SOXTALK'S TOP 50 FUNNIEST MOVIES

knightni

QUOTE (Texsox @ Apr 28, 2008 -> 11:24 PM)
I wish I had really thought about my list. I think I only submitted about 8 or 9 movies, and did not rank them. I would have added Back to School. I think it was Dangerfield's best.

That would be an interesting list, comedian and their best work

Belushi - Blues Brothers

Chase - Vacation

Martin - Dirty Rotten Scoundrels

Murray - What About Bob

Williams - RV

Pryor - Stir Crazy

Oooh, I like this. I'll have to dissent from you on most of them, however.

Belushi - Animal House

Chase - Vacation (barely beating out Fletch)

Martin - Man With Two Brains (narrowly beating out The Jerk)

Murray - The Life Aquatic )(a flawed gem, but he was great as Zissou)

Williams - Fisher King (narrowly beating out Good morning Viet Nam, and with an honorable mention to Toys, another flawed gem that I have a soft spot for)

Pryor - Stir Crazy

• Replies 265
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (FlaSoxxJim @ Apr 28, 2008 -> 11:17 PM)
Oooh, I like this. I'll have to dissent from you on most of them, however.

Belushi - Animal House

Chase - Vacation (barely beating out Fletch)

Martin - Man With Two Brains (narrowly beating out The Jerk)

Murray - The Life Aquatic )(a flawed gem, but he was great as Zissou)

Williams - Fisher King (narrowly beating out Good morning Viet Nam, and with an honorable mention to Toys, another flawed gem that I have a soft spot for)

Pryor - Stir Crazy

I felt Belushi had a better role in Blues Brothers. He really didn't have many scenes in Animal House and they were all basically the same. If this is which was the best movie they were in, I would say AH, if it is which movie they performed the best, I'd say Blues Brothers.

Martin, The Jerk came in second for me.

Williams had a few choices, perhaps because RV was the freshest in my mind, and I hyperventilated at the dump station scene.

I didn't get my votes in, so I have no rights to whine about anything, but here is how I see the films everybody chose (not that any of you care):

QUOTE (knightni @ Apr 25, 2008 -> 04:25 PM)
1. Animal House - Never got the crazy love for this film. I like it, but that is it.

2. Dumb and Dumber - Good flick, but Kingpin was the better film from them.

3. Monty Python and The Holy Grail - Plain and simple, the greatest comedy film ever made, though Fawlty Towers is the greatest comedy of all time.

4. Office Space - Top 10? Eh, not sure, but probably top 20.

4. Airplane - Yup, perfect choice here.

6. Blazing Saddles - Ditto.

7. Tommy Boy - Egads.

8. Caddyshack - Great flick. Another great choice.

9. Dr. Strangelove - Not a fave, but dang funny.

10. Anchorman - I keep falling alseep during it. One day I will finish.

11. The Blues Brothers - Funny, but too damn long.

12. The Big Lebowski - Nice Marmit

13. Old School - Has its moments, but that is about it.

14. Young Frankenstein - Love it more due to it's love of the source material.

15. Wedding Crashers - About the same as no. 13.

15. The Naked Gun - Should be Top 10.

17. Happy Gilmore - Adam Sandler does comedy? Huh, I thought he only did crap.

18. 40-year-old Virgin - Hugely overrated.

19. Swingers - Actually never seen it.

20. This Is Spinal Tap - Nice to see this down at 20. Overrated.

20. Planes, Trains, and Automobiles - I always saw this as more of a Drama with some funny bits. It's a brilliant movie though, whatever it is.

22. There's Something About Mary - Good placement for this.

23. Groundhog Day - A brilliant performance from Murray in a good movie. Good spot.

24. The Graduate - I'd go higher, but hey, it made it in.

24. Austin Powers - Ugh. The first is O.K., but the others...whoo doggy.

26. Meet The Parents - Might be a tad high on the list, but the first viewing was damn funny.

26. South Park Movie - Never seen it, never will.

28. Clerks - One of my wifes favorite movies. The whole film is carried by the video store guy.

28. The Princess Bride - Brilliant movie I would place higher, but am surprised to see here. Nice call!

30. Spaceballs - The beginning of the "terrible Mel Brooks" films, IMO.

30. Knocked Up - Good flick.

30. Ghostbusters - Love this one, I would place higher.

30. American Pie - The sequels and insane early love hurt it for me. I like it though.

34. Forrest Gump - Comedy?

35. Superbad - Have yet to see it, and a close friend tells me to take my time seeingit.

36. Harold and Kumar - Love it. This one benefits from good material with brilliant casting.

37. Borat - On my "to see" pile.

38. Vacation - Great movie.

39. Fletch - I like this one more just for the performances and characters than anything else. Just fun to watch.

40. Ace Ventura - Yeah, good placement.

41. BASEketball - Never seen it, probably never will. Just no interest. It's good though?

41. Kingpin - This would be in my top 10 for sure. "How do I look?"

43. Billy Madison - Again...Sandler makes "comedies"?

43. Ferris Bueller - Yeah, good placement. Kind of a Fletch type of thing. The material is good, but the performances carrry it.

43. Rushmore - Bill, he is the God Of Comedy in the last half century for sure.

46. Half Baked - Never seen it and would expect it would all go over my head like Cheech and Chong movies. I've never smoked, so pot humor doesn't work for me. But I liked Harold And Kumar???

47. It's a Mad Mad Mad Mad World - My wife loves it, we have it, I have watched it 5 times or so...and I still don't get it. I even love old comedies, but this one just misses me. WAY better than Rat Race though.

47. History of the World: Part I - Great stuff, would place a little higher.

49. Team America: World Police - Actually ashamed to say I have yet to see it.

50. Napoleon Dynamite - Wouldn't even crack my "Top 1,000" list.

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Apr 30, 2008 -> 08:36 AM)
Kid, every movie you either haven't seen, don't like or refuse to see are some of my favorites comedies. You suck. :)

LOL! But there are only a couple on there I haven't seen. Which ones of the "haven't seen" do you recommend? My problem with South Park is that the TV show bugs me, so I sure won't see the movie. But the others I just might give into.

Sandler flicks, well, I can't change that. If you're a Sandler fan, that's cool. I'm obviously in the minority when it comes to that guy.

QUOTE (Kid Gleason @ Apr 30, 2008 -> 10:37 AM)
LOL! But there are only a couple on there I haven't seen. Which ones of the "haven't seen" do you recommend? My problem with South Park is that the TV show bugs me, so I sure won't see the movie. But the others I just might give into.

Sandler flicks, well, I can't change that. If you're a Sandler fan, that's cool. I'm obviously in the minority when it comes to that guy.

You can manage my netflix queue anytime. :cheers

Anger Management was about the only film I could tolerate Sandler in. He is one of the few actors that I just will not watch anything he is in.

QUOTE (Texsox @ Apr 30, 2008 -> 09:47 AM)

Anger Management was about the only film I could tolerate Sandler in. He is one of the few actors that I just will not watch anything he is in.

Give me your password.

I've seen numerous Sandler films, and somehow I keep seeing more of them. I actually saw that Chuck And Larry crap last summer. It was part of a double bill at the drive-in, and I do like Kevin James, so I was hoping he would help counter-balance the Sandler factor. It helped, but the movie still sucked.

I haven't seen Anger Management, but I have to admit to not being a fan of Jack.

QUOTE (Kid Gleason @ Apr 30, 2008 -> 10:02 AM)
Give me your password.

I've seen numerous Sandler films, and somehow I keep seeing more of them. I actually saw that Chuck And Larry crap last summer. It was part of a double bill at the drive-in, and I do like Kevin James, so I was hoping he would help counter-balance the Sandler factor. It helped, but the movie still sucked.

I haven't seen Anger Management, but I have to admit to not being a fan of Jack.

I should also say that Jim Caray has also made my list, but that may be as much burn out as the characters he seems to play. It just isn't my style of comedy anymore. Anger Management is worth a rental.

I'm sure my wife has it in her queue for Netflix, so I am sure I will see it eventually. I'll look for it in there.

Jim Caray wore out his welcome for me when he started shooting for an Oscar. It just became painfully obvious that was what he was doing. Now, that being said, I did enjoy him in Series Of Unfortunate Events and though he was very good with voice work for Horton Hears A Who.

QUOTE (Texsox @ Apr 30, 2008 -> 10:47 AM)

Happy Gilmore owns all!!!!!

You can have the rest of Adam Sandler's collective work, and I'll keep Happy Gilmore, and we'll call it even.

:D

Ace Ventura (the first one only), The Mask, and Liar, Liar are pretty much Carrey's only "higher level" movies.

Lemony Snicket's: A Series Of Unfortunate Events was decent, Dumb and Dumber was okay in sections, Bruce Almighty was pretty good too.

Other than that... it's potluck.

Oh and Adam Sandler movies... Happy Gilmore is excellent, Billy Madison is solid, The Waterboy was decent, Little Nicky was passable.

Not a fan of the rest, mostly.

QUOTE (Kid Gleason @ Apr 30, 2008 -> 09:37 AM)

Well I love Happy Gilmore, Billy Madison, South Park, BASEketball, Team America and Napolean Dynamite. It's just a different kind of humor I guess.

If we open it up to more than just comedies for Sandler and Carrey, I would have to say Punch Drunk Love and Eternal Sunshine were excellent and they were excellent in it. Just as Will Ferrell (whether you like him or not) was great in Stranger than Fiction.

QUOTE (knightni @ Apr 30, 2008 -> 12:08 PM)
Oh and Adam Sandler movies... Happy Gilmore is excellent, Billy Madison is solid, The Waterboy was decent, Little Nicky was passable.

Not a fan of the rest, mostly.

Not a Wedding Singer Fan? I thought that film was very good and I thought Sandler was great in it.

QUOTE (CanOfCorn @ Apr 30, 2008 -> 06:27 PM)
If we open it up to more than just comedies for Sandler and Carrey, I would have to say Punch Drunk Love and Eternal Sunshine were excellent and they were excellent in it.

I also liked Sandler in Spanglish, but maybe that's just because anybody looks good basking in the radiant glow of Paz Vega.

:wub:

• 2 weeks later...