ACC Tournament

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ Mar 15, 2008 -> 02:52 PM)
I think there is a pretty good chance that Virginia Tech will get in because the committee (wrongly IMO) puts a lot of emphasis on your last 12 games. But if they don't make it, they are getting what they deserve. Same goes for Kentucky, so has a very similar resume to Tech.

Kentucky's resume is much stronger imo. Kentucky has at least beat some teams, Va Tech has a whole 1 top 50 win. UK has 4 top 50 wins including the W against Tenn. If it comes down between those two, it's an easy choice imo.

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ Mar 15, 2008 -> 07:55 PM)
Bad PR? They don't travel well for basketball and have only one top 50 RPI win. Plus, if your referring to the shootings, that anniversary isn't until about two weeks after the tournament.

Yes, I'm referring to the shootings.

For the record, I think with their loss today, Kentucky deserves to be out. To lose to a horrible Georgia team in an empty/neutral arena quarterfinal is embarassing. Plus, I read Kentucky's RPI is going to drop 10 to 12 spots just due to that loss alone. I don't think Virginia Tech exactly deserves to be in either. However, with as bad as the bubble teams are this year, I'd be less than surprised if they both make it, or at least one.

QUOTE(fathom @ Mar 15, 2008 -> 03:00 PM)
I don't really care, but if you get 4th in the ACC, you should make the tourney.

Well that's just pure bull crap. Their best win during the ACC regular season was against the 6 seeded Terps, good for them.

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ Mar 15, 2008 -> 09:02 PM)
For the record, I think with their loss today, Kentucky deserves to be out. To lose to a horrible Georgia team in an empty/neutral arena quarterfinal is embarassing. Plus, I read Kentucky's RPI is going to drop 10 to 12 spots just due to that loss alone. I don't think Virginia Tech exactly deserves to be in either. However, with as bad as the bubble teams are this year, I'd be less than surprised if they both make it, or at least one.

12 spots to number 60.

The ACC was very down this year, so I don't take much stock into them finishing 4th. I've said all year the Big 10 is as bad as I've seen it this season, but I could make the same case for the ACC. No disrespect to their programs, but Miami of Florida getting 22 wins and Clemson finshing 3rd and 10-6 in conference just tells you how bad the league was this year. And that doesn't include the fact that the league had zero depth.

Edited by whitesoxfan101

Team A:

20-10; RPI 45, SOS 71; 1-6 v. top 50; 4-7 v. top 100 (best win home versus #42); 7-5 in last 12; 6-8 RD/NT

Team B:

19-13; RPI 55, SOS 51; 1-7 v. top 50; 6-9 v. top 100 (best win neutral versus #32); 7-5 in last 12; 7-11 RD/NT

Edited by Rowand44

QUOTE(farmteam @ Mar 15, 2008 -> 03:59 PM)
I'll take Team B. Who are they?

Team A is Creighton, Team B is Va Tech. Those resumes are real f'n similar. Now I'm not trying to say Creighton should be in(cause they shouldn't be close) but it's just to prove how s***ty Va Techs resume is.

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ Mar 15, 2008 -> 08:06 PM)
The ACC was very down this year, so I don't take much stock into them finishing 4th. I've said all year the Big 10 is as bad as I've seen it this season, but I could make the same case for the ACC. No disrespect to their programs, but Miami of Florida getting 22 wins and Clemson finshing 3rd and 10-6 in conference just tells you how bad the league was this year. And that doesn't include the fact that the league had zero depth.

If it's a bad league, then just about every league is bad this year. The PAC 10 is the best league overall, but then I'd put the ACC second. Clemson's a very good team that's had a ton of injuries to overcome this season.

QUOTE(fathom @ Mar 15, 2008 -> 05:08 PM)
If it's a bad league, then just about every league is bad this year.

Bingo, there you have it. Although I do give Clemson credit, they are a lot better than I thought they were. I figured they just matched up well with UNC and that's why they played them well (and should have won) both meetings while beating on the rest of the league's mediocre, but they earned it today against Duke.

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ Mar 15, 2008 -> 10:32 PM)
Bingo, there you have it. Although I do give Clemson credit, they are a lot better than I thought they were. I figured they just matched up well with UNC and that's why they played them well (and should have won) both meetings while beating on the rest of the league's mediocre, but they earned it today against Duke.

4 of Clemson's 5 best players have had injuries this year also. However, I can see them getting upset in the first round of the NCAAT, as they still suck at FT shooting.

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ Mar 15, 2008 -> 03:40 PM)
Virginia Tech will probably get in with all the help they've gotten and the fact they played North Carolina to the buzzer in what was basically a road game today. As for Tyler Hansbrough.....he'll have his day when he's in the NBA and can't get on the floor, just like what happened to J.J. Redick.

Redick is plenty good enough to be playing in the NBA. He'll get traded and will make the Magic look stupid.

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ Mar 15, 2008 -> 04:06 PM)

Why does this make it a bad league?? The same teams outside of Duke and UNC arent going to contend every year.

And its not Miami of Florida! :P

Purnell is getting better and better players at Clemson. He used to just have athletes that weren't very good players, but now the players are getting better and better. He seems to be reviving the 40 minutes of hell philosophy. I know my sister and her husband are ecstatic as Clemson grads.