Giles available?

southsider2k5

Guest JimH

Giles would be an interesting add, but the Pirates have been hot lately so I'm not sure they're in a hurry to trade him. He's about the same skill level as Everett in CF (ok maybe a little better) but his skills are starting erode and he's not in my opinion an everyday CF.

Jeremy Reed ... your table is waiting. Any time you're ready ... we're ready.

Giles has played CF before....I've seen him in highlights playing CF. Not sure how good he is in CF though.

As for his no-trade clause....he apparently will invoke it for the Twins and he will also invoke it for us. We tried to get him along with Ritchie.....and we couldn't, because he would have invoked the clause.

Now that I've seen this, I can confidently say that this guy is not the guy in our mindblowing deal. Why would we need ANOTHER OFer? We already have atleast 6 guys on our major league roster that can play OF, and 8 if you include Valentin and Graffy(I don't, but they can).

You'd love to have Giles on your team. He's a throwback to another era and he hits the hell out of the ball. He worked really hard to become an excellent defensive outfielder, but he is much more suited to LF than CF. I don't know if he's changed his mind, but in the past he's made it clear that there are only a select few teams he's consider playing for and the White Sox weren't one of them.

Giles could be the "mind blowing" guy KW was talking about. I would love Giles in black and white pinstripes! (Thats White Sox pinstripes not Yankee!)

I was on vacation last week. I must have missed the "mind blowing" comment. Could someone post it for me or point me in the right direction?

Giles would be an interesting add, but the Pirates have been hot lately so I'm not sure they're in a hurry to trade him.  He's about the same skill level as Everett in CF (ok maybe a little better) but his skills are starting erode and he's not in my opinion an everyday CF.

Jeremy Reed ... your table is waiting.  Any time you're ready ... we're ready.

His skills are not starting to erode, he's been hurt this year and since he's been healthy, he's been on fire. Check his stats for the past few weeks.

He's easily one of the 15 best outfielders in baseball (overall) and you could make a case for him being top 10.

'Hawk' was on the radio last week after the Alomar and Everett deals went down and said the sox are working on another deal and if it happens it will "blow you away". :huh:

Thanks. I did hear that afterall.

something supposedly that big would have espn.com/insider. Nothing gets by Peter gammons and nothing was ever eported there. I am sure calls were made but you all know how KW is with blockbuster deals.

Peter Gammons is one of the most unrelaible sources out there. Half of the things he reports never come true and the other half are slightly altered when they do happen. I don't take a word he says seriously. He's simply a Red Sox homer.

Peter Gammons is one of the most unrelaible sources out there.  Half of the things he reports never come true and the other half are slightly altered when they do happen.  I don't take a word he says seriously.  He's simply a Red Sox homer.

Yeah I guess thats why he knew the 2 trades we made before anyone else in the media last week. Yes he is a Red Sox homer but he knows his stuff

something supposedly that big would have espn.com/insider. Nothing gets by Peter gammons and nothing was ever eported there. I am sure calls were made but you all know how KW is with blockbuster deals.

I think KW may of made a few calls inquiring if guys were available and that was about it.

Giles would be a great pickup. He really has an affordable deal and its long term. The thing I Fear is he'd be kind of a improvement the next two years and then I think he'd kind of replace Magglio who will go elsewhere if he demands 14 mill a year.

Like I say 10 or 11 is about as high as I'd ever go and I'd hate to do that. Giles is like 8 mill a year longterm I think.

Reports say the Pirates are looking for a team to take the salary and give them two to three good prospects. IF thats what they are asking for I'd be on the horn right now trying to get something done and then package Lee for a starter or reliever. Giles can play center better then Everett and that would be enough.

As long as they get a reliever I'm happy with adding Giles.

I'd probably go Thomas, Giles, Ordonez and I'd have Everett in the 2 hole with Daubach in the 6 hole.

To make it easier

Alomar (S)

Everett (S)

Thomas ®

Giles (L)

Maggs ®

Daubach (L)

Crede ®

Jose (S)

Olivo/Alomar ®

Konerko, Rowand, Harris, Graffy and one of the catchers on the bench.

Damn you don't get much more balanced then that.

Yeah I guess thats why he knew the 2 trades we made before anyone else in the media last week.  Yes he is a Red Sox homer but he knows his stuff

In Moneyball it mentioned how Gammons is the one guy Beane will talk to because he really knows whats going on and that Gammons will tell Beane things that he won't even know about during the deadline.

He basically tells Gammon I'll give you inside info if you tell me what you here.

The reason Beane is so good during the deadline is he knows who is interested in what more then anyone else so he knows exactly what the market is for a player and whose shopping who. If he knows there is a guy he wants and another team has a better offer for that player. He may just offer a guy similar to what that team is looking for (Say a lefty reliever) for a cheap price. That team will then say hey if I can get him for that and then drop the offer on the guy Beane wants and he'll then jump all over it.

My guess is the "mind blowing" trades are history and were never really close to happening.  I'm sure discussions existed, but if they truly got close, we'd have heard more, I believe.

I tend to agree. If the Mother-of-all-Trades was going to happen I think it would be reorted on more in depth by the Chitown press and the likes of ESPN.

However, just talking about Giles now, the Sox have had interest in him for a long time. We tried to get him when we got Ritchie in the trade last year. He is an aggressive hitter and I think an excellent fielder. He made the BBTN highlights with an absolute remarkable catch in left field where he was in the air facing into the stands and reached in to catch a ball and take a homer away.

Brian Giles in the past said he wouldn't waive his no trade clause, but at that point I don't think Chicago looked near as interesting as it does now. The Pirates are still struggling even with the new stadium and the Sox really do have a pretty good nucleus and should win now and in the future.

With the latest acquisitions it really shows the Sox are trying to win and that type of statement really makes a difference when it comes to a player waiving a "no trade clause".

Peter Gammons is one of the most unrelaible sources out there.  Half of the things he reports never come true and the other half are slightly altered when they do happen.  I don't take a word he says seriously.  He's simply a Red Sox homer.

Do we have to start this crap again?

The guy is one of the most respected members of the baseball media. No one is right all the time unless they wait until a deal is done before mentioning it.

I'll listen to Gammons any day and have no problem believing what he says is reliable. Does that mean every possibility he tosses out is going to happen? Hell no, that's not realistic.

'Hawk' was on the radio last week after the Alomar and Everett deals went down and said the sox are working on another deal and if it happens it will "blow you away". :huh:

I think he was talking about another pitcher... that's what I heard anyway. :huh:

I hope they get some pen help. especially now that wunsch was shut down from throwing again. Either way we need to win most of our games here in july as the schedule is basically all AL West in August and Boston, MYY, KC & MIN in Sept. Not looking too good for us if we can't even get past TB & DET! :bang

Brian Giles in the past said he wouldn't waive his no trade clause, but at that point I don't think Chicago looked near as interesting as it does now.  The Pirates are still struggling even with the new stadium and the Sox really do have a pretty good nucleus and should win now and in the future. 

With the latest acquisitions it really shows the Sox are trying to win and that type of statement really makes a difference when it comes to a player waiving a "no trade clause".

I'm thinking if he won't accept a trade to Minnesota, a team that is higher in the standings then us(and they also have a much better bullpen), then why would he want to come here? Makes no sense to me.

Do we have to start this crap again? 

The guy is one of the most respected members of the baseball media.  No one is right all the time unless they wait until a deal is done before mentioning it. 

I'll listen to Gammons any day and have no problem believing what he says is reliable.  Does that mean every possibility he tosses out is going to happen?  Hell no, that's not realistic.

It's true that Gammons puts out information on possible deals that never happen. However, that's his job-put out information-and all baseball fans want to hear the rumors out there. Gammons reports what he hears and sometimes he is right. I am sure there are tons of trade ideas passed around GM to GM and most of them don't pan out. He is a Red Sox supporter no doubt, but all in all I think his reporting is pretty even. I like listening to what's up in the majors and have a harder time putting up with Harold Reynolds and Bobby Valentine and their happy babbling back and forth than I do Gammons.