (yikes)

Eldred: Major Power... but seems to have missed his chance at stardom.

Liefer, 33, was the White Sox top pick (25th overall) in the 1995 free agent draft. He hit .244 with 25 home runs and 79 RBIs in 209 games for the White Sox from 1999-2002, while also playing for Montreal, Tampa Bay, Milwaukee and Cleveland. Liefer hit .261 with eight home runs and 28 RBIs last season for the Seibu Lions of the Japanese Pacific League.

He's only 33 :huh: I thought he was older :huh

I'd really like to see Uribe traded and give Jason Bourgeois a chance to make the team.

I wouldn't be surprised to see Bourgeois make the major league roster as a reserve, with the Sox sending Alexei Ramirez to Charlotte to give him full-time at-bats.

Ramirez is likely to need experience against better pitching than he faced in Cuba before making a serious contribution at the major league level.

Not that it'll mean much, but I'd like to have seen more pitchers on that list. If we're bare anywhere, it's either the bullpen or the back end of the rotation. Granted, the odds of any invitee making our rotation are slim because our back end is young, but the bullpen? It's certainly possible.

I have been waiting for the return of Liefer for so many years... Bout damn time!

Also, I see Bourgeois making the club only if Pablo has lot a step or two and is garbage in ST. If not, Bourgeois should still be on the 40 because Pablo is already what, 34?

Also, we really need to get rid of Uribe. What a horrible f***ing move by Williams to waste 4.5 million on that piece of trash.

Edited by BearSox

QUOTE(scenario @ Jan 11, 2008 -> 07:40 PM)
I wouldn't be surprised to see Bourgeois make the major league roster as a reserve, with the Sox sending Alexei Ramirez to Charlotte to give him full-time at-bats.

Ramirez is likely to need experience against better pitching than he faced in Cuba before making a serious contribution at the major league level.

It was made pretty clear prior to and after the signing, by his agent and others, that he signed with the White Sox on a major league deal and expected to be on the 25-man roster come Opening Day. He looked for a team that could offer that. There is a 99% chance he's on the major league roster - he won't be starting in Charlotte.

I could easily see Bougeouise (not going to check that spelling) has a great shot to make the team. He could easily beat out Owens or Pablo. Based on his SB numbers, he is a fast man, so the speed issue should not be one. He also can play middle infield or CF, so I am sure with his athleticism, he could make a serviceable LF or RF for a game or two.

My prediction: Bougeuise is on the 25-man roster to start the year.

QUOTE(palehose23 @ Jan 12, 2008 -> 12:49 PM)
He just hit long homeruns and never was a good hitter in the minors and I still hate him so he will not even get this dubious award.

I never understood how he got to be considered a prospect. Back then, I didn't even follow the minors, so its easy to say that now, but his numbers were underwhelming.

QUOTE(SoxFan101 @ Jan 13, 2008 -> 02:56 AM)
You guys need to look over his stats again, Im not positive but he was really productive in AA wasnt he? And I think his first stint in AAA was pretty positive too but not sure about all that.

He put up some good power numbers but he couldn't even hit for average in AAA. Why people thought he would bat above .250 in the majors I do not understand.