Official 2008-2009 NHL Thread

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Tony82087 @ Apr 22, 2009 -> 11:29 PM)
Heartbreaking game. I know they had an impressive comeback, but it just a bigger kick in the nuts.

I will say this. In no other sport do you come away hating the opposition more than in hockey. I despise the Flames.

That is really true, however, no team will ever be able to beat my disdain for the f***ing Twins. Jokinen, Iginla and Phaneuf make me want to punch infants.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Apr 23, 2009 -> 12:29 AM)
Patrick Kane had a f***ing gift-wrapped opportunity and he shot the puck like 2 feet wide. I'm starting to give up on this idiot.

I need to stop becoming invested in teams that when push comes to shove, don't seem to give a damn. That's why i love the Sox they work their asses off despite limitations, these Hawks insist on being dominated by them.

QUOTE (Tony82087 @ Apr 22, 2009 -> 11:31 PM)
Next off-season, when Kane-JT-Keith are all FA's, if one has to go(because of Campbell contract f*** up) the choice IMO is an easy one.
Agreed. Ever since he injured his ankle before the Winter Classic and then was PR-forced to play in that game, Kane hasn't been the same.

We might as well have me out there, because I damn sure could have hit the net on that attempt. He just f***ing THREW it in there and pushed it two feet wide from 4 feet away. Honestly, an NHL player puts that one not only on the net, but in the corner for a tie game.

Unacceptable from anyone, let alone the first overall selection who has regressed in his 2nd season.

We still hold home ice, but we woke up this beast of a top line on Calgary and are in serious trouble.

Edited by Steve9347

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Apr 22, 2009 -> 11:31 PM)
I need to stop becoming invested in teams that when push comes to shove, don't seem to give a damn. That's why i love the Sox they work their asses off despite limitations, these Hawks insist on being dominated by them.

A team coming back from a 3 goal deficit on the road clearly doesn't give a damn.

gmafb

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Apr 22, 2009 -> 11:34 PM)
Agreed. Ever since he injured his ankle before the Winter Classic and then was PR-forced to play in that game, Kane hasn't been the same.

We might as well have me out there, because I damn sure could have hit the net on that attempt. He just f***ing THREW it in there and pushed it two feet wide from 4 feet away. Honestly, an NHL player puts that one not only on the net, but in the corner for a tie game.

Unacceptable from anyone, let alone the first overall selection who has regressed in his 2nd season.

We still hold home ice, but we woke up this beast of a top line on Calgary and are in serious trouble.

You make it sound like it was a tap in or something. It wasn't. Don't take such a microscopic look at the game by doing that.

Some of the other things you said are warranted, but you're off on 'the shot.' There's so much blame to be thrown at other guys.

The guy still had 70 points in 80 games, let's calm down a bit here.

QUOTE (IlliniKrush @ Apr 22, 2009 -> 11:38 PM)
You make it sound like it was a tap in or something. It wasn't. Don't take such a microscopic look at the game by doing that.

Some of the other things you said are warranted, but you're off on 'the shot.' There's so much blame to be thrown at other guys.

The guy still had 70 points in 80 games, let's calm down a bit here.

Don't give me that crap. He's supposed to be one of our top 3 players. He had time, he was right in front of the net and he shoudl have scored.

He had 70 points, but he had about 48 of those in the first 42 games or something wild like that. He's been Versteeg-lite since he got injured.

We still hold home ice, and the Flames are going to remember what a pain it is to play in the UC, but Kaner missed a couple of golden opportunities, and to be honest, we looked like we didn't belong on the ice with the Flames in that 3rd period. Their top line was wayyyyy more dominant than anything we could put together.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Apr 22, 2009 -> 11:41 PM)
Don't give me that crap. He's supposed to be one of our top 3 players. He had time, he was right in front of the net and he shoudl have scored.

He had 70 points, but he had about 48 of those in the first 42 games or something wild like that. He's been Versteeg-lite since he got injured.

We still hold home ice, and the Flames are going to remember what a pain it is to play in the UC, but Kaner missed a couple of golden opportunities, and to be honest, we looked like we didn't belong on the ice with the Flames in that 3rd period. Their top line was wayyyyy more dominant than anything we could put together.

I completely disagree with your assessment and expectation of guaranteed goal on a last minute shot, I'll leave it at that. It's not a video game.

He was far from the only one that didn't have his best game out there.

You're missing the forest for the tree.

QUOTE (Tony82087 @ Apr 22, 2009 -> 11:46 PM)
Watching the career of Kane is going to be extremely interesting. I'm really not sure which way it's going to go. I mean, it's not like guys his size haven't survived the league(Marty St. Louis comes to mind) but with Kane starting to get the soft tag put on him, it will be interesting to see how he responses.

At this point, I don't know if I would put the "Franchise" tag on him yet. It's clear Toews has it, and for me, Keith in basically invaluable to this team.

Agreed and I've liked Toews more than Kane from day one, even though a lot of people were caught up in the flash and #1 overall of Kane.

Don't get me wrong we should want to keep all 3 because they are all excellent players, we just don't know if that's possible because of Rockraines' boy.

QUOTE (IlliniKrush @ Apr 23, 2009 -> 12:35 AM)
A team coming back from a 3 goal deficit on the road clearly doesn't give a damn.

gmafb

Way to go and kick my ass, illini. You're completley correct, and the comeback was impressive. I'm just pretty pissed off over some of the play i saw towards the end of the game

QUOTE (IlliniKrush @ Apr 22, 2009 -> 11:47 PM)
I completely disagree with your assessment and expectation of guaranteed goal on a last minute shot, I'll leave it at that. It's not a video game.

He was far from the only one that didn't have his best game out there.

You're missing the forest for the tree.

You should try to be more full of yourself.

I'm not saying he should have burried it. I'm saying he shouldn't have missed the freaking net by 2 goddamned feet. Your inability to comprehend such a simple concept shows that you have the blinders on...

I've never seen a worse wrist shot in my life. I'm well-aware there were other guys who sucked it up in that game, but Kane had the game on his stick and completely wet the bed. That was the least accurate wrist-shot I've seen all season, and it came at a very important time.

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Apr 22, 2009 -> 11:51 PM)
Way to go and kick my ass, illini. You're completley correct, and the comeback was impressive. I'm just pretty pissed off over some of the play i saw towards the end of the game

We're all pissed as f***, they just came up short tonight and now Saturday is pretty much a must win.

But I don't think any of it is really due to a lack of effort or not caring. There are plenty of mistakes being made, but this team is playing hard. They just didn't get the goal in the 3rd to take the lead or tie it, and Calgary pounded home a rebound.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Apr 22, 2009 -> 11:52 PM)
You should try to be more full of yourself.

I'm not saying he should have burried it. I'm saying he shouldn't have missed the freaking net by 2 goddamned feet. Your inability to comprehend such a simple concept shows that you have the blinders on...

I've never seen a worse wrist shot in my life. I'm well-aware there were other guys who sucked it up in that game, but Kane had the game on his stick and completely wet the bed. That was the least accurate wrist-shot I've seen all season, and it came at a very important time.

OK, now I'm full of myself for not simply focusing on one shot by one guy near the end of the game, and instead dissecting an entire game.

Got it. Carry on.

QUOTE (IlliniKrush @ Apr 22, 2009 -> 11:55 PM)
OK, now I'm full of myself for not simply focusing on one shot by one guy near the end of the game, and instead dissecting an entire game.

Got it. Carry on.

Or maybe you are full of yourself for telling me it wasn't a video game. That was a rude, full of yourself comment and you know it. Edited by Steve9347

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Apr 22, 2009 -> 11:57 PM)
Or maybe you are full of yourself for telling me it wasn't a video game. That was a rude, full of yourself comment and you know it.

You said should have scored, right?. I know that you know no chance like that is a 'should have scored' so I don't know why you said it. You can't always just snipe a 3 inch by 3 inch corner and beat Kip. That's what your comments led me to believe, like it was a guaranteed goal in a video game.

QUOTE (IlliniKrush @ Apr 23, 2009 -> 12:02 AM)
You said should have scored, right?. I know that you know no chance like that is a 'should have scored' so I don't know why you said it. You can't always just snipe a 3 inch by 3 inch corner and beat Kip. That's what your comments led me to believe, like it was a guaranteed goal in a video game.

Gotya,

I believe I said, or certainly meant to convey, that elite players should score there, but not getting a shot on net was the inexcusable part. He pushed it 2 feet wide from 4 feet away, and this was minutes after lofting a weak wrist shot into the gut of Kip instead of something that might stand a chance.

Regardless, the team on a whole played like crap last night, and the Flames' top line is really hurting us. Game 5 has become a must-win.

Edited by Steve9347

Hawks from last night

The Good:

-The team battled.

-Still 2-2. Did anyone expect to sweep Calgary?

-Buff is playing well. Pahlsson had a nice game yesterday.

-Doing great in the circles

-It's now best 2 of 3...hold serve at home and we move on

The Bad:

-Our stars struggled.

-Their #1 line absolutely dominated us

-I still don't think we're big enough

-Our blueline crapped it's pants a few times

-Our goaltending has been abysmal in Game 3, and Game 4

Edited by kwolf68

Wow, releasing one of the league's best young players because he missed a snap shot on a bouncing rolling puck, now I've seen everything. This thread is worse than a Sox loser thread.

Seabrook, Walker, and H-Jalms had horrid games IMO. Seabs was a direct contributor to 2 goals against, which cannot happen. Big Buff was great last night, but other players need to take his cue and start asserting themselves in the offensive zone. Some of the D had good games (Barker, Soup, Keith for the most part) and guys like Pahlsson stepped up, but we need more contribution from some of their other linemates as well.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Apr 23, 2009 -> 11:20 AM)
Wow, releasing one of the league's best young players because he missed a snap shot on a bouncing rolling puck, now I've seen everything.

I don't think you have. Absolutely no one said to release the guy. You're smoking some Danks.

QUOTE (IlliniKrush @ Apr 22, 2009 -> 11:49 PM)
we just don't know if that's possible because of Rockraines' boy.

Just because I oppose your nonsensical rants blaming losing streaks on a player who YOU were excited to sign, doesnt mean he's my boy, in fact I dont like him much at all. You should bookmark post 1731 in this thread to remember how ridiculous you are on this subject.

Edited by RockRaines

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Apr 23, 2009 -> 11:36 AM)
I don't think you have. Absolutely no one said to release the guy. You're smoking some Danks.

Always. But I take "giving up on him" and "letting him go" as wanting the guy off the team. He was noticably a step slow last night, but still made his presence felt. I was actually surprised he got that shot off considering how much it was rolling.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Apr 23, 2009 -> 08:04 AM)
Gotya,

I believe I said, or certainly meant to convey, that elite players should score there, but not getting a shot on net was the inexcusable part. He pushed it 2 feet wide from 4 feet away, and this was minutes after lofting a weak wrist shot into the gut of Kip instead of something that might stand a chance.

Regardless, the team on a whole played like crap last night, and the Flames' top line is really hurting us. Game 5 has become a must-win.

I went back and looked it again...the pass was well behind him, and he tried to get the shot off as quickly as possible and by the shot blocker that was going down in front of him. The shot did look really awkward, but there was a good reason for it. So yes it looked pretty goofy.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Apr 23, 2009 -> 11:53 AM)
Just because I oppose your nonsensical rants blaming losing streaks on a player who YOU were excited to sign, doesnt mean he's my boy, in fact I dont like him much at all. You should bookmark post 1731 in this thread to remember how ridiculous you are on this subject.

If you want nonsensical, read any of your hockey posts. You have brought that quote up many times, at which point I said he would be better than Jason Williams on the PP (fact), that his play in the defensive zone leaves something to be desired (fact) and that he is not physical pretty much at all (fact).

This year, his defense has been even worse than anyone thought it would be!

Thanks for playing.

Edited by IlliniKrush