Dunkin Donuts - Ad is Too Arab-ish

HuskyCaucasian

QUOTE (Alpha Dog @ May 28, 2008 -> 03:28 PM)
I wonder if the hijab will be the next fashion trend co-opted by the west. Hey, it's just a robe.

Although this statement is a stretch to put it mildly, what if it is? Does it mean the people who wear it - as a fashion trend - support Islamic terrorism simply because it's worn by most Muslim women? I'd like to think not.

Edited by lostfan

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Alpha Dog @ May 28, 2008 -> 03:28 PM)
I wonder if the hijab will be the next fashion trend co-opted by the west. Hey, it's just a robe.

Technically, I don't think hijab isn't any one type of covering, like a burqa, khurmur, or a jibab. As i understand it, it is a broader reference to Islam's directive for personal modesty or privacy.

QUOTE (lostfan @ May 28, 2008 -> 01:36 PM)
Although this statement is a stretch to put it mildly, what if it is? Does it mean the people who wear it - as a fashion trend - support Islamic terrorism simply because it's worn by most Muslim women? I'd like to think not.

How about replica Nazi army jackets? I remember a time in my youth that American army jackets were cool to wear, I guess it could happen.

Just as an aside, I found this funny when I was looking at some info on the keffiyeh:

This symbol of Palestinian identity is now largely imported from China, in 2008 Yasser Hirbawi who for five decades had been the only Palestinian manufacturer of keffiyehs told Reuters that "Two years ago I had to close down my factory because I couldn't compete with Chinese-made Hattas (keffiyehs) that sell for 40 percent less."

QUOTE (FlaSoxxJim @ May 28, 2008 -> 03:42 PM)
Technically, I don't think hijab isn't any one type of covering, like a burqa, khurmur, or a jibab. As i understand it, it is a broader reference to Islam's directive for personal modesty or privacy.

Actually I was told that a hijab is the thing that covers a woman's hair.

QUOTE (Alpha Dog @ May 28, 2008 -> 03:43 PM)
How about replica Nazi army jackets? I remember a time in my youth that American army jackets were cool to wear, I guess it could happen.

Honestly, are you comparing Muslim women to Nazis? Why?

QUOTE (lostfan @ May 28, 2008 -> 03:44 PM)
Actually I was told that a hijab is the thing that covers a woman's hair.

Which is my basic understanding as well – that it has come to refer to the head-dress and not a robe as Alpha suggested. The term isn't used to describe any single item of clothing in the Quran though.

QUOTE (FlaSoxxJim @ May 28, 2008 -> 02:49 PM)
Which is my basic understanding as well – that it has come to refer to the head-dress and not a robe as Alpha suggested. The term isn't used to describe any single item of clothing in the Quran though.

What you said is probably correct as well.

QUOTE (lostfan @ May 28, 2008 -> 03:50 PM)
What you said is probably correct as well.

I don't know I guess. But whatever a given robe or head-dress is called, I just don't see eye to eye on Alpha trying to deride it. It is just a robe, or just a scarf or whatever. Lots of the muslim scarfs and head-dresses look a lot like the habits the Catholic nuns wore back when they were sending me to the principal's office.

QUOTE (lostfan @ May 28, 2008 -> 02:45 PM)
Honestly, are you comparing Muslim women to Nazis? Why?

Look, to start, I in no way think that Dunkin Donuts or Rachael Ray is endorsing the PLO or anything along those lines by wearing the scarf. She wore what some designer told her to wear. That person, however, may have had some agenda in her choice for the scarf. We don't know that, because they declined to say who it was or where they got it from. You guys keep saysing 'it's just a scarf'. I get that. What I am trying to get you to realize is that it may just be a scarf to you, but to someone else, it is a symbol of Palastinian sympathies, or worse. I am just trying to find SOMETHING fashion wise that can bring that point across, since you guys keep reiterating that it is just a scarf. Yes, I know that, but it is a scarf that has meaning outside our PC walls of America. Hey, maybe it is a shrewd marketing move, if DD plans on opening up a few branches in the middle east. I am not sure the ad would play as well in Israel, though. I am not boycotting Dunkin Donuts for this (I am, however, staying away for the sake of my waisteline), and it doesn't reach anywhere near that high on my disgust scale. But it isn't as meaningless as some may ant it to be.

QUOTE (Mplssoxfan @ May 28, 2008 -> 02:46 PM)
That is funny. How soon will a "Buy Palestinian" campaign start?

You know, it is sad that Palastinians can be undersold by the Chinese. Maybe they can blame their unions?

Honestly,

I think that most people wearing that scarf in the manner that Rachael Ray was wearing it seems to be somewhat disrespectful to the customs of the people to begin with. So I don't think wearing what is a traditional headdress in a nontraditional manner is honoring anything.

QUOTE (Alpha Dog @ May 28, 2008 -> 03:03 PM)
Look, to start, I in no way think that Dunkin Donuts or Rachael Ray is endorsing the PLO or anything along those lines by wearing the scarf. She wore what some designer told her to wear. That person, however, may have had some agenda in her choice for the scarf. We don't know that, because they declined to say who it was or where they got it from. You guys keep saysing 'it's just a scarf'. I get that. What I am trying to get you to realize is that it may just be a scarf to you, but to someone else, it is a symbol of Palastinian sympathies, or worse. I am just trying to find SOMETHING fashion wise that can bring that point across, since you guys keep reiterating that it is just a scarf. Yes, I know that, but it is a scarf that has meaning outside our PC walls of America. Hey, maybe it is a shrewd marketing move, if DD plans on opening up a few branches in the middle east. I am not sure the ad would play as well in Israel, though. I am not boycotting Dunkin Donuts for this (I am, however, staying away for the sake of my waisteline), and it doesn't reach anywhere near that high on my disgust scale. But it isn't as meaningless as some may ant it to be.

It's not easy to come up with an analogy to get your point across, fair enough.

I just don't see what the big deal is, at the same time I don't blame DD for not wanting to take on that unnecessary risk. Right now a certain segment of Americans are scared of anything having to do with Arabs and/or Muslims (not necessarily one in the same). To a certain degree, that's understandable considering what we've got on our plate right now, but not to the degree some people are freaking out about. People have to learn to not generalize so much.

I've completely gone off on a tangent though.

QUOTE (Alpha Dog @ May 28, 2008 -> 12:05 PM)
You know, it is sad that Palastinians can be undersold by the Chinese. Maybe they can blame their unions?

Their problem is shipping. Israel makes it very difficult to move supplies, raw materials, and products between their territory and the sea or airports. About the only things that seem to get in are, well, weapons.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ May 28, 2008 -> 03:39 PM)
Their problem is shipping. Israel makes it very difficult to move supplies, raw materials, and products between their territory and the sea or airports. About the only things that seem to get in are, well, weapons.

Then again if they weren't working so hard to get weapons in, the rest of the stuff would be a lot easier.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ May 28, 2008 -> 07:45 PM)
Then again if they weren't working so hard to get weapons in, the rest of the stuff would be a lot easier.

Israel or the Palestinians? Basically Israel's entire economy is based off defense and their military-industrial complex. We kind of give them a free pass on some things though because we're on good terms with them.

QUOTE (Athomeboy_2000 @ May 29, 2008 -> 11:05 AM)

thread timeline:

post article from Huffington Post saying "conservatives" want ad removed because scarf looks arab

people respond in disagreement

post link from a website called crooks and liars showing McCains daughter wearing similar scarf and calling her a terrorist sympathizer

wait for anyone to say anything negative about Obama, especially anything mentioning terrorism, to discredit source...

Excellent

QUOTE (DrunkBomber @ May 29, 2008 -> 11:50 AM)
thread timeline:

post article from Huffington Post saying "conservatives" want ad removed because scarf looks arab

The story is all over several websites including the Chicago Tribune.

QUOTE (DrunkBomber @ May 29, 2008 -> 12:50 PM)
post link from a website called crooks and liars showing McCains daughter wearing similar scarf and calling her a terrorist sympathizer

I just want to make it clear that it is supposed to be satirical. The point being this whole argument is stupid.

QUOTE (DrunkBomber @ May 29, 2008 -> 12:50 PM)
thread timeline:

Well, it is true!

Edited by Athomeboy_2000

QUOTE (Athomeboy_2000 @ May 29, 2008 -> 11:55 AM)
I just want to make it clear that it is supposed to be satirical. The point being this whole argument is stupid.

Well, it is true!

Anytime anyone posts anything from Fox News youre the first one to chime in about the slant they put on things. Then you use the Huffington Post which does the same thing. Its kind of hypocritical.