My take on the mind blowing trade.

CWSOX45

Seems to me that this "mind blowing" deal won't take place until the Rangers choose their 3 players of the 8 that we packaged for them.

That way the Sox will go into the last "blockbuster" deal and possibly give the other team some of the names left in those 5 remaining after the Rangers deal?

CWSOX45

Possibly, but some major leaguers would probably would have to be included if it is so "mind-blowing" :huh:

Dammit you're right.

DAMMIT, JUST MAKE THE f***IN TRADE RIGHT NOW, SO I CAN ACTUALLY SLEEP TONIGHT!!!

CWSOX45

Guest hotsoxchick1
Possibly, but some major leaguers would probably would have to be included if it is so "mind-blowing" :huh:

well if they didnt trade some major players then we would have a bench full of guys sittin around doing nothing... so someone has to go.....not only the minor guys...........right????

well if they didnt trade some major players then we would have a bench full of guys sittin around doing nothing... so someone has to go.....not only the minor guys...........right????

Right, if you're gonna add major league players, guys have to vanish off the major league roster...

Right now, I see Konerko, Glover, and White as guys we could trade. Who else? Daubach?

Wright and Garland too I suppose, though I don't see the need to do that. I like Garland as a starter, and I think Wright would make a hell of a reliever.

Right now, I see Konerko, Glover, and White as guys we could trade.  Who else?  Daubach? 

Wright and Garland too I suppose, though I don't see the need to do that.  I like Garland as a starter, and I think Wright would make a hell of a reliever.

Konerko for sure can go.

I could see Lee, since he's sorta cheap, and has potential.

Guest hotsoxchick1
Right now, I see Konerko, Glover, and White as guys we could trade.  Who else?  Daubach? 

Wright and Garland too I suppose, though I don't see the need to do that.  I like Garland as a starter, and I think Wright would make a hell of a reliever.

i think i would hang onto dauber for a little while more.... dump paulie.......

Konerko for sure can go.

I could see Lee, since he's sorta cheap, and has potential.

Oh s***, I forgot about Lee. He could definately go as well.

I just don't know who all could be traded. This team, the way it is, it could become very good.

However, with this blockbuster deal....I can think of about one place we could actually get improvement. We could improve at 3B offensively. Trading Lee for another position player would be pointless. We'd still have the same number of corner OFers that we have now(let's say we trade for Joe Hoe....we then have Joe Hoe, Daubach, Maggs, Everett, and Rowand that can all play a corner OF spot). We can't really add another CFer without trading Rowand or Harris, and I find no point in that, because they have little value as it is). We have no need to trade for a RFer, a 2Bman, a 1Bman, and a C, because of who we have at these positions. We just acquired Robby Alomar for 2B, we have the future in Olivo behind the plate and I see no reason we need to sacrifice the future at that spot, and not only do we have too many 1B/RF types as it is, but we have studs at these spots in Thomas, Daubach, and Maggs. And at SS, I suppose we could improve, but who is available that we could trade for that would improve us? How about no one?

We have had an interest in Sidney Ponson over the years, and it is growing this year. Anyone know who is leading the Orioles in RBI? Tony Batista, a 3Bman.

I wouldn't mind having Willis Roberts or Kerry Lightenberg on the team either, just to let you know.

I wouldn't mind Tony Batista (.259, 15 HR, 57 RBI in 317 AB) either. That would be an upgrade, but I would not want to pay the rest of his $6.4 million salary unless the Orioles took some of our high-priced players, ie Konerko. I would take Jason Johnson (7-3, 3.89 ERA, 90.1 IP).

I wouldn't mind Tony Batista (.259, 15 HR, 57 RBI in 317 AB) either. That would be an upgrade, but I would not want to pay the rest of his $6.4 million salary unless the Orioles took some of our high-priced players, ie Konerko. I would take Jason Johnson (7-3, 3.89 ERA, 90.1 IP).

I could see a Konerko and Crede for Ponson, Batista, and Roberts/Lightenberg deal work out. In fact, I think that would be a great deal for us. Sure we lose Crede, which bites big time, but we get Batista, who hits better then Crede, Ponson, a hell of a good starter, and Willis Roberts or Lightenberg, for bullpen help.

We then try to resign Batista after we get the important guys resigned. If we can't resign him, we then go after Smiley, Joe Randa. He's a hell of a ballplayer, and he flat out plays the game right. He'd be an incredibly good signing, and not only would it be a good signing for us, but he then couldn't kill us, and that's even better.

Ponson and/or Batista doesn't sound "mindblowing" to me.  Sure they'd be nice additions, but was this what Hawk calls mindblowing?

Who else is mind blowing though?

I know Batista isn't mind blowing, but right now, after acquring two very good players, who could we get that would blow my mind?

I could see a Konerko and Crede for Ponson, Batista, and Roberts/Lightenberg deal work out.  In fact, I think that would be a great deal for us.  Sure we lose Crede, which bites big time, but we get Batista, who hits better then Crede, Ponson, a hell of a good starter, and Willis Roberts or Lightenberg, for bullpen help. 

We then try to resign Batista after we get the important guys resigned.  If we can't resign him, we then go after Smiley, Joe Randa.  He's a hell of a ballplayer, and he flat out plays the game right.  He'd be an incredibly good signing, and not only would it be a good signing for us, but he then couldn't kill us, and that's even better.

They said during the Cubs game on WGN tonight that Randa was held out of the lineup for potential trade reasons. They also said it could possibly be an injury.

I could see a Konerko and Crede for Ponson, Batista, and Roberts/Lightenberg deal work out.  In fact, I think that would be a great deal for us.  Sure we lose Crede, which bites big time, but we get Batista, who hits better then Crede, Ponson, a hell of a good starter, and Willis Roberts or Lightenberg, for bullpen help. 

We then try to resign Batista after we get the important guys resigned.  If we can't resign him, we then go after Smiley, Joe Randa.  He's a hell of a ballplayer, and he flat out plays the game right.  He'd be an incredibly good signing, and not only would it be a good signing for us, but he then couldn't kill us, and that's even better.

To be honest I am not really interested in Bautista at all. I think that would be a terrible trade. In my opinion Crede and Konerko weigh heavily on the future of the Sox.

Did Toronto not just release Batista last season?  ..... Hell, if that's the case, I don't want to give up anything of value for him.

The Jays put him on waivers(like a lot of teams do for their higher priced players in August), and the Orioles claimed him. The Blue Jays didn't want him back, so they let the O's have him.

It was two seasons ago I do believe. Correct me if I'm wrong but didn't the 2002 AL Rookie of the Year Eric Hinske play all year at third for the Jays. I could have sworn he was with the Orioles during part of the 2001 season too.

When did Hawk speak of this "mind blowing trade"? Was it during Wednesday's Twin game? If so, when during the game did he say it? I have it on tape, so I want to go back and hear exactly what he said, but I dont' want to sit through all 4 hours to hear him say it. :D

It was on the Score as he was interviewed on the trades on Wensday. He claimed there was one more deal that was mindboggling and if the deal went through then the Sox would have a great chance for the playoffs and possibly the world series. He would not discuss players.

When did Hawk speak of this "mind blowing trade"?  Was it during Wednesday's Twin game?  If so, when during the game did he say it?  I have it on tape, so I want to go back and hear exactly what he said, but I dont' want to sit through all 4 hours to hear him say it. :D

I believe "knock your socks off" was how he described it. HSC got an email from someone that said it would "blow her away". The email was pretty damned vague, hence the reason we don't know anything else right now.

Yes I believe you are correct that he was released in 2001.  Enough talk about bautista though, I'm imagining him taking Crede's place and it's making me woosy.

He was not released. I am almost positive on this. He was struggling at the time, the Blue Jays put him on waivers like a lot of teams do to players(I know we did it to Foulke last year, and he cleared, and we put Wunsch on waivers, but he did not clear, so we took him off). The Orioles put a claim in for Batista, and the Jays didn't take him off waivers, so they let the Orioles have him.

Here, this is from his profile on MLB.com

Began the season with the Toronto Blue Jays before being claimed by the Orioles on waivers on June 25...Batted .207 with 13 HR and 45 RBI in 72 games for Blue Jays and hit .266 with 12 HR and 42 RBI in 84 games with the Orioles.