Annoying thought... Iguchi

Steve9347

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Apr 21, 2008 -> 11:02 AM)
How perfect would he be on this ballclub right now. Let him do more of the free swinging he did in Japan out of the 9 hole?

Seriously, he'd look damn good.

I wasn't saying trade for him... that ship has sailed. Maybe don't give him away at the end of 2007 and work out an extension.

QUOTE (nitetrain8601 @ Apr 21, 2008 -> 11:19 AM)
I wonder how much research was done when making this thread. Gooch isn't having such a great year.

Thome is hitting barely .200, is he done?

Seriously, Uribe, we can assume he won't get much better. Tadahito, on the other hand, has shown himself to be a quality hitter in the past.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Apr 21, 2008 -> 09:27 AM)
I wasn't saying trade for him... that ship has sailed. Maybe don't give him away at the end of 2007 and work out an extension.

So your time machine is in working order? Awesome. Can I borrow it next week? :lolhitting

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Apr 21, 2008 -> 10:28 AM)
Thome is hitting barely .200, is he done?

Seriously, Uribe, we can assume he won't get much better. Tadahito, on the other hand, has shown himself to be a quality hitter in the past.

Iguchi was also brutal in the field near the end of tenure with the White Sox and KW/Ozzie (like it or not) seem to really like Richar, re-signing Iguchi would only have blocked him.

QUOTE (WCSox @ Apr 21, 2008 -> 11:29 AM)
So your time machine is in working order? Awesome. Can I borrow it next week? :lolhitting

I said it was an annoying thought. I didn't say, "let's go back in time." Seriously, the snippy little remarks are just flying around Soxtalk these days, and you are definitely not helping things.

If I wanted a PMS board, I'd go to it, but let's just talk baseball here ok?

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Apr 21, 2008 -> 11:37 AM)
Iguchi was also brutal in the field near the end of tenure with the White Sox and KW/Ozzie (like it or not) seem to really like Richar, re-signing Iguchi would only have blocked him.

I f***ing love your avatar.

I'm not the biggest fan of Iguchi. I love him for what he did in 2005, but he's just a mediocre 2Bman. I'd say he'd be an option for the Sox to consider from July or so on if he's still playing pretty terribly for the Padres/whoever at that point, but I think you either need to get a big upgrade or see what the guys in house can do first.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Apr 21, 2008 -> 12:01 PM)
I'm not the biggest fan of Iguchi. I love him for what he did in 2005, but he's just a mediocre 2Bman. I'd say he'd be an option for the Sox to consider from July or so on if he's still playing pretty terribly for the Padres/whoever at that point, but I think you either need to get a big upgrade or see what the guys in house can do first.

Pretty much my thoughts. He's on the wrong side of 30, is not at all good in the field, and is slightly better than league average (and who knows now that's he's getting older if he even maintain that) with the bat.

He's mediocre. Richar is a better option and he's under our control for the foreseeable future at basically no cost.

God bless Tad for his contributions in 2005 but it's time to move on with new players.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Apr 21, 2008 -> 08:40 AM)
I said it was an annoying thought. I didn't say, "let's go back in time." Seriously, the snippy little remarks are just flying around Soxtalk these days, and you are definitely not helping things.

If I wanted a PMS board, I'd go to it, but let's just talk baseball here ok?

You need to relax, son. My comment was made in jest.

QUOTE (Tony82087 @ Apr 21, 2008 -> 09:22 AM)
Here is another thought. How big is the difference between Iguchi and Cabrera? Was it worth Garland? Right now the rotation looks good, but things can change quickly.

I was never a huge Garland fan, or Iguchi fan for that matter, but some food for thought.

Right now, Garland is 2-2 with a 4.81 ERA.

If Garland was still here, Danks would be in AAA because the Sox weren't going to release Floyd for nothing and because Contreras was still unmovable. Danks is 2-1 with a 3.04 ERA.

That deal still saved us what, about $3-4 million dollars, probably gets us an extra first round pick this year assuming Cabrera remains a type A FA, and replaced a guy with 1 year on his contract in the rotation with a younger guy we've got for years who is performing better.

Even if Danks had been putting up numbers worse than Garland, I'd have said the extra draft pick and money alone made the deal worth it.

I'd actually say that the difference between Iguchi and Cabrera is quite large. On top of what Balta mentioned, the defense has improved dramatically too. Even with Cabrera potentially being worse than Uribe defensively at SS, Uribe is an absolute monster defensively at 2B. You also have to imagine that it's Uribe and Iguchi up the middle right now...their combined OPS would be something like .520 right now, you'd have a downgrade defensively, and the entire pitching staff would be worse too.

I would say at this point, yes it's absolutely worth it.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Apr 21, 2008 -> 09:35 AM)
Right now, Garland is 2-2 with a 4.81 ERA.

If Garland was still here, Danks would be in AAA because the Sox weren't going to release Floyd for nothing and because Contreras was still unmovable. Danks is 2-1 with a 3.04 ERA.

That deal still saved us what, about $3-4 million dollars, probably gets us an extra first round pick this year assuming Cabrera remains a type A FA, and replaced a guy with 1 year on his contract in the rotation with a younger guy we've got for years who is performing better.

Even if Danks had been putting up numbers worse than Garland, I'd have said the extra draft pick and money alone made the deal worth it.

I think had Garland stayed the Sox would have tried to move Jose (problem is they would have had to eat cash and not gotten anything of value in return, hence why they ended up moving Jon Garland).

Cabrera makes the lineup much stroner and is a legitimate captain on the field. I love Jon, but the move was worth it, especially when you consider it is much more likely for Cabrera to garner type A compensation than Jon. Plus the reality is the Sox had a bigger hole at SS than they did in the rotation (although I'm still not ready to call our rotation amazing, but I've enjoyed what I've seen thus far, aside from Buehrle).

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Apr 21, 2008 -> 12:46 PM)
I'd actually say that the difference between Iguchi and Cabrera is quite large. On top of what Balta mentioned, the defense has improved dramatically too. Even with Cabrera potentially being worse than Uribe defensively at SS, Uribe is an absolute monster defensively at 2B. You also have to imagine that it's Uribe and Iguchi up the middle right now...their combined OPS would be something like .520 right now, you'd have a downgrade defensively, and the entire pitching staff would be worse too.

I would say at this point, yes it's absolutely worth it.

Funny things is, if Ozzie would man up and tell everyone he's doing what's in the best interests of the team than OCab would move to 2nd and Uribe would go back to SS, where you can actually tolerate a sub .700 OPS from a guy with a laser beam and good range.

QUOTE (chitownsportsfan @ Apr 21, 2008 -> 10:05 AM)
Funny things is, if Ozzie would man up and tell everyone he's doing what's in the best interests of the team than OCab would move to 2nd and Uribe would go back to SS, where you can actually tolerate a sub .700 OPS from a guy with a laser beam and good range.

Uribe's a bit better overall when he's on, but OC is far more consistent and still has the ability to make the great plays as well. Juan just has too many mental issues that tend to get in the way of his play.

At this point I'm happy sticking with Juan at 2B, although I'm not opposed to playing Ramirez a bit more there. Than once Richar comes back and if he shows he's healthy it should be his job to lose (unless Juan or Ramirez have truly earned it). That will happen around May 15-May 31st (since I'm not expecting Richar back for a bit longer).

Than come July, the Sox can evaluate the play of Richar and make a decision if he is the guy. If he isn't, they should consider upgrading since it is not typically expensive to find a good 2B or at least a league average one via the trading market. Ie, someone like Grudz on the Royals (if they have fallen out of contention why wouldn't they consider moving him for a couple guys that may not have spots in Chicago but could fit in nicely in KC).

Now if the top of the order is struggling at that time, than you must consider a more high impact move like Roberts.

I think had Garland stayed the Sox would have tried to move Jose (problem is they would have had to eat cash and not gotten anything of value in return, hence why they ended up moving Jon Garland).

You say that as if the Sox haven't tried moving Jose. I think if they could they would have gotten rid of him a long time ago whether we still had JG or not. Face it no other team wants to take a chance on Contreras, not with the pricetag he comes with.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Apr 21, 2008 -> 10:04 AM)
Cabrera makes the lineup much stroner and is a legitimate captain on the field. I love Jon, but the move was worth it, especially when you consider it is much more likely for Cabrera to garner type A compensation than Jon. Plus the reality is the Sox had a bigger hole at SS than they did in the rotation (although I'm still not ready to call our rotation amazing, but I've enjoyed what I've seen thus far, aside from Buehrle).

I thought it was a bad move, after Floyd and Contreras were overwhelmingly bad in '07, and Danks didn't look like a legitimate #3 or #4. I'll gladly take Juan at SS over below-average pitching in the #3 slot. But so far, Kenny looks like a genius. He must've had a ton of faith in Floyd and Danks.