Would you throw out the First Pitch at Wrigley?

JoeBatterz

Sox Fan or Not?  

71 members have voted

1. 1. If given the chance, would you throw out the first pitch at Wrigley Field for a Cubs Game, if you were dressed in a mascot costume?

• Yes I would do it and be excited about it.
    • Yes, I would do it for work, but not tell any other Sox Fans.
    • I would refuse to do it, even wearing a costume for work.

Not sure if this is in the right spot, but I am sure someone will slap my hand if it is not.

Yesterday, at Wrigley Field, there was a promotion in which 6000 kids under 13 received a stuffed bear from Build-a-Bear in a Cubs outfit. As part of the promotion, the Build-a-Bear mascot (who knew they had such a thing) was invited onto the field and threw out the first pitch. BTW, the pitch was high and inside.

The person inside in the Build-a-Bear outfit had been up until that point a lifelong, die-hard White Sox fan. Had this been the end of the story, he would have remained as such. Instead, he sent out a group text to several fellow Sox fans, in which with giddy delight, he proudly told us what a great honor this was. After a few smart-ass text responses, a few of us spoke to him on the phone as he continued to try and defend his manhood and his status as a White Sox fan. Unless he can claim today to be under the influence of a dozen or so Old Styles, an White Sox fan intervention may be needed.

The question: Would a real White Sox fan dress up in a mascot costume for his work place, throw out the first pitch at Wrigley and then brag about it to his fellow White Sox fans about what an honor it is? Or would a real White Sox fan try his hardest to wiggle out of it and only do it as a last resort and the whole time, say Our Father's and Hail Marys that none of his fellow White Sox buddies find out?

whatever man, it's for work first of all, but secondly, it's throwing out a first pitch at a major league baseball game. I'd brag about it too. It's not like you were there to watch the game too or rooting for them to win or whatever else. who gives a s*** which teams are playing. my 2 cents. :)

QUOTE (jackie hayes @ May 18, 2008 -> 10:45 AM)
I'd do it for work, sure. But I wouldn't gloat about it.

Not sure why it's such an honor, but okay...

dude just being on a major league field is cool. when i was an extra in flags of our fathers and we shot in wrigley field it was just awesome. because the park at night under the lighting they had just looked beautiful (and that's a feat for wrigley). I'm just saying i think it'd be pretty cool to throw out a first pitch regardless.

QUOTE (Reddy @ May 18, 2008 -> 11:50 AM)
dude just being on a major league field is cool. when i was an extra in flags of our fathers and we shot in wrigley field it was just awesome. because the park at night under the lighting they had just looked beautiful (and that's a feat for wrigley). I'm just saying i think it'd be pretty cool to throw out a first pitch regardless.

I don't disagree with that, but "pretty cool" != "an honor". It may be a neat thing to do, but I wouldn't feel like I was paid a compliment, that's all I'm saying.

QUOTE (jackie hayes @ May 18, 2008 -> 11:23 AM)
I don't disagree with that, but "pretty cool" != "an honor". It may be a neat thing to do, but I wouldn't feel like I was paid a compliment, that's all I'm saying.

gotcha. yeah i wouldn't refer to it as "an honor" i guess either - so we're on the same page there.

I do not know if I am old school or if I set higher standards for myself or if others just have a lower threshold for crossing on to the other side. And by no means am I disparaging anybody. We all make our own choices.

However, it seems to me, that if you root for one team, you would not cross to the side of your arch rival, even if you were tempted with going on the field to throw out the first pitch.

Don't get me wrong, I would gladly throw out the first pitch at 28 other ballparks, in addition to at The Cell. However, if I had to do it Wrigley for work, I certainly would do it under duress and I would not act like it was the bees knees. In fact, I would rather pass on the opportunity, even if it would be the only chance I would get to go on a MLB field. Maybe going on the field does not hold a lot of weight for me, maybe I consider it part of my "fan values" to decline the offer, or maybe I am just stubborn.

Can anybody imagine a Michigan fan, going to a Ohio State game and going onto the field to dot the I? What about a Bears fan getting to do the coin flip at Lambeau Field for a Packers-Lions game? What about a Notre Dame fan riding on the USC Noble white horse for a Trojan game against say ASU? All cool opportunities.

Are they tempting enough for you to suspend your allegiance for a moment?:whichway

What is the sense of having rivalries if the first time you get offered a "cool opportunity" by the other team, you decide to take it and then justify it by saying that you still are rooting for your team. I guess I am an all or nothing guy. If I am with my team, I can not be tempted by a cool life experience and then feel like I can come back to my team. It's like having an affair. Although, given the divorce rate in this country, probably not a good analogy.

Anyways, it was good to see the feedback and voting results. Even if we disagree, always good to see other Sox fan's take on the issue. I clearly underestimated the support for my view point.

Of course, you don't have to be a Cubs fan to throw out the first pitch and I doubt that every person who has thrown out the first pitch is a Cubs fan.

Ditto if it was someone throwing out a pitch at a Sox game.

QUOTE (JoeBatterz @ May 18, 2008 -> 10:23 PM)
What is the sense of having rivalries if the first time you get offered a "cool opportunity" by the other team, you decide to take it and then justify it by saying that you still are rooting for your team. I guess I am an all or nothing guy. If I am with my team, I can not be tempted by a cool life experience and then feel like I can come back to my team. It's like having an affair. Although, given the divorce rate in this country, probably not a good analogy.

because we're NOT rooting for that team... and that's what it's all about. And it's not a 'cool opportunity' offered by the team - it's part of your JOB. here's an example:

i'm an actor, imagine for a second i become famous. the cubs call my agent and sign me up to sing the national anthem or throw out a pitch - whatever. I'm supposed to go to my agent and tell him to refuse the offer just because I'm a sox fan? (granted with my outspoken sox-love i doubt they'd come knocking) but even better, say i'm not YET famous but working my way up. They ask me to sing the anthem. great chance for more exposure but just because i'm a sox fan i'm supposed to give up that great opportunity to be seen/heard by 40,000 people? Not on your life.

not the same as a guy in a bear suit... but come on, you'd risk your job because of your fan-hood? i'm just saying that being a die hard sox fan doesn't mean that you should screw yourself over in a situation like this.

QUOTE (Reddy @ May 18, 2008 -> 11:12 PM)
because we're NOT rooting for that team... and that's what it's all about. And it's not a 'cool opportunity' offered by the team - it's part of your JOB. here's an example:

i'm an actor, imagine for a second i become famous. the cubs call my agent and sign me up to sing the national anthem or throw out a pitch - whatever. I'm supposed to go to my agent and tell him to refuse the offer just because I'm a sox fan? (granted with my outspoken sox-love i doubt they'd come knocking) but even better, say i'm not YET famous but working my way up. They ask me to sing the anthem. great chance for more exposure but just because i'm a sox fan i'm supposed to give up that great opportunity to be seen/heard by 40,000 people? Not on your life.

not the same as a guy in a bear suit... but come on, you'd risk your job because of your fan-hood? i'm just saying that being a die hard sox fan doesn't mean that you should screw yourself over in a situation like this.

See, if I'm actually an actor or up and coming actor, I turn down the chance because I'm a White Sox fan and have my agent contact them so we can go with the story that I turned down Wrigley for The Cell. Some positive press for the club.

If I'm just a dude in a mascot suit, I'd do it for s***s and giggles, but wear a Sox jersey underneath. If I'm dude in a mascot suit who doesn't care about his job, I wear a Sox hat under the mascot head, and flip the head off after the pitch. That'd be a sweet way to quit a job.

So, I think this is situational.

Edited by ROC Sox Fan

QUOTE (JoeBatterz @ May 18, 2008 -> 09:23 PM)
I do not know if I am old school or if I set higher standards for myself or if others just have a lower threshold for crossing on to the other side. And by no means am I disparaging anybody. We all make our own choices.

However, it seems to me, that if you root for one team, you would not cross to the side of your arch rival, even if you were tempted with going on the field to throw out the first pitch.

Don't get me wrong, I would gladly throw out the first pitch at 28 other ballparks, in addition to at The Cell. However, if I had to do it Wrigley for work, I certainly would do it under duress and I would not act like it was the bees knees. In fact, I would rather pass on the opportunity, even if it would be the only chance I would get to go on a MLB field. Maybe going on the field does not hold a lot of weight for me, maybe I consider it part of my "fan values" to decline the offer, or maybe I am just stubborn.

Can anybody imagine a Michigan fan, going to a Ohio State game and going onto the field to dot the I? What about a Bears fan getting to do the coin flip at Lambeau Field for a Packers-Lions game? What about a Notre Dame fan riding on the USC Noble white horse for a Trojan game against say ASU? All cool opportunities.

Are they tempting enough for you to suspend your allegiance for a moment?:whichway

Anyways, it was good to see the feedback and voting results. Even if we disagree, always good to see other Sox fan's take on the issue. I clearly underestimated the support for my view point.

Couldn't have said it better myself! Never!!!!!!!!!!!!

There's a 5K in Wrigleyville and part of the course runs through the park. While it's a "cool" oppurtunity to run on a storied ball park, I would never do it, and I wouldn't do this. JoeBatterz said it perfectly.

If you forget about the Cubs and stop and think about the history, the players that have performed on that field, how can you not want the opportunity to step on the same ground that, for example right field, Babe Ruth, Roberto Clemente, Stan Musial, etc. played on. It would be an honor to step on that field and walk in the same footsteps as the all time greats.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ May 19, 2008 -> 08:23 AM)
I'd do it and figure out a way to get a piece of Sox memorablia involved.

I'd go neutral. I wouldn't honor the Cubs, but I wouldn't dishonor the game and greats by pulling in the bickering between fans of the two Chicago teams. I thought about having a Sox hat in my back pocket to put on at the right moment, or something similar. But the game is worthy of more respect in my humble opinion.

QUOTE (JoeBatterz @ May 18, 2008 -> 10:23 PM)
Don't get me wrong, I would gladly throw out the first pitch at 28 other ballparks, in addition to at The Cell.

So basically, you hate the Cubs more than you hate the Indians, Tigers, Royals, and Twins, all of whom are much more important in the baseball world for the Sox considering the Sox play them a hell of a lot more often than the Cubs and they are all in the same division as the Sox.

That, sir, makes no sense whatsoever.