Signings from the 2008 Draft

NorthSideSox72

QUOTE (Omnipotent Grab @ Jul 13, 2008 -> 09:48 AM)
I doubt the Danks signing will be announced before 8/15 since it will be an overslot bonus. Beckham should be signed by now though. I wish we had both in the system already but we have to wait. f*** it.

Welcome aboard. I think Beckham is happy taking a little break from baseball before signing and getting about a month or so of minor league ball. In fact, I think both will sign at very similar points (probably in the next 2 weeks). You may be right on Danks, but I think as long as they hold off till around the end of the month they won't get too much heat from MLB.

• Replies 190
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Per Mark Gonzalez on Danks:

I think the Sox will sign Jordan. I was told by a source familiar with the situation that they just started negotiations and I think he'll be signed before the Aug. 15 deadline. Jordan wants to sign with the Sox.

It doesn't appear that the Sox will sign pitcher Kyle Long, their 23rd round pick in the 2008 draft. Long, the son of former NFL great Howie Long, will honor his commitment to Florida State after a chat last week with a Sox scout.

http://blogs.chicagosports.chicagotribune....-league-dr.html

Edited by Ozzie Ball

QUOTE (chimpy2121 @ Jul 19, 2008 -> 12:31 AM)
You guys just didn't wana listen :P

I posted it.

QUOTE (knightni @ Jul 1, 2008 -> 07:05 PM)
I've heard that Kyle Long's dad wants him to play baseball eventually instead of football, but that they want a 1st round-level bonus.

I have a feeling that he's going back to school.

QUOTE (chimpy2121 @ Jun 21, 2008 -> 10:11 AM)
Kyle Long will be in Tallahassee today and will be taking Summer C classes which start Monday.

QUOTE (knightni @ Jul 19, 2008 -> 12:02 AM)
I posted it.

So did he, earlier. :)

Awesome. Long would sign, but only for first round money and while he had arguably first round potential, he wasn't near as clear cut as the guys who went 1st round (I'd have been willing to go anywhere from 2nd to 5th round money with Long and I think 2nd round money may have been pushing it, imo). The Sox put in a good effort but bottom line, there is no reason they should have offered 1st round money.

Great stuff on Danks.

• 2 weeks later...
QUOTE (maggsmaggs @ Aug 5, 2008 -> 04:42 PM)
Sox have a few top guys unsigned. Kinda getting worried about Danks and Beckham. I know Beckham has no reason to go back, but the fact that we haven't heard anything positive makes me worry. Same with Danks.

I think Beckham might be waiting for the other guys to sign, especially since it's guys who are looking for huge deals. I'm not too concerned about Beckham not signing. Remember this...if for some reason he doesn't sign, we get the 8th pick compensation again.