Crede

C_LEE45

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (C_LEE45 @ Apr 15, 2008 -> 04:07 PM)
KW and boras need to sit down and get crede locked up......as far as fields well i dont know trade him,let him play 1st then DH paulie, but one thing i dont want to see is crede somewhere else thats for sure!!!!!

I'm down with Crede getting signed, but it will wait till the off-season, I would assume.

If he's going to keep playing like a combination of Brooks Robinson and A-Rod like he is right now, we might want to keep Crede around. However, I think that for better or worse, this is an issue that will be taken care of after the season a la Paul Konerko in 2005.

Edited by whitesoxfan101

when Joe is in the midst of a hot streak, it seems that it is all too easy to forget on how long his droughts can be. I love Crede as much as the next Sox fan, but I still cannot dismiss the fact that we went against the Sox wishes in getting that surgury done much sooner. Like a year. But no, Crede listened to Boras...and tried to play through it, which in turn made him lose all of 2007.

I love the way Joe is playing, but again.... will the real Joe Crede please stand up? After all these years, I'm still not sure we know that we can rely on him day in and day out. Eric Chavez comes to mind, and look at that contract.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Apr 15, 2008 -> 03:09 PM)
All signs point to Crede slowing down. Even if it made sense for the Sox to sign him, now is not the time.

I don't know if "All signs" do. His performance between late 05, 2006, and 2008, when his back wasn't hurting, has been exemplary. Eventually, he has to slow down, but I haven't seen the sign that says that process has begun yet. Although, logically, it is going to happen and probably within a few years at the most.

I still cannot dismiss the fact that we went against the Sox wishes in getting that surgury done much sooner. Like a year. But no, Crede listened to Boras...and tried to play through it, which in turn made him lose all of 2007.

If he got the surgery when the Sox wanted him to, chances are he doesn't sign the 1 yr. contract for '08 and he's hitting grand slams and making dazzling plays for another team already.

QUOTE (the People's Champ @ Apr 15, 2008 -> 06:18 PM)
If he got the surgery when the Sox wanted him to, chances are he doesn't sign the 1 yr. contract for '08 and he's hitting grand slams and making dazzling plays for another team already.

No, he was under Sox control for 2008. At worst, it would have gone to arbitration.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Apr 15, 2008 -> 06:21 PM)
Honestly wondering, should I just stay out of this thread?

Nah...

QUOTE (C_LEE45 @ Apr 15, 2008 -> 10:07 PM)
KW and boras need to sit down and get crede locked up......as far as fields well i dont know trade him,let him play 1st then DH paulie, but one thing i dont want to see is crede somewhere else thats for sure!!!!!

I am behind that 100%. Don't trade away or let go to free agency one of our home grown stars. Joe is a proven talent.

QUOTE (the People's Champ @ Apr 15, 2008 -> 05:24 PM)
Don't forget...............you've been warned!

Don't worry, I wasn't meaning to start anything...I was just honestly asking if I should stay out. I attempt to remain civilized in all these arguments, but I also think it's a bit premature to be thinking about extending an offer to stay for 3-4 more years to Joe Crede 3 weeks into the season when he's still coming off back surgery. That's all.

QUOTE (the People's Champ @ Apr 15, 2008 -> 02:18 PM)

If he'd gotten the surgery when the Sox wanted him to, he'd probably have wound up playing in the latter part of the 2007 season at the latest, and he was still arbitration-eligible coming in to this season, so I see no reason why the Sox would have cut him lose. He might well have been traded, but he'd have been traded for a much better return than what we were offered in the spring.

QUOTE (Hawkfan @ Apr 15, 2008 -> 05:29 PM)
I'm a big "crede is sick" supporter, he also is the sole reason for our theme song in 05 i believe, and won't stop believing. post script. sweet chambers pic c lee

AJ and Rowand were getting hammered with him too though, and all 3 met Steve Perry after the game.

QUOTE (tonyho7476 @ Apr 15, 2008 -> 01:14 PM)
I'm down with Crede getting signed, but it will wait till the off-season, I would assume.

Yeah, and see if his back holds up over the course of a full season. If it does, I'd love for him to stick around for another 4-5 years. If they decide to let him walk and go with Fields, I would understand.

The other day while I was bored I was running scenarios through my head where we could end up keeping both Crede and Fields while giving them both ABs. Obviously this means a shift in our DH spot... which I think is possible in the next few years with Thome and Dye both not getting any younger. But in the end, I came to the conclusion that although I love both Crede and Fields... it is very unlikely both will end up being on our team after this season.

I guess the "most likely" scenario I came up with is probably:

Let Thome go after this season (I believe he has a buyout after this year). And start give Fields some time at First base down in AAA this season. That way Fields can DH and back up Crede and Konerko, giving him plenty of ABs. But that also leaves us with a very, very "right handed" batting order, which in my opinion isnt all that good... but isnt the end of the world either.

I dont know... in the end I think Crede is gone after this season (if we are out of the playoff picture by the trade deadline). I love Crede's glove and his bat (when he is hitting well), but like they all say baseball is a business and Fields will come at such a cheaper rate that I dont see the Sox signing Crede and trading Fields. But im no GM, so maybe I'm wrong. Either way, I like having the problem of having too many good players at a position.

Edited by southsidehawkeye

Ultimately, I think it will play out like this.

If the team's play dramatically regresses while Crede's outstanding offensive and defensive production does not, he will be moved at the deadline.

If the team's play remains at this level--a level that suggests the White Sox will be in the hunt for the AL Central division crown--and Crede preforms as he has in the past (when healthy), he will be kept for the final playoff push.

If he stays with the White Sox for the remainder of the 2008 season, the Sox will undoubtedly dust-off their old chestnut and claim Assistant GM Rick Hahn or someone else within the organization entered contract negotiations with Boras, but could not come to terms per usual--in this instance, terms such as "market correction" and "market value" will be used by Williams until he feels he has convinced both himself and the media.

In any event, I am a fan of Williams, Crede, and Fields. It's a good problem to have right now and if I were Williams, I would enjoy having it. Also, I think it would be rather wise to start working Fields at both the hot corner and 1B.

QUOTE (AddisonStSox @ Apr 15, 2008 -> 03:30 PM)
In any event, I am a fan of Williams, Crede, and Fields. It's a good problem to have right now and if I were Williams, I would enjoy having it. Also, I think it would be rather wise to start working Fields at both the hot corner and 1B.

If the worry with Fields is his defense, IMO it makes little sense to have Fields spending time working at any position right now other than 1b. If Crede resigns at some point, then you move him. By far the safest way to play it is to keep Fields at 3rd in the minors until either Crede is signed or until Josh takes over.

I absolutely understand the notion that Fields comes at a far cheaper price than Crede, in terms of salary. However, simply because Fields is a player that would be making near the league minimum for a few seasons prior to his arbitration years, and Crede would most-likely be an 8-figure salaried player, that does not mean Fields cannot be traded for a similar player at another position. It seems foolish to me that because we have two solid options at one position, we are somehow locked into letting the more expensive player walk or trading him for quarters on the dollar.

Why not explore scenarios whereby Fields could be traded for a similar player at a position of need, for instance second base, first base, perhaps right field, rather than assuming he has to become unblocked at third base with the trade or non-signing of Joe Crede?

QUOTE (iamshack @ Apr 15, 2008 -> 06:41 PM)
I absolutely understand the notion that Fields comes at a far cheaper price than Crede, in terms of salary. However, simply because Fields is a player that would be making near the league minimum for a few seasons prior to his arbitration years, and Crede would most-likely be an 8-figure salaried player, that does not mean Fields cannot be traded for a similar player at another position. It seems foolish to me that because we have two solid options at one position, we are somehow locked into letting the more expensive player walk or trading him for quarters on the dollar.

Why not explore scenarios whereby Fields could be traded for a similar player at a position of need, for instance second base, first base, perhaps right field, rather than assuming he has to become unblocked at third base with the trade or non-signing of Joe Crede?

They're not going to trade another propsect for another middle IF prospect, they already gave one up for Richar who they haven't really even done anything with yet besides let him get some raw ABs. And this team is loaded with OFs atm so there is no need to. First base... maybe. But if it really came down to that, teaching Fields to play 1B would be much easier and less risky than trading him for one.

If you're talking pitching that is a whole other story.

Edited by lostfan

QUOTE (iamshack @ Apr 15, 2008 -> 04:41 PM)

Well, the other side of that token is that you have to have a position available where you can get something for Fields. The ones you mention, 2nd base we have 2 young guys there, 1b we have 2 guys who can play there, we have 4 OF's right now not counting Dye. The only 2 spots I see where we might have an opening are catcher after AJ (Fields for Salty might work if the Rangers didn't have a 3rd baseman, which they do), and 5th starter if we're able to move Contreras, but that assumes no one from our system will develop enough to take that spot.