2008 General Election Discussion Thread

HuskyCaucasian

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (bmags @ Oct 31, 2008 -> 02:36 PM)
You can get a pretty good idea of how a state feels about a candidate. I know missouri is tight from living here, so I trust heads when he says Iowa loves Obama.

Selzer has Obama up 54-37 in Iowa.

That's a 17 point lead. Either we really do like Obama, or Selzer just polled Iowa City.

An interesting side note of this election, Massachusetts will be voting on whether they will abolish state income tax.

http://www.usatoday.com/news/politics/elec...8-masstax_N.htm

also

voters in other states also will weigh in on taxes, according to the National Conference of State Legislatures:

• North Dakota has a ballot measure that would cut most state income tax rates in half and reduce corporate income tax rates by 15%.

• Maine will ask residents whether they want to reject recent legislation that requires insurers to pay a surcharge on some claims, raises taxes for large producers of malt liquor and wine and puts new taxes on soda.

• Oregon, which now allows up to $5,600 in federal income taxes to be deducted on state tax returns, has a measure to remove the cap.

• Arizona has an initiative that would prohibit new taxes on the sale or transfer of property.

Edited by mr_genius

Obama has now led in 111 straight national polls with methodologies we trust (looking back through the Pollster.com national trend), including the trackers back to Sept. 22-24 when a Gallup Tracking poll showed the race tied at 46%-46%. Since a Big Ten poll that showed McCain up 46%-45%, Obama has led in 117 of 119 polls.

LINK

Via Politico:

A final set of striking early voting numbers from the Miami Herald: 23% of the total electorate, 2.6 million people, has voted -- which is probably something closer to 30% of the expected turnout.

And:
The heavy early voting in Democrat-rich
S
outh Florida ha
s
given Democrat
s
a total lead over Republican
s
of more than 331,000 in early and ab
s
entee ballot
s
ca
s
t
s
tatewide.

That's a big margin for McCain to get back tomorrow.

UPDATE: He used the wrong numbers. "23% of the total electorate, 2.6 million people, has voted". Actually, the article says 2.6 million have already voted, that's 30% of the expected turnout. Based on those numbers, the expected turn out is 8,666,667. Far easier to overcome.

Edited by Athomeboy_2000

They were going over the early voting numbers by party last night. Democrats have by far and away voted early more then Republicans. I wonder how all that will play out.

Axelrod thinks they're "gravy" votes. I tend to disagree with that: but I do think it's a tremendous advantage nonetheless.

QUOTE (kapkomet @ Nov 3, 2008 -> 10:11 AM)
Axelrod thinks they're "gravy" votes. I tend to disagree with that: but I do think it's a tremendous advantage nonetheless.

I would disagree as well. BUT, something like 19% of all early voters are first time voters. (I think I read that somewhere). That's a staggering number. Those 19% could be considered "gravy" in the sense that Obama would probably win, by a very close margin, if only those who voted in 2004 voted. But with new voter turn out, it's a huge Obama advantage.

QUOTE (kapkomet @ Nov 3, 2008 -> 11:11 AM)
They were going over the early voting numbers by party last night. Democrats have by far and away voted early more then Republicans. I wonder how all that will play out.

I think he's using the term in the sense that he doesn't wanna rely on them. Say what you want about Obama's campaign, but in terms of GOTV effort, they are leaving nothing on the road this time around.

QUOTE (Rex Kicka** @ Nov 3, 2008 -> 10:18 AM)
I think he's using the term in the sense that he doesn't wanna rely on them. Say what you want about Obama's campaign, but in terms of GOTV effort, they are leaving nothing on the road this time around.

I agree. It also sounds like McCain's got a decent ground game, even compared to GWB, but it's nothing like Obama's.

QUOTE (kapkomet @ Nov 3, 2008 -> 12:16 PM)
Well, that's not what I saw last night. I do think that Obama's ground game has been tremendous, and will be the difference.

I'd say he has a good ground game by GOP 2000 standards. Bush set a new bar that McCain won't even come close to touching in 2004. Their 72 Hour Plan has not nearly been as well funded or thought out as Bush's was.

Obama is having volunteer phone bank a half million calls a day, the three days prior to the election. In many states, Obama apparatus is overlapping with DNC apparatus, which is overlapping with state party apparatus.

Kinda cool. In Philadelphia, Precinct Captains get "street money" to turn out the vote in the Democratic party. It's a patronage system and a tradition, and legal but shady.

In 2004, they got $400 per voting division. This year, they only got half that. Why? Obama refused to pay "street money." The money they got came from Philly and PA power brokers, not the Obama camp. Which is kind of a big deal in my mind. It's a rejection of machine politics that very few democrats are willing to do.

http://www.politico.com/blogs/bensmith/110...ly.html?showall