Spring Training is Officially Here

joejoesox

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Feb 20, 2008 -> 12:32 AM)
Am I missing something with Sportsline? We're like a week into spring training and thus far the only 2 teams that have had pics uploaded are the f***ing Mets and Yankees. I f***ing hate New York.

CBS sucks now; 95% of the pics they release for college basketball are the dated ones that can't be re-sized.

QUOTE(joesaiditstrue @ Feb 20, 2008 -> 07:49 AM)
slightly off topic, but i can't wait to see fields play this year

http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/media/play..._free&_mp=1

not off topic at all. i'm starting to love fields and i feel he'll have a good year for us. 2 homers off santana is something that can stand to be relived a few times. :)

TUCSON, Ariz. - Because of physical examinations Thursday morning, new White Sox player Alexei Ramirez didn't speak to reporters.

But the free-agent signee from Cuba looked as young as his 26 years and sported a lean build reminsicent of a young Alfonso Soriano.

The 2008 Sox's media guide couldn't be printed until Ramirez arrived so the photo department could take a mug shot of him wearing a Sox cap.

TUCSON, Ariz. - Juan Uribe reported to the White Sox's camp Thursday without any bitterness over losing his shortstop job to Orlando Cabrera.

"I'll play wherever they want me to," said Uribe, who was greeted with several teammates.

Uribe expressed a desire to stay with the Sox despite the possibility of diminished playing time

TUCSON, Ariz. - The White Sox are in the midst of their annual team meeting.

Two of the topics that manager Ozzie Guillen will cover in a long list on a yellow notepad are the dangers and consequences of drunk driving, which he emphasized last year, and cooperating with the media.

TUCSON, Ariz. - Newcomer Orlando Cabrera revealed that manager Ozzie Guillen wasn't always annimated when he served as a coach with Montreal during the 2001 season.

"I saw him sleeping one time during a game in the dugout. "Cabrera said. "I know he's a guy who expects a lot from the players and try to win, tries to do the things that bring you to the big leagues and get you to as high a level as you can."

Cabrera said he didn't think of waking up Guillen.

"No, it was fun," Cabrera smiled.

Cowley’s Top 5 …

TUCSON, Ariz. – Top 5 observations to come out of the early days of spring training.

5. The Real Deal – It was instantly obvious on the first day of Nick Swisher’s arrival why general manager Ken Williams gave up so much to get him. If a lack of a swagger was truly one of the problems facing the White Sox clubhouse the last few years, problem solved. Swisher hasn’t had one at-bat on the South Side yet, but is already setting the stage to be one of the more popular players on the team. He has the grinder attitude of an Aaron Rowand, the cockiness of an A.J. Pierzynski and then brings his own style by dropping “man’’ in a sentence more than American Idol’s Randy Jackson. You need an example? “My old man played with the Cubs for all those years and told me about Chicago and what a great town it is,’’ Swisher said. “Man, it really is. I’ve had the chance to go there a few times and, I don’t know man, it’s like I’m getting giddy, like a little school kid.’’

4. Good Ol’ Boy – Any concerns that a $56-million contract extension would change Mark Buehrle were quickly put to rest on Wednesday. The lefty starter was his usual trash-talking self in his first session against live hitters, and especially had fun with “Buehrle-Killer’’ Jermaine Dye. Dye, who has owned Buehrle throughout his career, took a swipe at one Buehrle pitch and broke his bat. Buehrle started laughing, and yelled to Dye that he wanted the cracked bat autographed. No word yet on if his request was met.

3. Turn the Page – Pitcher John Danks pitched like, well, a rookie the second half of last season, but is poised to have a breakout year. Why? The southpaw has been working on a cutter similar to Buehrle’s since late last year, and now seems to have it mastered. Case in point: On Wednesday, facing live hitters, Danks squared off with spring roommate Josh Fields. “He keeps telling me about this cutter,’’ Fields said, before the showdown. After the seven-pitch at-bat, Fields seemed impressed. “Wow, I guess he wasn’t kidding,’’ Fields added. “It was nastier than advertised.’’

2. 65* - Outfielder Jerry Owens checked into camp on Tuesday, sounding, and looking, like he was all business. He’s sporting 10 pounds of muscle, as well as a fro that would make Linc from “The Mod Squad’’ jealous. Owens also called his own shot, predicting 65 stolen bases this season if he gets 500-plus at-bats.

1. Reality Check – As far as I’m concerned, few television shows rival MTV’s “Rob & Big,’’ but considering the living arrangements for Sox catcher A.J. Pierzynski this spring, there’s a hit reality show in-waiting. “Boo-Zynski’’ just happens to be rooming with all 6-foot-6, 265 pounds of minor league conditioning coordinator Dale Torborg – aka “The Demon’’ from his days as a WCW wrestler. The introduction to the show itself would be priceless, with the theme song from “The Courtship of Eddie’s Father’’ playing. Pierzynski then tosses a Frisbee towards his roommate, and “The Demon’’ promptly catches it, takes a bite out of it and throws it on the ground in anger. You hear me Hollywood – do your job!

QUOTE(The Ginger Kid @ Feb 21, 2008 -> 02:58 PM)
Cowley’s Top 5 …

TUCSON, Ariz. – Top 5 observations to come out of the early days of spring training.

5. The Real Deal – It was instantly obvious on the first day of Nick Swisher’s arrival why general manager Ken Williams gave up so much to get him. If a lack of a swagger was truly one of the problems facing the White Sox clubhouse the last few years, problem solved. Swisher hasn’t had one at-bat on the South Side yet, but is already setting the stage to be one of the more popular players on the team. He has the grinder attitude of an Aaron Rowand, the cockiness of an A.J. Pierzynski and then brings his own style by dropping “man’’ in a sentence more than American Idol’s Randy Jackson. You need an example? “My old man played with the Cubs for all those years and told me about Chicago and what a great town it is,’’ Swisher said. “Man, it really is. I’ve had the chance to go there a few times and, I don’t know man, it’s like I’m getting giddy, like a little school kid.’’

4. Good Ol’ Boy – Any concerns that a $56-million contract extension would change Mark Buehrle were quickly put to rest on Wednesday. The lefty starter was his usual trash-talking self in his first session against live hitters, and especially had fun with “Buehrle-Killer’’ Jermaine Dye. Dye, who has owned Buehrle throughout his career, took a swipe at one Buehrle pitch and broke his bat. Buehrle started laughing, and yelled to Dye that he wanted the cracked bat autographed. No word yet on if his request was met.

3. Turn the Page – Pitcher John Danks pitched like, well, a rookie the second half of last season, but is poised to have a breakout year. Why? The southpaw has been working on a cutter similar to Buehrle’s since late last year, and now seems to have it mastered. Case in point: On Wednesday, facing live hitters, Danks squared off with spring roommate Josh Fields. “He keeps telling me about this cutter,’’ Fields said, before the showdown. After the seven-pitch at-bat, Fields seemed impressed. “Wow, I guess he wasn’t kidding,’’ Fields added. “It was nastier than advertised.’’

2. 65* - Outfielder Jerry Owens checked into camp on Tuesday, sounding, and looking, like he was all business. He’s sporting 10 pounds of muscle, as well as a fro that would make Linc from “The Mod Squad’’ jealous. Owens also called his own shot, predicting 65 stolen bases this season if he gets 500-plus at-bats.

1. Reality Check – As far as I’m concerned, few television shows rival MTV’s “Rob & Big,’’ but considering the living arrangements for Sox catcher A.J. Pierzynski this spring, there’s a hit reality show in-waiting. “Boo-Zynski’’ just happens to be rooming with all 6-foot-6, 265 pounds of minor league conditioning coordinator Dale Torborg – aka “The Demon’’ from his days as a WCW wrestler. The introduction to the show itself would be priceless, with the theme song from “The Courtship of Eddie’s Father’’ playing. Pierzynski then tosses a Frisbee towards his roommate, and “The Demon’’ promptly catches it, takes a bite out of it and throws it on the ground in anger. You hear me Hollywood – do your job!

I hope Danks' cutter is truely mastered. If true, I think he will have a much better season than last. Expecially considering hes with buehrle all day everyday...i expect him to make a big jump this year.