Cloverfield thread

knightni

QUOTE(Tony82087 @ Jan 18, 2008 -> 10:56 PM)
However, I can't think of another movie that is designed for the theater experience more than this film. I just don't think it will translate over well to DVD, and thats disappointing, considering how much I enjoyed it. I guess I'm just happy that I saw it now.

Go see it.

Agreed. It needs to be seen on a huge screen. Especially if you sit close to the screen, it sucks you in. WARNING: Dont be prone to motion sickness if you sit near the front though.

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Tony82087 @ Jan 19, 2008 -> 12:06 AM)

I have to say, the subway tunnel scene was probably my favorite. When they got out of the attack, I was basically sweating. That scene was very intense. The Melena death sequence was also very intense, including her eyes bleeding.

My wife htes hates HATES spiders. She FREAKED during the subway scene. They were way too close to spiders for her.

QUOTE(KipWellsFan @ Jan 19, 2008 -> 11:42 AM)
Pic #1

Pic #2

Yah these are some pictures of the splash.

I still don't see a "splash" in those pictures. The big white thing on the right side of the screen was the cruise ship that was passing by. That was what I was watching during that whole part, as it seemed like we were being set up for something to happen in the background.

I guess according to Rob's "myspace" account, he was hired as the VP of Marketing for Slusho in America. There's the connection. Other websites (note: I didn't research this myself, I read it on imdb's threads) say that a piece of a Tagruato satellite fell out of orbit and into the ocean. Upon digging on their oil rig, they awoke some monster. There are also pictures online of a German "news telecast" that show one of the oil rigs being destroyed by something underneath it. Tagruato is the mother company of Slusho. The thing that confuses me is that the oil rig thing happened somewhere in open water, and the piece of satellite falling on the screen is just off the coast of NY. I guess it's possible that when the satellite broke apart, pieces fell to different areas. Anywho, the monster was dormant on the floor (or beneath the floor) of the ocean. It was awoken, destroyed the oil rig, and went towards the closest land mass. This happened to be NY.

I'm sure more information will come out soon enough, but this is a good enough explanation for me for now.

QUOTE(Kid Gleason @ Jan 19, 2008 -> 04:42 PM)
I still don't see a "splash" in those pictures. The big white thing on the right side of the screen was the cruise ship that was passing by. That was what I was watching during that whole part, as it seemed like we were being set up for something to happen in the background.

It did happen

That was no satellite, im telling you if you go to see it again you'll see it, its on the right side in the background.. Unless you are blind you cant miss it

Edited by Shadows

WAS gonna go see it tomorrow. Go figure.

MARCUS THEATRES® UNABLE TO REACH AGREEMENT TO SHOW CLOVERFIELD

Milwaukee, Wis., January 14th, 2008…..

Marcus Theatres® today announced it will not show the new motion picture Cloverfield, which will be released on January 18, 2008, at any of its 49 locations.

“Our negotiations with this film distributor have again reached an impasse. Marcus Theatres did not show Sweeney Todd on its first run availability date because acceptable terms could not be negotiated and now we will not be exhibiting Cloverfield at any of our locations for similar reasons,” said Bruce J. Olson, president of Marcus Theatres®. “Our ongoing negotiations have not resulted in film terms that are acceptable to Marcus Theatres and this film studio. Unfortunately, Cloverfield will not be exhibited on the date of its first run availability at our theatres.”

“We regret the inconvenience that this will cause moviegoers. We hope that we will be able to reach an agreement to show Cloverfield at a later date, just as we are now playing Sweeney Todd, at terms acceptable to Marcus Theatres,” said Olson.

Sweeney Todd is now playing at 15 Marcus Theatres locations with more theatres opening the film on Friday, January 18th.

QUOTE(knightni @ Jan 19, 2008 -> 09:28 PM)

I would think that something that large falling from space would create a Deep Rising/Armageddon tidal wave situation. Are you sure that it wasn't flying debris from the oil tanker being destroyed?

Impossible, the Oil Tanker was destroyed a month later.. the Coney Island footage was in April, a month earlier than when the attack happened..

It is clearly the monster falling into the water, which would make it an alien. I think from looking at it and the parasites that fell from it you could easily see how they all correlate with each other.

QUOTE(Shadows @ Jan 19, 2008 -> 10:54 PM)

Impossible, the Oil Tanker was destroyed a month later.. the Coney Island footage was in April, a month earlier than when the attack happened..

It is clearly the monster falling into the water, which would make it an alien. I think from looking at it and the parasites that fell from it you could easily see how they all correlate with each other.

The only problem with that theory is.... if something as big as that Giant crashed so close to New York there would be a huge wave that would come from it. That thing was gigantic and fell from space lol.

I'd like to at least consider myself somewhat of a connoisseur when it comes to movies, and I'm a particularly hard sell.... but I absolutely loved this movie.

Someone said it earlier and I couldnt agree more... this is truly a movie you must see in the theater and preferably with a large crowd.

I have been following the viral marketing on and off since the trailer premiered with transformers, and I think knowing some of the back story enhanced the story for me. I liked the feeling of having the film speak to me specifically because I knew some of the references that required prior knowledge (Jason wearing the Slusho shirt).

Consider me a sucker for this type of marketing... I think JJ Abrams should be lauded for his creativity. The imagination behind this movie was absolutely inspiring. It may not take a total genius to combine the concepts of Blair witch and Godzilla together, but it was something else to tell the story the way he did... completely ignoring the norm and allowing the audience to decide how deep they wanted to journey down the rabbit hole.

The monster was also sick, not like anything you could have ever imagined... scary, ugly, and unique. Abrams had said it somewhere he wanted to make the US version of Godzilla, this may not have the same type of personality Godzilla had... but it was none-the-less effective.

I don't like to give numbers, but i'd give clover field ****1/2 out of *****

/ end Abrams suck fest.

QUOTE(SoxFan101 @ Jan 20, 2008 -> 12:47 AM)

The only problem with that theory is.... if something as big as that Giant crashed so close to New York there would be a huge wave that would come from it. That thing was gigantic and fell from space lol.

Not true

haven't you seen the Olympics, its possible to dive into the water without making much of a splash

QUOTE(SoxFan101 @ Jan 20, 2008 -> 01:49 AM)
I'm really hoping your joking lol?

I was

However, the point being is it could have happened with no tidal wave due to just that..

It could have been smaller at the time of its arrival and slowly grew over the month it was beneath the ocean.

QUOTE(Shadows @ Jan 20, 2008 -> 01:54 AM)
I was

However, the point being is it could have happened with no tidal wave due to just that..

It could have been smaller at the time of its arrival and slowly grew over the month it was beneath the ocean.

It would have to be waaayyy smaller to not create a tidal wave of anykind... even a small one. Plus, if this monster was able to survive going through our atmosphere and stuff as a little thing..... no way in hell we could ever hope to have the weapons to destroy it as a huge monster. By that logic, everyone might as well commit suicide lol because no stopping that thing

QUOTE(Shadows @ Jan 19, 2008 -> 05:23 PM)
It did happen

That was no satellite, im telling you if you go to see it again you'll see it, its on the right side in the background.. Unless you are blind you cant miss it

Oh, I'm not doubting YOU, I'm saying in those pictures posted up there you can't see it. I do plan to see this again, hopefully this week. Plus I surely will be buying the Super-Duper-Mega-Monster-Deluxe version of the DVD, so I will have plenty of time to freeze frame that picture.

QUOTE(Kid Gleason @ Jan 20, 2008 -> 12:00 PM)
Oh, I'm not doubting YOU, I'm saying in those pictures posted up there you can't see it. I do plan to see this again, hopefully this week. Plus I surely will be buying the Super-Duper-Mega-Monster-Deluxe version of the DVD, so I will have plenty of time to freeze frame that picture.

My bad dude, my post wasn't meant to sound hostile I just read it again.. you would have had to hear it in real life. You cant see anything in those pictures, but you can clearly see if it you pay attention to that part of the movie. Its on the right side in the distance.

http://www.cnn.com/2008/SHOWBIZ/Movies/01/...e.ap/index.html

Paramount's tale of a giant reptile causing chaos in New York City surpassed the $35.9 million premiere weekend of the "Star Wars" special edition in 1997, the previous best for January.

Is this what you guys would consider the monster, a reptile?

I may get flamed for this, but am I the only person that HATED this movie?

I understand suspending belief when it comes to films, but come on....this was a little much. The entire premise of Rob going back for Beth was mind-bogglingly stupid. And the fact that his friends would follow him the whole time is even more unbelievable. At no point, did I feel any sympathy for any of these characters, and ultimately that's where the movie falls way short.

In theory, this is a good concept (with some interesting viral marketing) and I'm glad to see Hollywood took a chance on this film instead of something like Click 2: Electric Boogaloo staring Adam Sandler. But, I'm of the opinion that it fell flat on its face.

Other minor gripes:

- I believe it's the shortest movie I've ever seen. Went to a 10pm showing last night and was out at 11:20 or so. Meaning that's its basically about as long as an episode of Lost. This really isn't a problem if executed properly, but you can tell the length had an adverse effect on character/plot development.

- Shakey Cam. Take a dramamine (sp?) before you see this one. I'm not really one to be prone to motion sickness and didn't think this would bother me, but it's really distracting. At times, you'll have to look away out of sheer frustration of the odd angles and the picture constantly jumping around. I couldn't even imagine watching this one in the first 10 rows.

Edited by Fotop

QUOTE(Fotop @ Jan 21, 2008 -> 11:15 AM)
I may get flamed for this, but am I the only person that HATED this movie?

I understand suspending belief when it comes to films, but come on....this was a little much.

The entire premise of Rob going back for Beth was mind-bogglingly stupid. And the fact that his friends would follow him the whole time is even more unbelievable. At no point, did I feel any sympathy for any of these characters, and ultimately that's where the movie falls way short.

I've seen enough negative about the movie to know that you can feel safe in knowing you are not alone in your hatred.

Why is the premise of his going to get Beth a bad premise? Can you think of any other reason why somebody would run into the path of a giant monster other than to save somebody they cared about? Personally it is pretty much the only reason I can think of. People lose their lives running into burning buildings to save loved ones, as an example.

SPOILERS:

The friends following you can maybe go with being a stretch, but Hud went due to being Rob's best friend, and Lil went due to basically because she just lost Jason and maybe wanted to not let another "loved one" die.

So I think it's safe to assume major plot points/movie discussion can be had here since there's huge spoiler warnings everywhere. But just in case you just HAD to click (I've been there as well), realize there are MAJOR SPOILERS in my commentary below:

I think at the very base of it, the bond between Rob/Beth was not established well. This is what was setup, albeit very quickly/without much detail: they were close friends for a long time, they slept together recently, he hadn't talked to her since, now she's playing games with him by bringing random boyfriend to his going-away party. To me, that's not really a strong base for going through all the ridiculous feats they had to go through to get to her.

Not only that but there's a strong probability to assume she's dead from the start...voicemail about how she can't move (and sounds on death's door), her building completely ravaged and only supported by the larger building next to it, etc. The poor foundation for their bond, combined with the complete disregard logic/reality make for poor execution. There are countless examples of the disregard of logic/reality but ill use only those that involved Beth: surviving in a building that was destroyed by a monster that can't be slowed by anything, being able to climb the building next door to jump into her building, having two non-professionals pulling her out of her impailment predicament (and her being perfectly fine), and for the sake of fun I'll throw the helicopter crash out there (being able to survive that and walk it off is basically superhuman). Frankly, it's all too much.

I get it...love is blind/unconditional & hope is eternal/everlasting, yadda yadda yadda. And there's nothing wrong with those themes, they've made a gazillion dollars for Hollywood and are very powerful when executed properly. It's just this time it was damn near impossible to buy into them for the reasons stated above.

On the whole, this scenario is a microcosm of the movie as a whole. You want to get lost in the story, you want to believe what's happening, but everything is far too much of a stretch for someone to believe (even if you've programmed your mind to justify outlandish scenarios with the "it's a movie" defense).

Watching this in a theater full of people is a prime example of why it doesn't work. Way too many people, including myself, were laughing at points in the movie in which the intentions of the creators was to generate the opposite response. Call it poor acting, poor writing, poor execution, or whatever....but in the end it just didn't hit properly and became a parody of itself (if that's even possible in an 80 min span).

Edited by knightni

Fotop,

Yeah its a stretch I agree, but at the same time Beth was clearly his "one". An important scene is when he asks "Did you take the tape out of the camera" because it is clearly a statement towards the fact that he had been saving that tape and rewatching it because it was when he got to be with Beth not just as friends. The fact that his last words to her were mean and spiteful, even though he probably blamed himself for the fact that the relationship wasnt going forward, were the onus for him having to change something.

Basically life wasnt worth living for him if Beth wasnt in it, and it took a horrific event in his life for him to finally prioritize properly. The job in Japan may have been great, but Beth was his everything, and when things started to go to hell, he realized that even if he made it through, without Beth as the light at the end of the tunnel, there just was no point in getting to the other side.

I said that no way in hell id go back, but the more i think about it, I know if something was really happening, I would maybe go back.

As for his friends, yeah thats more of a stretch but I think his brothers girlfriend was really close to him as it appeared she threw the party, and the camera man was his best friend. In a panic like that, probably just dont want to be alone running through the streets and if the rest of your group is doing something stupid, you just go along for the ride.