MLB Draft and the White Sox

HuskyCaucasian

QUOTE (BearSox @ Jun 7, 2008 -> 06:48 AM)
Fine, but there is no denying the similarites between KWjr. and Owens.

KW didn't draft his son, it was his scouts' call. I think the Yankees drafted a 102 year old ex Negro League player around the same time. The whole MLB draft is a crapshoot. Even the first round a decent percentage never make it to the major leagues and most of them don't provide much impact. There will be guys from the draft picked after KW Jr. who will be good players and chances are a 22 year old who gets pinch hit for on his college team is a big overdraft in the 6th round, but at least he will sign. People love the Jordan Danks pick, but if he doesn't sign, its a worse pick than Junior.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jun 7, 2008 -> 06:14 AM)
KW didn't draft his son, it was his scouts' call. I think the Yankees drafted a 102 year old ex Negro League player around the same time. The whole MLB draft is a crapshoot. Even the first round a decent percentage never make it to the major leagues and most of them don't provide much impact. There will be guys from the draft picked after KW Jr. who will be good players and chances are a 22 year old who gets pinch hit for on his college team is a big overdraft in the 6th round, but at least he will sign. People love the Jordan Danks pick, but if he doesn't sign, its a worse pick than Junior.

No they didn't and that was something completely different. It was a tribute to all the living Negro players. Each team drafted one in honor of them.

And lol if actually believe it was the scouts call on drafting KWjr. How naive can you be?

While you might consider the MLB draft a "crapshoot", you still drafted the BPA, especially in the first 10 rounds.

Edited by BearSox

QUOTE (BearSox @ Jun 7, 2008 -> 07:32 AM)
No they didn't and that was something completely different. It was a tribute to all the living Negro players. Each team drafted one in honor of them.

And lol if actually believe it was the scouts call on drafting KWjr. How naive can you be?

While you might consider the MLB draft a "crapshoot", you still drafted the BPA, especially in the first 10 rounds.

I'm not very naive. No way KW would overrule his scouts and pick his kid in the 6th round. I do agree to a point, I don't think if the guy was exact same player and his name was Jim Hendry Jr. there is any chance the White Sox would have selected him there. And it is pretty scary in a draft where you pick a ton of players, they seem to be out of names by that round, but 10 years from now when you go back to the 6th round, KWJR will most likely have the same amount of major league success as everyone except perhaps 1 or 2 from that round, if that many, and he'll have the same amount of success as some of the names thrown around on this board for the Sox to draft in the first round paying them millions.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jun 7, 2008 -> 10:07 AM)
I'm not very naive. No way KW would overrule his scouts and pick his kid in the 6th round.

I guess I can see your side. I mean the Sox scouts have been far from good at the draft so it's very possible they either 1. thought KW JR was the BPA or 2. Wanted to kiss KW's butt for job security because they no they're not very good at what they do. :notworthy :notworthy

QUOTE (SadChiSoxFanOptimist @ Jun 6, 2008 -> 06:35 PM)
Forgive me if this has been posted, but I just read this from Keith Law at ESPN:

The worst pick of the day belongs to the White Sox, who took GM Kenny Williams' son in the fifth round. Kenny Williams Jr. is a senior at Wichita State who doesn't even play every day and who was ruled academically ineligible for the 2007 season. He's a good athlete and at least a 55 runner, but he's 22 years old, played in 12 games in total prior to 2008, and wasn't on most teams' draft boards, although two or three other teams appeared to have had him inside the 10th round. It is hard to imagine that he would have been their 5th-round pick if his name was Kenny Smith, but the White Sox liked Kenny Jr.'s athleticism, something that was relatively scarce in this draft's pool of college position players.

Kinda makes you proud to be a Sox Fan, huh?

He never should of been considered at all!

QUOTE (BearSox @ Jun 7, 2008 -> 06:48 AM)
Fine, but there is no denying the similarites between KWjr. and Owens.

Owens is a 27 year old slap hitting outfielder whose arm is only slightly stronger than mine, and I'm pretty sure I have something wrong with my shoulder too...his arm may even be just as strong as mine. He's also not 22 and just drafted out of Wichita State. He also doesn't have the pedrigree that Kenny Williams Jr has...KW was actually a pretty damn good prospect in his younger years and, from what I understand, really didn't become a non-factor until he was moved from the outfield to 3B. That fact actually makes it seem pretty reasonable as to why KW is afraid to move his good prospects all around the field.

The KW2 pick was a reach, but it's not a humongous reach like many are saying...I also think all of that was made up for by the fact that the Sox selected Danks in the 7th round, when he's probably a 2nd-4th round talent.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jun 9, 2008 -> 12:44 AM)
Owens is a 27 year old slap hitting outfielder whose arm is only slightly stronger than mine, and I'm pretty sure I have something wrong with my shoulder too...his arm may even be just as strong as mine. He's also not 22 and just drafted out of Wichita State. He also doesn't have the pedrigree that Kenny Williams Jr has...KW was actually a pretty damn good prospect in his younger years and, from what I understand, really didn't become a non-factor until he was moved from the outfield to 3B. That fact actually makes it seem pretty reasonable as to why KW is afraid to move his good prospects all around the field.

The KW2 pick was a reach, but it's not a humongous reach like many are saying...I also think all of that was made up for by the fact that the Sox selected Danks in the 7th round, when he's probably a 2nd-4th round talent.

When I am comparing the two, I am not talking about their arm, age, pedigree, or anything of that sorts. I compared their approach and swings. And at least from the left side, KWjr. is strikingly similar to Jerry Owens. I don't see what the big deal about me comparing their aproach and swing is.

QUOTE (BearSox @ Jun 7, 2008 -> 08:32 AM)

Well, if you were a GM and you had a son who was an athlete in the sport you managed in, would you really want to go out of your way to bring that potential drama to your team?