**White Sox vs. Angels Game Thread! 5/24/08**

Brian

QUOTE (Heads22 @ May 24, 2008 -> 01:48 PM)
I don't see how anyone can defend Greg Walker.

In the case of the vets it isn't his fault at all and he's actually done solid things with the Sox younger hitters. I'm not saying I'd have a problem if he's ousted, solely because its easier to fire the coach than the entire team and such move may wake the struggling vets up.

Bottom line though, it really isn't Walkers fault, but that doesn't mean it wouldn't be a bad idea to fire him and see if a new voice helps.

• Replies 230
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Heads22 @ May 24, 2008 -> 03:48 PM)

Me either. I've wanted him gone since the second half of 2006. Fire him already Kenny. Our pitching is outstanding, we should be up 7 games up by now.

QUOTE (Heads22 @ May 24, 2008 -> 05:48 PM)

me neither, there is really absolutely no excuse...we have been such a poor, poor team in terms of batting average for 2 entire years now....its indefensible

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ May 24, 2008 -> 04:49 PM)
In the case of the vets it isn't his fault at all and he's actually done solid things with the Sox younger hitters. I'm not saying I'd have a problem if he's ousted, solely because its easier to fire the coach than the entire team and such move may wake the struggling vets up.

Bottom line though, it really isn't Walkers fault, but that doesn't mean it wouldn't be a bad idea to fire him and see if a new voice helps.

If he's worth anything at all, he should be able to help them.

when we first got masset and danks i remember farmer saying someone in the texas organization told him Masset had the best pick off move for texas...farmer said, dont you mean danks, and the guy said no masset....

and farmer just retold the story as im typing it

Edited by daa84

QUOTE (daa84 @ May 24, 2008 -> 02:53 PM)
when we first got masset and danks i remember farmer saying someone in the texas organization told him Masset had the best pick off move for texas...farmer said, dont you mean danks, and the guy said no masset....

and farmer just retold the story as im typing it

That is a pretty good move for a RHP so young. Hard to teach that.

QUOTE (Heads22 @ May 24, 2008 -> 04:57 PM)
Nice hammer.

ive been really impressed with nicks stuff this year...his stuff reminds me alot of gavins, as he can throw a fastball with good movement (even mixes in a cutter), a good curve and a decent slider....doenst have the change up gavin does...but masset looks like a prototypical cooper project to me...more strikes, more movement, less velo

QUOTE (Heads22 @ May 24, 2008 -> 02:51 PM)
If he's worth anything at all, he should be able to help them.

I don't think people quite grasp how little veteran hitters truly use the batting coach. I was listening to Chipper Jones the other day and he was saying that he'll have the hitting coach help him with video but when it comes down to it, he goes to his dad whenever his swing is in trouble.

Walker is widely respected around baseball. I remember the last guy the Sox ran out of town as a hitting coach ended up fitting in quite nicely in Boston. The only reason I can really condone the firing of Walker is because it might just send a message to the vets to wake the f*** up. However, this season there is built in excuse for Paulie (a hurt hand is going to f*** your bat speed up and much much more) so really its Swisher/Thome that you can look at.

Swisher got all screwed up from being at the top spot in the lineup and needs to come out of his funk. He hasn't shown much lately but I'll give Walker some time to really figure out Swish and for the two of them to work. In Thome's case, I really don't think it has anythign to do with Walk and much more to do with Thome just not being the same player he once was (slower bat speed makes him cheat and makes him even more suscepitble to the strikeout).

OC is all f'd up but he's actually showing signs of coming out. Walker probably did little the first few weeks with him (usually vets try to figure out things on there own initially in a slump and after that I'm guessing Walk got more involved). Juan Uribe is just bad offensively so whether its Walker or Jesus Christ himself it wouldn't matter.

Bottom line, instead of blaming the easy person people start blaming the guys putting on the uni's and making the outs. I've long said it could pay off to get more young blood in the lineup. Quentin has helped and maybe we'll see a little bit more of an infusion once Kenny/Ozzie finally realize that Thome is past his prime and that Uribe is just god awful (the Sox do need to find alternatives though so they can replace such players).

QUOTE (RME JICO @ May 24, 2008 -> 02:54 PM)
That is a pretty good move for a RHP so young. Hard to teach that.

That move was awesome. Masset is starting to come around. Still needs better command but long term I'm really happy the Sox held onto him instead of letting him go at the end of spring.

Hmmm, interesting stat. The Sox have actually scored the 2nd most runs in the AL Central in May. The #1 offense in the Central right now, by far? Minnesota. Both the Sox and Detroit are at 84, Cleveland is at a league worst 69 runs this month.