Final Four Thread

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That last basket really hurt. Still, if UNC can get it to 10 with 10 mins left it should be a game. UNC took a big dump in the first half and Kansas played out of their minds. Cole Aldrich is going to be a good one, I saw him dominate when he played Texas Tech, and now he got the best of the NPOY in the first.

QUOTE(Brian @ Apr 5, 2008 -> 10:07 PM)
He's not as great as Derrick Rose, but the Chicago media should start giving Collins some love.

Not the right night to bring that up, as Collins had a terrible game up until those final 5 minutes (7 turnovers, out of control all game), but he's a very good player. On a random note btw, does Roy Williams EVER call timeouts when his team is playing poorly? He's even worse than Phil Jackson in that regard.

Anyways.....UCLA and Carolina really should be ashamed, they both just played embarassing basketball not worthy of note besides that Kansas panic-aided run by UNC in the early/mid 2nd. Memphis and Kansas are great teams though, should be a wonderful final, but UNC and UCLA distinguished themselves both as beyond overrated tonight.

I'll say Memphis wins Monday night since I picked Kansas to win it all before the tournament and the team that I picked to win it all before the tournament hast lost the title game 3 years in a row.

Edited by whitesoxfan101

does Roy Williams EVER call timeouts when his team is playing poorly?

No he does not, and it's a huge issue with UNC fans now. Doesn't make any sense. I don't have any shame in saying that coach K is a much better in game coach than Roy, but thankfully Roy recruits circles around him.

Kansas just played out of their minds in the first half and withstood the UNC run, and then put them away at the end.

I still think Memphis and Rose will carve up the KU guards though.

QUOTE(Palehosefan @ Apr 5, 2008 -> 11:25 PM)
No he does not, and it's a huge issue with UNC fans now. Doesn't make any sense. I don't have any shame in saying that coach K is a much better in game coach than Roy, but thankfully Roy recruits circles around him.

Kansas just played out of their minds in the first half and withstood the UNC run, and then put them away at the end.

I still think Memphis and Rose will carve up the KU guards though.

I also thought Roy's substitution patterns made no sense at times tonight. I understand you are trying to keep guys fresh but he pulled Hansbrough, Lawson, and Ellington at the same time right before the under 8 tv timeout in the 2nd half. UNC had the ball and was down 5 at that time. They had an empty possession and then sent Aldrich to the line for 2. It is the final 4 and you have all the momentum and 40 seconds really isn't going to make a difference in terms of how tired they are. That just didn't make any sense to me. I also think he played Thomas too much (even though Lawson didn't have a great game) because he brought absolutely nothing to the table.

And you are right as well. Roy got his lunch handed to him tonight. Hopefully everyone will return, I don't see a reason why not. But Lawson has to find some heart over the offseason and Deon Thompson just needs to learn how to be a man apparently.

Edited by Palehosefan

I can't blame Roy for taking out the big three at the same time there with 8 minutes left in the half, not with the way they were playing. I will say this, I think that coaching in general in terms of what happens in the game is overrated. Most of these high calibur coaches that get the big time talent are just awful in game coaches, I'm not sure if getting talent makes them lazy but the coaches with the great talent just don't coach well in game for the most part IMO. I thought Tyler Hansbrough was a letdown tonight too, for an "effort" guy, he was outworked quite a bit by Cole Aldrich.

I'm so pleased the title game is KU/Memphis though. Maybe some of the absolutely idiotic Bruce Weber defenders that somehow still exist will see the error of their ways when two great Chicago point guards that Bruce failed to get are going at it for the title on Monday. I just hope Kansas wins however, I've always been a big fan of Rose but I want to see Bill Self silence the last of the fools that still say he can't coach on Monday (they still exist, although most of them wear orange). That's not a diss at the Illini fans here though, MOST of them seem to at least grasp reality.

Edited by whitesoxfan101

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ Apr 5, 2008 -> 10:46 PM)
I'm so pleased the title game is KU/Memphis though. Maybe some of the absolutely idiotic Bruce Weber defenders that somehow still exist will see the error of their ways when two great Chicago point guards that Bruce failed to get are going at it for the title on Monday. I just hope Kansas wins however, I've always been a big fan of Rose but I want to see Bill Self silence the last of the fools that still say he can't coach on Monday (they still exist, although most of them wear orange). That's not a diss at the Illini fans here though, MOST of them seem to at least grasp reality.

People realize his mistakes, but I don't think you can fault him for Derrick Rose at all. He was never going to Illinois.

QUOTE(gbuk @ Apr 6, 2008 -> 12:55 AM)
People realize his mistakes, but I don't think you can fault him for Derrick Rose at all. He was never going to Illinois.

He was never going to an Illinois team that Weber coached. If Illinois had an elite coach like Self, there would have been a much better chance. But this thread should be about the two premier teams in college basketball, not Illinois.

Until they got sloppy, Kansas played as well as any team I've seen in years -- especially on defense. I think they'll beat Memphis handily.