2008 AL Central Catch-All Thread

knightni

• Replies 519
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Benchwarmerjim @ Jul 23, 2008 -> 09:38 AM)
Francisco Liriano pitched last night against Toledo (From what I understand, one of the better hitting International League teams)

7IP, 0R, 2H, 2BB, 10K

99 pitches, 61 strikes

I think he needs more seasoning down there :rolleyes:

What do you bet that he starts against the Sox next week?

Todd Jones is out as Detroit's closer. After more than two years, Detroit suddenly realized it might be better to have a good pitcher out there in tough spots. The surprise is that it's Rodney getting the call, not Zumaya, though Zumaya doesn't appear to be healthy, so it's not really so surprising.

Dammit.

QUOTE (JFields27 @ Jul 30, 2008 -> 11:09 PM)
I didnt know the Indians picked up Steroid Stacker Jaun Rincon .. he'll lose it for the Indians

definitely saw this one coming

Detroit is up 14-12 right now

Ruiz is a weird one. He's a very good career .301/.375/.521/.896 in the minor leagues, yet he had never played in a major league game until tonight and never in a triple a game until late last year, at what is now age 30. The numbers say he can hit though, and they had him in the OF in Rochester, so it wouldn't surprise me if he somehow can help them out between those numbers and the Twins magie pixie dust. As for Liriano, at least we only have 3 games left with Minnesota? Let's hope he has a few bad starts, because just 2 or 3 of them makes his effect negligable with as late in the season as he was recalled.

yeah, Ruiz was brought in to be the left handed pitching basher

had a line of .313/.360/.514/.874 and was pretty much all of Rochesters offense this year

Where Ruiz is different than most guys the Twins bring up, he is pretty much a DH. Most guys that the Twins bring up are versitile guys who can at least be competent out in the field.

The specualtion is that Ruiz will be with the team until Michael Cuddyer is healthy again

QUOTE (WhiteSoxfan1986 @ Aug 2, 2008 -> 01:02 AM)
If the Twins are smart, Span will be the starting CF when Cuddyer is healthy, not Gomez.

Span is overachieving quite a bit and will regress eventually, but if he is still performing the way he is right now when Cuddyer comes back, you have to play Span and bench Gomez. Gomez has all the ability in the world, but I just wonder if he'll ever be able to hit major league pitching, as he never consistently even hit minor league pitching all that well. They don't need power from him obviously, just on base percentage and defense, but I'm not sure if he can do it. I think he has a lot of hope and promise long term, but right not at age 22, he looks a bit lost offensively.