TalkChicagoSports.com's Top 40 Greatest Chicago Sports Players

There is no 1-100 scale of greatness. There's no way of saying one player in one sport is greater than a different player in a different sport because after all, they're different sports which require different talents. Because of this, a list of the greatest players is an opinion, which is why there are so many differences in lists. If it weren't an opinion, there'd be no reason to make such a list, since everyone would be on the same page.

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ May 27, 2008 -> 10:11 AM)
He should never have been near a top 20 list for Chicago athletes. He was better when he played for Detroit, and was never dominant at anything other than fighting.

In the top 100 list of Chicago athletes, Bob Probert would not make the cut. OMG! HE FOUGHT TIE DOMI THERE'S BLOOD!

Sorry, I am just truly truly offended that Bob Probert of all players made your top 20 list. My lord, how you could rank him over Denis Savard? (sticking with hockey) That's truly absurd. Bob Probert in your top 20 may be the worst decision you've made in your life.

To put it in perspective, if I had to choose between invading Iraq all over again or putting Bob Probert on my top 20 list of Chicago athletes, I'd have our country starting this war all over.

That last part was a joke, but I think you get the point.

That's pretty cool that I was able to offend you by listing some players on a message board....First off the list isn't top chicago athletes, Second, I know he was better when he was with Detroit, but that has nothing to do with the list...it's not just Chicago players...it's players that have passed through Chicago. Didn't you read that when you turned in your list? You did turn one in didn't you? Probert was a dominating force throughout his hockey career at his role. If you were a hockey fan back in the day...you knew who he was, pretty much worldwide. And if I want to give a guy like that credit at #20 on MY list...I will. Savard was a much better all around hockey player....I would never argue that, but Probert dominated the job he was assigned and was one of the toughest guys to ever put on the skates.

QUOTE (Felix @ May 27, 2008 -> 12:31 PM)

There is no 1-100 scale of greatness. There's no way of saying one player in one sport is greater than a different player in a different sport because after all, they're different sports which require different talents. Because of this, a list of the greatest players is an opinion, which is why there are so many differences in lists. If it weren't an opinion, there'd be no reason to make such a list, since everyone would be on the same page.

are you making the same argument if Jordan and Payton were left out?

QUOTE (rangercal @ May 27, 2008 -> 10:36 AM)
are you making the same argument if Jordan and Payton were left out?

I certainly wouldn't agree with whoever left them out, just like I don't agree that Thomas or Pippen were left out, but people are entitled to their own opinion.

Hell, if you ask me, I find it absolutely ridiculous that the best pitcher of this generation was only on a third on the lists (Greg Maddux) and only 17th on this list. But people can have whatever opinion they want, and just because some people have different opinions than myself doesn't mean I'm going to stop participating in these lists.

This list would have been totally boring to me if the final list matched mine 100%. It was interesting to see how people differed. On the last list, I had left Clerks off because I never saw it, based on SS recommendation I rented it and really enjoyed it. On this list I saw a couple athletes I had not thought if in a long time, that was pretty cool as well.

QUOTE (SoxFan101 @ May 27, 2008 -> 11:07 AM)
Would I be crazy in saying Sammy Sosa probably deserves to be in the top18 based off his career in Chicago, he has fallen off greatly with fans now but during his day he was damn good, 600 HR's.

If Sammy Sosa had done so cleanly, then he'd probably be well within the top 10.

Some of the issue is also the balance. With four major sports that would leave about 5 from each sport on your list. So instead of thinking top 20, think the top 2-3 Cubs and 2-3 Sox or else the other sports drop. So all of a sudden Banks, for example being left off, becomes a little easier to understand. I don't agree, but could see a list where Banks was the sixth best baseball player in Chicago.

QUOTE (SoxFan101 @ May 27, 2008 -> 12:07 PM)
Would I be crazy in saying Sammy Sosa probably deserves to be in the top18 based off his career in Chicago, he has fallen off greatly with fans now but during his day he was damn good, 600 HR's.

He was on my list, 13th in fact.

Edited by Felix

I was the one who left off Banks. I didnt even really think about him. I actually didnt want to put any Cubs that I havent seen play and Maddux completely slipped my mind. I also have never watched hockey so I had no Blackhawks. I thought about adding some guys but wouldnt know where to rank them since Ive never seen them.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ May 27, 2008 -> 10:38 PM)
I am completely and utterly offended that Carlos Quentin was not #1 on anyone's list.

Theres no way he was higher than Devin Hester. Once he gets the experience Hester has he might be on there.

QUOTE (Controlled Chaos @ May 27, 2008 -> 11:33 AM)
That's pretty cool that I was able to offend you by listing some players on a message board....First off the list isn't top chicago athletes, Second, I know he was better when he was with Detroit, but that has nothing to do with the list...it's not just Chicago players...it's players that have passed through Chicago. Didn't you read that when you turned in your list? You did turn one in didn't you? Probert was a dominating force throughout his hockey career at his role. If you were a hockey fan back in the day...you knew who he was, pretty much worldwide. And if I want to give a guy like that credit at #20 on MY list...I will. Savard was a much better all around hockey player....I would never argue that, but Probert dominated the job he was assigned and was one of the toughest guys to ever put on the skates.

I did watch hockey back in the day. I watched a lot of Probert. He hurt his team more then helped it and only stayed on the Hawks as long as he did because the Wirtz's took him under their wing during the whole rehabilitation that didn't stick. I just think putting him on the list makes a mockery of it.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ May 28, 2008 -> 09:37 AM)
I did watch hockey back in the day. I watched a lot of Probert. He hurt his team more then helped it and only stayed on the Hawks as long as he did because the Wirtz's took him under their wing during the whole rehabilitation that didn't stick. I just think putting him on the list makes a mockery of it.

I kinda felt the same way when i saw Devin Hester on some people's lists

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ May 28, 2008 -> 08:37 AM)

How long he was on the Hawks or what he did on the Hawks means nothing. Maybe you didn't see the rules or maybe you don't care what they were since you didn't send in a list. The bottom line your team needed enforcers back then and he was one of the very best at his job. Enforcers didn't receive many accolades for their role....kinda like O lineman...so I gave him some props. Can I have found 30 or so different people to put in that 20th spot....yeah...but I wanted to give some credit to someone who most people would overlook. He was one of the all time greats, at his job, regardless of what you think of him...that alone is justification for him making my list. Oh and once again...It's an OPINION list...

QUOTE (Texsox @ May 28, 2008 -> 03:55 PM)
Decent thought on Probert. And well argued. I disagree but admit I would have added him to my Top 10 list of embarassing Chicago athletes.

He'd probably be on mine as well. He was a terrible character guy and to be honest, I'm not even a big fan, but he was dominant at his role and he was tough as hell.

QUOTE (Controlled Chaos @ May 28, 2008 -> 03:12 PM)
He'd probably be on mine as well. He was a terrible character guy and to be honest, I'm not even a big fan, but he was dominant at his role and he was tough as hell.

He was tough as hell. It's too bad hockey has a role for a guy who was basically a brawler on skates. He was arguably the toughest, meanest, sob to ever don a Chicago jersey in any sport. But how many DUIs did he rack up? IIRC he once blew a .31 while on his motorcycle and when asked how he could stand, he replied, it must have been all the coke. How we took him in is beyond me.