Official 2008-2009 NHL Thread

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Nov 22, 2008 -> 09:59 PM)
Wow. I turned the game off when it got to 3-0. I clearly have a lot to learn about Hockey.

Ehh you aren't too far off. A lot of teams are dead when it's 3-0 (especially on the road), but the Hawks have a lot of firepower and thus aren't among those teams.

Edited by whitesoxfan101

That was such a fun Hawks game to watch last night.

What is the real potential of Versteeg?I dont know if this a kid that is just having a tremendous stretch of games or if he is getting better with the more playing time he gets.

QUOTE (shipps @ Nov 23, 2008 -> 09:43 AM)
That was such a fun Hawks game to watch last night.

What is the real potential of Versteeg?I dont know if this a kid that is just having a tremendous stretch of games or if he is getting better with the more playing time he gets.

It's still a little too early to make some sort of final declaration on Versteeg, but nothing he's doing right now suggests that he'd be a flash in the pan. He's playing smart, he has great vision (that pass to Kane from behind the net was gorgeous), and the fact that he's spending a lot of ice time with guys like Kane and Sharp sure doesn't hurt his chances.

QUOTE (SoxFanForever @ Nov 25, 2008 -> 12:23 PM)
I love how Barry Rozner keeps writing stupid articles about how we should get Chelios because it is too early to make Toews Captain and #1 Center.

If the Hawks got CheapShot back I'd ban myself from watching them until he dragged his old, slow, dirty ass into retirement.

I think I like Barry Bonds more than I like CheapShot.

QUOTE (The Critic @ Nov 25, 2008 -> 11:25 AM)
If the Hawks got CheapShot back I'd ban myself from watching them until he dragged his old, slow, dirty ass into retirement.

I think I like Barry Bonds more than I like CheapShot.

He's easily one of my favorite blackhawks of all time. Great guy.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Nov 25, 2008 -> 01:17 PM)
He's easily one of my favorite blackhawks of all time. Great guy.

That.

I don't see why any Blackhawks fan would hate Chris Chelios. He's one of the best players we've ever had, and he was devoted to the team and the city far longer than he should have been. Cheli's Chili was a staple of pre-games about 10 years ago... The Hawks shipped him out because he was "done", yet he played almost 10 more years, and was above-average for about 7 of them.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Nov 25, 2008 -> 02:40 PM)
That.

I don't see why any Blackhawks fan would hate Chris Chelios. He's one of the best players we've ever had, and he was devoted to the team and the city far longer than he should have been. Cheli's Chili was a staple of pre-games about 10 years ago... The Hawks shipped him out because he was "done", yet he played almost 10 more years, and was above-average for about 7 of them.

Never liked him one bit.

He always went cheap-shotting after smaller players and always hid from bigger players.

I never stepped foot in his bar, either. I wouldn't give him one dollar.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Nov 25, 2008 -> 01:40 PM)
That.

Yup, nice guy in the community , born here, local guy lived in Evergreen Park. He was part of some of my favorite Hawks teams of all time. The guy is one of the best American born players of all time.

QUOTE (SoxFanForever @ Nov 25, 2008 -> 02:28 PM)
I definitely loved him as a player when he was here and always will. However, to suggest that we should bring him in now because Toews isn't ready to be captain is the dumbest thing I've read in a while.

That's true, and would be pointless.

If Toews isn't ready to be captain, then give it to Campbell.

We do need to do something to jumpstart Toews' goal-scoring prowess.

In a way, I see Cheli almost like an AJ, except I think Cheli was a better at hockey than AJ is at baseball. I loved him as a Blackhawk, but hated to see him go to the Wings, and would have booed him when he brought the Cup to the Cell this Summer, if I was there.

I lost a lot of respect for Cheli after his Olympic team trashed their hotel rooms after the games in Nagano, Japan (I think it was). IIRC, he was either captain of that team, or reports made him out to be one of the main vandals. That might be unfair of me to single him out (that whole team was an embarassment for their actions and play) but oh well.

We don't need him now, especially with Wiz coming back to the D-line in a couple weeks. And taking the C away from Toewes would be a horrible idea, imo.

QUOTE (PlaySumFnJurny @ Nov 26, 2008 -> 07:22 AM)
I lost a lot of respect for Cheli after his Olympic team trashed their hotel rooms after the games in Nagano, Japan (I think it was). IIRC, he was either captain of that team, or reports made him out to be one of the main vandals.

He was the captain, he was NOT one of the vandals. Jeremy Roenick and Keith Tkachuk were the main vandals, and when finding out they destroyed their hotel room(s), Chelios PERSONALLY PAID FOR THE DAMAGES because he felt responsible as team captain.

The guy is nothing but a class act, and I feel his #7 should hang in the rafters.