College Student Sections/Laker Nation

Alright, so as of this coming Tuesday (probably), I'm going to be the President of Laker Nation, the student fan organization here at Grand Valley State, and I need your guys' help.

GVSU has like 25 thousand students, our football and basketball teams kick ass, and now I'm in charge of taking our student section to the next level. I know we have a ton of college kids from around the country here so if you guys could share any of the events at your school or any perks of your student section or anything, it'd be much appreciated.

Back when I was at SIU and Bruce Weber had just taken over the program, he was more than happy to get involved in getting the Dawg Pound involved. I emailed him one day, and the next day someone from his office called me and we had Dawg pound shirts getting made which he gave to me to give out to our student section. He also supplied those long balloons for us to wave behind the basket, and at the end of the season he hooked the entire section up with free 3 day passes to the MVC tournament with a coupon book full of hotel coupons and restaraunt coupons in the STL area. I would try and get your coaches involved and see if they have any ideas.

We did alot of the normal crap(spirit fingers at free throws, turning our backs or reading the college newspaper during the other teams introductions) as well as a couple of unique cheers(some nice, some not so nice).

Basically the idea is to have a great time. If you have a group of people in a small area that really care for the team, it just starts to snowball. When I was going to games, it was free for students because the team really stunk and they couldnt get anyone in the door. Now you cant get in the dawgpound because it fills up QUICK.

Be loud, be obvious, have a good time. And drinking a few before the game never hurts ;)

At USD, we get drunk as s*** before the game. The game starts. Then halftime comes. That's when we leave to go start drinking some more. It's too awesome to actually make up.

I've been to something like 6 of our football games at school. I've stayed the entire time for 1 of them.

QUOTE (knightni @ Apr 20, 2008 -> 07:05 PM)
Find the craziest guy on campus, make him unofficial mascot, have him and a few of his friends implement your "spirit" ideas.

We got that down. We have this guy who calls himself "Psycho Fan" and he is absolutely nuts.

Should be common sense, but make sure ALL the students are sitting together. Here at OSU they split it up so that the students are placed in a variety of blocks throughout the stadium. Apparently it was because they were too rowdy, but it sucks nonetheless.

QUOTE (CubsSuck1 @ Apr 21, 2008 -> 12:09 AM)
Should be common sense, but make sure ALL the students are sitting together. Here at OSU they split it up so that the students are placed in a variety of blocks throughout the stadium. Apparently it was because they were too rowdy, but it sucks nonetheless.

Yeah, all our students sit together at all the sporting events. I don't understand why you'd split them up, but nonetheless, I suppose rowdiness is valid.

I'm working on the official website too. If you guys wanna check it out, it's http://sbxgfx.com/lakernation.html

It's a work in progress, but we're moving along slowly. Still trying to get some things sorted out.

Keep on with the suggestions. Any bit of help is appreciated.

QUOTE (Felix @ May 1, 2008 -> 08:09 AM)
You need a better name, _____ Nation is overplayed.

That's not happening. It's already too late to change it, as its a national RSO. Really the only other people that use it are the Lakers of the NBA, and even then it's not too hear of.