Sox need another bat

VAfan

QUOTE (29andPoplar @ Jun 2, 2008 -> 04:37 PM)
I believe you should read more and start threads less. As others have said and has been posted on this site mulitple times in the past few days, Fields is hurting, has been out of the lineup for 4-5 games in a row, is hitting a less than robust .246 in AAA and is striking out a ton. How are those Nationals doing?

LOL, was it the hat backwards that got to you?

QUOTE (VAfan @ Jun 2, 2008 -> 03:51 PM)
Taking those three posts together, I believe we should:

1. Put Konerko on the DL.

2. Bring up Josh Fields, assuming he can actually play, and play him somewhere almost every day.

3. Play Brian Anderson nearly every day too.

4. Play either Nick Swisher or Jim Thome, but not both, until they prove they can hit again (i.e., get their averages above .240)

5. Replace Greg Walker as hitting coach.

6. Look for a bat in the trade market.

:notworthy

QUOTE (southsideirish71 @ Jun 1, 2008 -> 05:55 AM)
Changeups and breaking pitches are this teams downfall.

It really makes me think.....that has been the downfall for years now, even with this years revamped lineup....was thome a bad changeup hitter before he came here? I don't want to beat a dead horse but maybe the hitting coach has something to do with that??? You'd think after all these years there had to be some practice on hitting the changeup.....or do they just say f*** it and say we'll just go with what were good at and sit on fastballs....

QUOTE (29andPoplar @ Jun 2, 2008 -> 07:55 PM)
No, the constant starting of threads without first reading all the other ones on similar topics. Plus the huge drama announcement about becoming a Nationals fan because Buehrle was getting traded. :lolhitting

when was buehrle getting traded to the nationals? The nationals?

QUOTE (TCQ @ Jun 3, 2008 -> 06:30 AM)
What did you guys think about the Tribune talking about maybe bringing Eldred up, mediocre average but the powers there. :gosox3:

He won't be any different than Jim Thome. Sure he'd cost a bit less, but long-term, I'm sure Thome would do far far better this season.

QUOTE (29andPoplar @ Jun 2, 2008 -> 08:55 PM)
No, the constant starting of threads without first reading all the other ones on similar topics. Plus the huge drama announcement about becoming a Nationals fan because Buehrle was getting traded. :lolhitting

I'm member # 932 on this site, and have been a Sox fan since 1970. When did you come along?

None of my threads has been a duplicate of anything on the lead page at the time I have posted it.

If Fields is hurt and can't play, then obviously you can't bring him up. But if he's just hitting poorly in the minors, I would still bring him up to give us an offensive option over Konerko, Thome, and Swisher. He proved he could hit major league pitching last year, so I would give him the chance to do it again. If our scouts think Brad Eldred is a better option at this point, fine. Because other than Brian Anderson, we have no one on the bench that Ozzie can use.

Do you have a better solution?

I'm member # 932 on this site, and have been a Sox fan since 1970. When did you come along?

None of my threads has been a duplicate of anything on the lead page at the time I have posted it.

If Fields is hurt and can't play, then obviously you can't bring him up. But if he's just hitting poorly in the minors, I would still bring him up to give us an offensive option over Konerko, Thome, and Swisher. He proved he could hit major league pitching last year, so I would give him the chance to do it again. If our scouts think Brad Eldred is a better option at this point, fine. Because other than Brian Anderson, we have no one on the bench that Ozzie can use.

Do you have a better solution?

I could care less what number you are for starters. I went to my first game in 1966 and my favorite players were Pete Ward, Smokey Burgess, and Don Buford. I was going to games in 1969 and 1970, when you became a fan, as the guest of my father, who was a season ticket holder at the time. Anything else you'd like to know historically?

I mentioned it has been noted, and posted, several times on this site that Fields was hurt. Yet you started a thread suggesting he be brought up. I responded by saying read more and start less threads. Pretty simple concept.

Yes, I have a better solution. Don't bring up players who are performing mediocre in AAA, don't bring up what I consider to be "never were's" who are slugging HR's in bandbox minor league parks and who, by the way, have a .199 major league career batting average and oh, strike out 1 of 3 times at the plate in the minors. Then, the next part of my solution is to go out and get a catalyst, a leadoff hitter who can spark the team. This too has been posted countless times on this board recently. Again, maybe read a few threads before you are so quick to start a new one.

Buehrle is still on the team by the way, he didn't get traded. How about those Nationals?

QUOTE (whitesoxbrian @ Jun 3, 2008 -> 12:01 PM)
I know that was probably sarcasm, but there's no way JR/KW would pony up $22 million for 1 year for Barry, especially not at this time with all the charges.

Yea well I am sure it won't take that kind of money, but point taken that they wouldn't sign him.

QUOTE (whitesoxbrian @ Jun 3, 2008 -> 11:01 AM)
I know that was probably sarcasm, but there's no way JR/KW would pony up $22 million for 1 year for Barry, especially not at this time with all the charges.

If Bonds is sitting around waiting for someone to throw him that kind of money, then he better throw his retirement party now.

QUOTE (whitesoxbrian @ Jun 3, 2008 -> 01:34 PM)
Bonds will want that money. Correct me if I'm wrong, but SF gave him around $20 million to play last season.

Sure he wants it. But nobody is going to give him that anymore